computer goes to sleep and then wakes up 20 minutes later to go to sleep again.

This only happens once but it happens every time I tell my computer to go to sleep. What is the issue here? I run Windows 7 Ultimate.

8 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

This only happens once but it happens every time I tell my computer to go to sleep. What is the issue here? I run Windows 7 Ultimate.

I had the same problem when I got my first laptop a couple years ago. This might be worth reading through. Hope it helps you out mate

Spoiler

If you want to get straight to the fix rather than learning what's causing it, the solution is in the middle of the webpage :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

Check out this topic.

4 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

In most cases it is either:

1. Wake on Magic packet / LAN settings is/are enabled. So open Device Manager, go to your network card, go through the tabs, and make sure your network card can't wake up your system. You may need to also check the BIOS/UEFI for "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Magic packet" option as well.
  2. A  USB device wakes up the system (printer, mouse, sound card). Open Device Manager, and check your USB device there.
  3. Software

How to know?

• When your computer wake up from sleep the next time, open the command prompt, and type in (and hit Enter to execute): powercfg /lastwake this command will tell you what was the last device or software that woke up the computer, and you can disable it from doing so.
  • You can also generate a test report by opening the Command Prompt as true Admin, type and hit Enter to execute: cd C:\ , then type and execute: powercfg /energy.
    The first command will set the path of the command prompt to C:\, and the second command will generate a sleep report where you are located in the command prompt (in our case, C:\). The report is an HTML page, just find it in C:\, and open it with your web browser, and you'll see what is wrong.

1 hour ago, PCn00b3000 said:

I had the same problem when I got my first laptop a couple years ago. This might be worth reading through. Hope it helps you out mate

Reveal hidden contents

If you want to get straight to the fix rather than learning what's causing it, the solution is in the middle of the webpage :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Check out this topic.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

In most cases it is either:

1. Wake on Magic packet / LAN settings is/are enabled. So open Device Manager, go to your network card, go through the tabs, and make sure your network card can't wake up your system. You may need to also check the BIOS/UEFI for "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Magic packet" option as well.
  2. A  USB device wakes up the system (printer, mouse, sound card). Open Device Manager, and check your USB device there.
  3. Software

How to know?

• When your computer wake up from sleep the next time, open the command prompt, and type in (and hit Enter to execute): powercfg /lastwake this command will tell you what was the last device or software that woke up the computer, and you can disable it from doing so.
  • You can also generate a test report by opening the Command Prompt as true Admin, type and hit Enter to execute: cd C:\ , then type and execute: powercfg /energy.
    The first command will set the path of the command prompt to C:\, and the second command will generate a sleep report where you are located in the command prompt (in our case, C:\). The report is an HTML page, just find it in C:\, and open it with your web browser, and you'll see what is wrong.

figured it out. It was the LAN. Thanks.