How obsolete will intel's 4-series become?

Go to solution Solved by bossman1,

it wont become obsolete, its not far behind a 6 or 7 gen, maybe 5% behind.

Okay, I hope this makes sense. I have an i5 4690k in my PC that I build in early 2015. At the time, I didn't know much about PCs but I was told that it was a popular and all-around great CPU.

Fast forward to now, I'm building my second rig. I want to get a Skylake CPU with a DDR4-compatible motherboard so it's upgradable.

Would it be a dumb idea to just go with DDR3 RAM and an i5 4790k? Are those even considered modern anymore?

Thanks in advance. :)

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

Hey an i5 haswell is still very decent. I have it. CPU usage never jumps to 60-70% on most AAA games

If you're building a new PC, I'd definitely go with the newer CPU, not a 4000 series one. DDR4 is going to be standard on any 6000 or 7000 series CPU.

Were you asking if you should upgrade your 4690K to a 4790K instead?

Either way, with Ryzen about to drop in the next month or so, maybe wait and see what reviews say about it before building a new PC?

2 minutes ago, ShepBook said:

If you're building a new PC, I'd definitely go with the newer CPU, not a 4000 series one. DDR4 is going to be standard on any 6000 or 7000 series CPU.

Were you asking if you should upgrade your 4690K to a 4790K instead?

Either way, with Ryzen about to drop in the next month or so, maybe wait and see what reviews say about it before building a new PC?

Yeah I was wondering if I should put a 6500 in my new PC, or move the 4690k to the new PC and get a 4790k for my old PC. (My old PC has a Z97 mobo)

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

3 minutes ago, mrjordann said:

Yeah I was wondering if I should put a 6500 in my new PC, or move the 4690k to the new PC and get a 4790k for my old PC. (My old PC has a Z97 mobo)

Im confused by this train of thought. Why put the better CPU in the second pc and not the new one? Either way you would need a new motherboard and ram since your second rig would be using it. If you buying a new motherboard and ram go with KabyLake

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I don't believe a 6500 is better than a 4690k. A 6600k would be better, but a 6500 probably wouldn't.

The 4790K is a really good CPU. Main thing you'll see with going to the newer CPUs is a bit better power efficiency over the 4790K.

If you like the Z97 platform, wouldn't you want to put the faster 4790K in your new build?

If you want to do a completely new build, you could probably get a new 7700K for about the same as you'd pay for the 4790K. I'd suspect they are pretty similar in performance, except for the DDR4 and thinking toward future upgrades.

I would advise against purchasing Haswell, unless you get it for cheap, but it's still perfectly capable, no reason to replace it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

A 4690K has about four more years in it until you'll want to upgrade.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you've already the motherboard, go with the Haswell i7. If you're building a new system to take over, then X99 or Ryzen. I see no reason to move from a consumer platform to another as it's been stuck on 4C, 8T for too long. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

There is probably no reason to build an entirely new rig if it's for gaming. An overclocked 4690k is still a really powerful gaming cpu. Unless you're targeting 100+ fps in AAA games you're not going to see a lot of benefit in jumping from 4690k to say 7700k. If you are trying to push 100+ fps in AAA games and have the gpu power to accomplish it you should see some modest gains in framerate from going to a 7700k. But if you're targeting 60 fps or even 80 fps replacing that cpu would be nuts.

I'd save your money and grab either the 1080 Ti if it's released this summer, or perhaps the Volta 80 series card if that's what's released around Computex. I wouldn't bother upgrading to even a 1080 from a 980 Ti considering many of them can be overclocked to reasonably close to 1080 level.