Programming Language

sanketp60

Programming Language  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which programming language shall I study for baseline?

Hey there, I am currently learning and studying B Tech in Computers. So, which programming language is best to learn as an bassline?

Thankful for your feedback!

Good Day OR Night! :P

3 minutes ago, sanketp60 said:

Hey there, I am currently learning and studying B Tech in Computers. So, which programming language is best to learn as an bassline?

Right now i am learning C# for my first programming language, apparently its easier then C++ and can be used in everything but out of these three, your best choice is probably Python

C++ I believe is more widely used then Python. I would personally learn C++.

18 minutes ago, sanketp60 said:

on this question you will get 100 different answers if you ask 100 different people, 

I say python. Easy to learn and very powerful.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

It depends. If you have a basic understanding of programming, start with Java/C++. If you're totally new, Python is a good place to start. It's not used as much as others but it's certainly the easiest to grasp for a beginner. 

I did Computer Science at Uni and I went in with a basic understanding of Java and Python. Created a basic calculator in both. Must say it helped me out a lot in first and second year when learning different languages.

Once you know one, learning others is a lot easier. 

Web master race though.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

3 hours ago, xentropa said:

I would say Java, but C++ is really similar to JAVA so

You are completely wrong there, the only remote similarity is the most basic syntax otherwise they are completely different.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I've learned to hate java from learning other languages. And it can get annoying. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

37 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, they're both OOP languages too. :P

Completely different styles of OOP though. Java is the cram it down your throat forced OOP for everything while C++ is just like, classes are thing, use them if you want. A lot of the big names in C++ even recommend using free functions over member functions whenever possible. C++ also has things that just can't be implemented as member functions no mater how much you want them to be.

1 minute ago, fizzlesticks said:

Completely different styles of OOP though. Java is the cram it down your throat forced OOP for everything while C++ is just like, classes are thing, use them if you want. A lot of the big names in C++ even recommend using free functions over member functions whenever possible.

However one could argue that mixing programming paradigms in the project for no reason other than just because someone said to do so is bad coding practice. If you weren't going to use the OOP features of C++, why bother using C++ at all? You can still have private and public concepts in C.

1 minute ago, fizzlesticks said:

C++ also has things that just can't be implemented as member functions no mater how much you want them to be.

Like what?

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you weren't going to use the OOP features of C++, why bother using C++ at all?

Because C++ provides tons of features that have nothing to do with OOP like templates, overloading, exceptions, the STL etc.

35 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Like what?

Things that are designed to be overloaded for custom types. For example, if you want to be able to std::cout << something you need to overload ostream operator<<. It would make perfect sense to make that a member function of the class that you're writing it for but you can't. 

Python. Simple and easy language and great baseline for starters + its really powerful. 

If you want, you can learn one of frameworks for python, like Django. 

Django is really popular lately.

Don't start with Python unless you don't want to learn much about programming. Python is horrible. The whole "whitespace is syntax" debacle contradicts everything that is considered good style in all other common programming languages.

If I were you, I'd choose C++ or Delphi; Delphi because it is awesome for RAD (you get really mature results really fast), C++ because it has no limits especially when you aim at performance or multi-platform compatibility. I regularly use both these days. You might want to start with Lazarus though, Delphi is somewhat expensive and Lazarus supports a similar Object Pascal syntax.

Write in C.

C++ is not the ideal programming language to start with in my opinion, but if that's the only industry-standard option you have to choose from, I'd say go for it.

Java is the most ideal programming language for starters if you ask me.

Java is like C++ with more restrictions, especially concerning memory management. Also it's horribly slow. You should not use it.

Write in C.

I would like to point out that the new versions of C++ (11, 14, upcoming 17) are progressively making C++ simpler. Much of the old obfuscated way of doing things is still there for compatibility reasons but new programmers should focus on the new way of doing things and it's becoming much less cluttered and more elegant.

Herb Sutter had a nice presentation about it a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEx5DNLWGgA

C++17 is especially nice since most reasons to use the Boost libraries (including <filesystem>) are a part of std:: now. GCC and MSVC++ already support most of it. C++20 will probably get std::asio too. :) 

Write in C.

Of those choices, Python.  Your first language isn't something you'll be using later on.

I started with SCHEME.  It's a language from the depths of hell that makes you want to kill yourself.  It's extremely limited.  That's a good thing though, because it teaches you how to think outside the box and get creative.  While I'm not an amazing coder overall, I'm pretty good at optimization, and that's all because of SCHEME.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

31 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your first language isn't something you'll be using later on.

Of course it is, unless you want to have quick results which will be useless in your later programming career. If you choose a language as your first language which you don't plan to ever use again, you're effectively wasting time.

31 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I started with SCHEME. (...) It's extremely limited.

No, it's not. You're doing it wrong.

Write in C.

6 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Of course it is, unless you want to have quick results which will be useless in your later programming career. If you choose a language as your first language which you don't plan to ever use again, you're effectively wasting time.

No, it's not. You're doing it wrong.

Programs like Scheme are designed for one thing: to teach.  Find me one complex program that's written in Scheme.  Or Python, for that matter.

The lessons you learn from those languages carry over to others.  You can go from Java to C without much adjustment.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Programs like Scheme are designed for one thing: to teach.

Pascal, Go and Python are. Scheme is not.

Find me one complex program that's written in SCHEME.

Scheme is the language of GNU Guile, so, basically, large parts of GIMP. Other than that, it depends what you call "complex".

Or Python, for that matter.

OpenStack.

Write in C.