Fake CPU?

Omie

I ordered my 7700k through Amazon and selected one-day prime shipping. I made sure to check it was being sold by Amazon and not a third-party seller.

Once I received the tracking info, the carrier turned out to be Dynamex and it was delivered to me successfully.

On the box label, however, it says that it was from Amazon Fulfilment Services and the box didn't even have the blue prime tape on it. I looked up what Fulfilment Service is and it is basically where third-party sellers store their items and it is shipped by Amazon.

The box of the CPU looks new but the writing on the heatspreader* looks kind of faded compared to my other one. I'm debating on returning this and inquiring why it wasn't directly from Amazon itself.

does the CPU work??? if no, then return it, if yes, then just get a non stock cooler, as stock coolers aren't the best anyways.

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

does the CPU work??? if no, then return it, if yes, then just get a non stock cooler, as stock coolers aren't the best anyways.

Well I haven't opened it yet. Because if I do I'll void the return policy.

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

I ordered my 7700k through Amazon and selected one-day prime shipping. I made sure to check it was being sold by Amazon and not a third-party seller.

Once I received the tracking info, the carrier turned out to be Dynamex and it was delivered to me successfully.

On the box label, however, it says that it was from Amazon Fulfilment Services and the box didn't even have the blue prime sticker on it. I looked up what Fulfilment Service is and it is basically where third-party sellers store their items and it is shipped by Amazon.

The box of the CPU looks new but the writing on the heatsink looks kind of faded compared to my other one. I'm debating on returning this and inquiring why it wasn't directly from Amazon itself.

It's fine.  I'm sure you meant Heat Spreader and not Heat Sink.  The labeling on the heat spreaders vary in darkness from CPU to CPU.

Pic?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

On the box label, however, it says that it was from Amazon Fulfilment Services and the box didn't even have the blue prime sticker on it. I looked up what Fulfilment Service is and it is basically where third-party sellers store their items and it is shipped by Amazon.

The box of the CPU looks new but the writing on the heatsink looks kind of faded compared to my other one. I'm debating on returning this and inquiring why it wasn't directly from Amazon itself.

I'd just return it and buy from this link.

1 minute ago, CFstorm said:

I'd just return it and buy from this link.

That's exactly where I bought it from.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

It's fine.  I'm sure you meant Heat Spreader and not Heat Sink.  The labeling on the heat spreaders vary in darkness from CPU to CPU.

That will explain my confusion

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Send a picture of the CPU itself

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah that part doesn't bug me so much. It's the fact that it's probably from a third party seller and not Amazon themselves that's bothering me. I mean it should have that notable Amazon prime blue tape on it at least. This one is just taped using regular tape. And the box didn't have any packaging inside, just the CPU itself.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Yeah that part doesn't bug me so much. It's the fact that it's probably from a third party seller and not Amazon themselves that's bothering me. I mean it should have that notable Amazon prime blue tape on it at least. This one is just taped using regular tape. And the box didn't have any packaging inside, just the CPU itself.

I honestly think you're making something out of nothing.  You can install it and if it doesn't work, return it.  Blue tape shouldn't stop an epic build.  :D

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Can you give us the batch number, this will help us find out whether it is real or fake....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Send a picture of the CPU itself

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

1 minute ago, Omie said:

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

Yep, That's a Genuine Intel CPU. You can tell by the box, by the S-Spec and by the Batch number.....

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I honestly think you're making something out of nothing.  You can install it and if it doesn't work, return it.  Blue tape shouldn't stop an epic build.  :D

Yeah but it's just the fact that I paid for it to come from Amazon and instead it comes from some unknown third party seller is what bugs me.

The seal also looks like it has been tampered with: 

IMG_4181.JPG

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Yeah but it's just the fact that I paid for it to come from Amazon and instead it comes from some unknown third party seller is what bugs me.

The seal also looks like it has been tampered with: 

IMG_4181.JPG

The seal isn't broken... It is just scratched up. There is nothing to worry about...

The batch number is fine.  I just got this PM from a member on another forum earlier today.  Number look similar?  Guess where he ordered it from?

Enjoy the CPU and stop working yourself up.  :D

Capture.JPG

14 minutes ago, Omie said:

Well I haven't opened it yet. Because if I do I'll void the return policy.

If its not the product you ordered amazon will have to return it even if it doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The seal isn't broken... It is just scratched up. There is nothing to worry about...

Alright I guess I'll stop worrying then.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The batch number is fine.  I just got this PM from a member on another forum earlier today.  Number look similar?  Guess where he ordered it from?

Enjoy the CPU and stop working yourself up.  :D

Capture.JPG

Not sure if you're joking but that's actually me lol.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You can tell that it is genuine just by reading it xD

L639F979

It was made in Malaysia, in 39th week of 2016...

Idk what F means and it is Batch #979

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

Alright I guess I'll stop worrying then.

Not sure if you're joking but that's actually me lol.

Holy shit.  I was too busy snipping below the name that I didn't even pay attention.  Do you like how I kept your username out of it?  Haha

Seriously man, chill out.  If you have all of your parts, focus on the build and have fun.  If you don't have all the parts, get busy on something else before your drive yourself crazy.  O.o

Either way you are covered by Amazon.  That could be a golden 5.3 chip in your hand.  You never know until you give it a spin!

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can tell that it is genuine just by reading it xD

L639F979

It was made in Malaysia, in 39th week of 2016...

Idk what F means and it is Batch #979

F means FAST.  :D

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Holy shit.  I was too busy snipping below the name that I didn't even pay attention.  Do you like how I kept your username out of it?  Haha

Seriously man, chill out.  If you have all of your parts, focus on the build and have fun.  If you don't have all the parts, get busy on something else before your drive yourself crazy.  O.o

Either way you are covered by Amazon.  That could be a golden 5.3 chip in your hand.  You never know until you give it a spin!

Yeah, I honestly think I have some sort of mental problem when it comes to things like this lol. Like it's making me depressed for no reason. 

I'm just waiting on my case today and I then I'll finally build my PC.

I've never opened an Intel CPU before, but the factory seal just like a piece of tape right? Could you theoretically open the lift the tape carefully, open the box, and still make the seal look completely new?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

I've never opened an Intel CPU before, but the factory seal just like a piece of tape right? Could you theoretically open the lift the tape carefully, open the box, and still make the seal look completely new?

No, when it is removed, it doesn't stick to the box any more.... ( I can confirm that)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No, when it is removed, it doesn't stick to the box any more.... ( I can confirm that)

Oh really, that's actually quite interesting. Well good to know it's not been tampered with then. Now when my case arrives it's time to build :)