Do you need the 'K'

Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,
51 minutes ago, Jamie_Taylor_4200 said:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I needed it (I'm new to this PC building thingy) 

The ability to overclock comes at a hefty premium, but your CPU will last you a hell of a lot longer. Overclocking an older CPU allows it to keep up with current CPUs, and thus, the demands of current games and applications.

The Core i5 2500 and Core i5 2500k both came out six years ago. One of those CPUs is an antique that can't even keep up with Skylake or Kabylake i3s. But the 2500k? With a good overclock, it's on even footing with any modern quad-core. 

You don't need it, and a modern Core i5 or Core i7 CPU will last you longer, but if you really want to go the distance without upgrading, an K-CPU is a very good choice. Any overclockable chip is. That's why Zen is so promising, because all Zen chips are going to be overclockable, and overclocking motherboards will be available at the mid-range.

Hello, My name is Jamie I'm building a new gaming PC and I was wondering if I need the K (Overclockable) CPU?

- Thanks, Jamie

No.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

No.

Do you want to overclock? Get a K series processor and a Z series motherboard.

If you don't want to overclock, get the non-k series processors and a H or B series motherboard. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Taylor_4200 said:

If you would like help planning a new build, read this thread: 

and make a thread in the New Builds and Planning subforum.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you would like help planning a new build, read this thread: 

and make a thread in the New Builds and Planning subforum.

Thanks, That will be very helpful. =)

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Do you want to overclock? Get a K series processor and a Z series motherboard.

If you don't want to overclock, get the non-k series processors and a H or B series motherboard. 

Thanks!

You don't need it, but you want it xD

Which CPU do you want to buy?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Not necessary at all, only if you plan to overclock (You also need a Z170/Z270 motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler to do so though). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

51 minutes ago, Jamie_Taylor_4200 said:

The ability to overclock comes at a hefty premium, but your CPU will last you a hell of a lot longer. Overclocking an older CPU allows it to keep up with current CPUs, and thus, the demands of current games and applications.

The Core i5 2500 and Core i5 2500k both came out six years ago. One of those CPUs is an antique that can't even keep up with Skylake or Kabylake i3s. But the 2500k? With a good overclock, it's on even footing with any modern quad-core. 

You don't need it, and a modern Core i5 or Core i7 CPU will last you longer, but if you really want to go the distance without upgrading, an K-CPU is a very good choice. Any overclockable chip is. That's why Zen is so promising, because all Zen chips are going to be overclockable, and overclocking motherboards will be available at the mid-range.

2 hours ago, Simon771 said:

You don't need it, but you want it xD

Which CPU do you want to buy?

Either the 6600 or the 6600K

2 hours ago, Jamie_Taylor_4200 said:

Either the 6600 or the 6600K

Well if you are 100% sure that you won't be overclocking it, get 6600 non K CPU and H170 or B150 motherboard. It will be cheaper for you.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Personally, I would suggest getting a Z170 board, just in case you change your mind.  I didn't think I'd ever overclock, but I got a Z97 motherboard anyway because it was on sale.  I'm so glad I did, because it saved me money later when I got an overclockable CPU.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If you're going locked, go Kaby Lake instead of Skylake since Kaby has higher clockspeeds and supports DDR4-2400 RAM even on low end boards and locked cpus. For instance, the i5-7600 is 200 MHz faster than the i5-6600.