FHD 144hz G-Sync vs QHD 144hz (TN)

Froody129

I'm looking at buying a new monitor that will last me a very good number of years.

I have a GTX 1060 which I'll keep for a while

I can afford an Asus MG278Q which is 1440p 27" 144hz TN. For just under that price there is an Acer Predator 1080p 144hz G-sync. For half the price of both these monitors there are also many 144hz 1080p panels.

I had the opportunity to try a cheapish LG 144hz 1080p next to an Asus ROG PG278Q (TN). The Asus had MUCH better colours and viewing angles and as I understand it most cheap 1080p 144hz monitors use the same rubbish panel as the LG

I know my 1060 isn't perfect for 1440p but then I know the monitor will last me forever through many upgrades. 

The MG278Q has Freesync so I can always make my next card AMD 

So im basically asking as the title says. 1080p 144hz G-sync vs 1440p 144hz (both TN) 

Is G-sync worth the lower resolution? 

I play CSGO quite a lot. Also RTS and graphics heavy single player games. Basically all types and genres of games

I don't mind dropping settings and AA for better FPS

That's an F in the profile pic

If you can afford it I would suggest 240Hz 1080p (the new monitors that are out or soon should be).

If not... either way is fine, prepare to drop settings on QHD to HIGH in most games if you want to maintain 144Hz. G-Sync is not worth the extra price as long as you can stay above 120FPS as the tearing is not a big issue there but otherwise it makes difference.

Your card isnt for 144hz and gsnc is awesome. Go with the first choice. And unlike WereCat said, Gsync makes always a difference.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you can afford it I would suggest 240Hz 1080p (the new monitors that are out or soon should be).

If not... either way is fine, prepare to drop settings on QHD to HIGH in most games if you want to maintain 144Hz. G-Sync is not worth the extra price as long as you can stay above 120FPS as the tearing is not a big issue there but otherwise it makes difference.

I'm in South Africa so new stuff is always expensive and I'd never push even close to 240hz with my CPU or GPU except maybe CS. 

Anyone who plays 1440p on a 980/1060/ AMD equivalent would be appreciated for their input

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm in South Africa so new stuff is always expensive and I'd never push even close to 240hz with my CPU or GPU except maybe CS. 

Anyone who plays 1440p on a 980/1060/ AMD equivalent would be appreciated for their input

I play on 1440p with 1060 and it runs very well. BF1 about 80-100FPS (depends on map) on HIGH preset, 250FPS in CS:GO on ULTRA, 160FPS in Rocket League on ULTRA, 120FPS in Overwatch on High, 60-80FPS in Witcher 3 on mix of ULTRA/HIGH/MEDIUM. 60-80FPS in Rise of the Tomb Raider on HIGH, ...

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Haha I feel you I am also from SA and also struggling with this choice rather than TN I want IPS... I want IPS, 100z+, 1440p.

7 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Your card isnt for 144hz and gsnc is awesome. Go with the first choice. And unlike WereCat said, Gsync makes always a difference.

I have G-Sync monitor and I havent said it doesent make difference.

I said that above 120FPS it makes little difference vs not having it enabled. I can see the difference it is just not something thats worth it for the price/benefit if you can push those FPS. Bellow 120FPS it makes quite a bit of difference.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have G-Sync monitor and I havent said it doesent make difference.

I said that above 120FPS it makes little difference vs not having it enabled. I can see the difference it is just not something thats worth it for the price/benefit if you can push those FPS. Bellow 120FPS it makes quite a bit of difference.

Ya, i missread you. I read below 120FPS. My bad.

But since i always play on ultra around 70-100 FPS i can say, i never wanna miss Gsync again.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Ya, i missread you. I read below 120FPS. My bad.

But since i always play on ultra around 70-100 FPS i can say, i never wanna miss Gsync again.

The thing is that I will rather play on higher FPS than on higher quality settings if I can do that. G-Sync is more a luxury thing, once you get it you never want to be without it but if you dont have it you arent really missing much. Higher refresh rate makes a lot more difference.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The thing is that I will rather play on higher FPS than on higher quality settings if I can do that. G-Sync is more a luxury thing, once you get it you never want to be without it but if you dont have it you arent really missing much. Higher refresh rate makes a lot more difference.

Maybe, 100 FPS is high enough for an old bastard like me :P

8 minutes ago, RubenSA said:

Haha I feel you I am also from SA and also struggling with this choice rather than TN I want IPS... I want IPS, 100z+, 1440p.

The Asus TN panels really are incredible. Viewing angles, colours, everything is amazing

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

The Asus TN panels really are incredible. Viewing angles, colours, everything is amazing

And to be honest the 144Hz IPS are not really IPS... it is AHVA or AH-IPS which is more like VA panel, compared to my IPS EIZO I can see the difference in viewing angles and colors even after calibrating.

Yes, the ASUS TN are good, almost as good as those AHVA.