Bored Eighth Grader. What to do?

JohnnyCowboy1098
Go to solution Solved by Mug,

If you have the motivation, read as much as possible.

I'd recommend going into science if you're clever. There are actual jobs in science rather than made up ones like in history.

Like obviously, you're 14/15 so it's not exactly as if you're studying at a high level but if I was you, I'd look into this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Jonathan-Clayden/dp/0199270295

Don't buy it (fuck no) but it's free if you shop around on google ?‍☠️

It's "college" degree level - If you end up doing AP Chem then you'll find the PDF useful. If you end up doing a chemistry degree then if you know a fair chunk of the stuff in there you'll get the best marks in the class. Like I'm currently doing a masters and I barely know half the stuff in that book (then again, my project this year is on rates so organics isn't that important, would've been more useful to have done a maths degree for some of this shit).

Also, Biology is fucking useless. It's basically colouring in. The only job from a biology degree that isn't better with a chemistry degree is biology teacher. Don't do Physics, it's a waste of your time.

So I'm in the eighth grade and(forgive my vanity) consider myself relatively smart, and was wondering, considering the extent of my education is the eighth grade, what some interesting and understandable higher level concepts and things to learn about might be, specifically in literature and english, math, and science. I have personally dabbled just a bit in philosophy as well, having read part of The Republic, and have had a similar discussion as in the book with my parents. Politics, and other similar topics interest me as well. Logic is another. Thanks! Also apologies for seeming pretentious, condescending, etc. in advance.

Felt the same back then but decided to go ahead and already try to figure out what I wanted for a professional career. Many people doesn't know what to do after the general school/education so I guess you could spend some time ln that and get ahead of it. Then once your current education is done, you can jump right onto the next.

with that said, thank god i'm done with school :D 

If you have the motivation, read as much as possible.

I'd recommend going into science if you're clever. There are actual jobs in science rather than made up ones like in history.

Like obviously, you're 14/15 so it's not exactly as if you're studying at a high level but if I was you, I'd look into this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Jonathan-Clayden/dp/0199270295

Don't buy it (fuck no) but it's free if you shop around on google ?‍☠️

It's "college" degree level - If you end up doing AP Chem then you'll find the PDF useful. If you end up doing a chemistry degree then if you know a fair chunk of the stuff in there you'll get the best marks in the class. Like I'm currently doing a masters and I barely know half the stuff in that book (then again, my project this year is on rates so organics isn't that important, would've been more useful to have done a maths degree for some of this shit).

Also, Biology is fucking useless. It's basically colouring in. The only job from a biology degree that isn't better with a chemistry degree is biology teacher. Don't do Physics, it's a waste of your time.

12 hours ago, JohnnyCowboy1098 said:

some interesting and understandable higher level concepts and things to learn about

Start learning Software Engineering.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Or you could just have some fun.  You're in eighth grade.  Live.  Have fun.  Learn who you are.  I was the same way back then and now I wish every day I'd just lightened up.

At some point in your life, you're going to ask yourself, "Was it all worth it?"  And not just when you're 80 years old, either.  It comes way before then.  Make sure you can answer yes.

Yeah just liveHave funm

explore hobbies interests, dating etc your 13 the best way to learn is just do stuff your interested in.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Whoah whoah, hold up there buckaroo

5 hours ago, Mug said:

Also, Biology is fucking useless. It's basically colouring in. The only job from a biology degree that isn't better with a chemistry degree is biology teacher.

My forensics degree I'm aiming for in the biology strain has a starting salary of 5 figures. Amazing? No, but certainly not useless! Biology is great.

If you can memorize well, biology is an interesting topic to brush up on every now and then.

Shipping sucks

4 hours ago, GSTARR said:

Whoah whoah, hold up there buckaroo

My forensics degree I'm aiming for in the biology strain has a starting salary of 5 figures. Amazing? No, but certainly not useless! Biology is great.

If you can memorize well, biology is an interesting topic to brush up on every now and then.

The issue with forensics (at least in the UK) is that there are probably less than 100 jobs actually in the field in the country to go around. Most people doing forensic science accept that they're not going to be employed in forensics.

4 hours ago, Mug said:

The issue with forensics (at least in the UK) is that there are probably less than 100 jobs actually in the field in the country to go around. Most people doing forensic science accept that they're not going to be employed in forensics.

Well that's something they need to account for?

I live in America at the moment, and my back up plan is to move to another country where perhaps a lack of forensics is apparent, or I just happen to land a job there instead of here. It sounds idealistic, however searching for a job in say, the UK vs searching for a job in the whole world raises the chances quite a bit. Even alaska's gotta have their own teams

Shipping sucks