Connecting 2 Lans via Wifi

Twistedgamerz

I have been trying to connect my house and my dads house together via wifi, houses are about 200ft apart from each other. We both have our own internet connection, reason for needing this is to share my plex server with him, in the future will connect with a fiber line. Is there a way this could be done and is so what would i need to do.

You can use a point to point wireless link if you have line of sight to your dads house..

Create a layer2 transparent bridge with ubiquiti point to point equipment

https://www.ubnt.com/products/

Take a look at their airmax fixed outdoor wireless range, I would personally suggest NanoBridge for this purpose.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

what OS is your plex server running on? you can google a tutorial for your OS and AP mode, or ad hoc mode if your wireless chip doesn't have AP mode.

for a 60m LOS distance you might both need to get a directional antenna

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Falconevo said:

You can use a point to point wireless link if you have line of sight to your dads house..

Create a layer2 transparent bridge with ubiquiti point to point equipment

https://www.ubnt.com/products/

Take a look at their airmax fixed outdoor wireless range, I would personally suggest NanoBridge for this purpose.

Was planning on getting something like that but didn't decide of what and would this still allow me to have DHCP setup on both sides or would I only be able to have it on a single side?

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

what OS is your plex server running on? you can google a tutorial for your OS and AP mode, or ad hoc mode if your wireless chip doesn't have AP mode.

for a 60m LOS distance you might both need to get a directional antenna

Currently it is running on Windows 10

The devices are cable of having a static route table to allow for different subnets to communicate,

Another option you could potentially 'Dual-Wan' it up if you had managed switches on either side and provide both houses the bandwidth of both modems.  I can elaborate but it would be a large learning curve for you if you aren't familiar with managed switching etc.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 13/01/2017 at 10:19 AM, Falconevo said:

The devices are cable of having a static route table to allow for different subnets to communicate,

Another option you could potentially 'Dual-Wan' it up if you had managed switches on either side and provide both houses the bandwidth of both modems.  I can elaborate but it would be a large learning curve for you if you aren't familiar with managed switching etc.

Ok, I understand a bit of what needs to be done for static route, on my end I have an Asus AC66u and an 8 port gigabit unmanaged switch on my dads end he's got a Netgear wnr2000 eventually his will change. Now if I understand correctly on my router I would put his router IP as a gateway and an IP from my router that connects him as host?