Should Linus Tech Tips make a video about customer service in the tech industry  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Linus Tech Tips make a video about customer service in the tech industry

• Yes they should and its a topic they should explore
    • No they shouldn't customer service is BS
    • No because its Canada

First I am trying to order a  Alienware 17 R4 to Canada since November 2016 with these specs. The parts that I am having a conflict with are in bold.

CPU

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (updated from 6th Generation)

OS

Windows 10 Home 64bit English (was going to upgrade but since this will be my portable desktop for work and home i though against it.)

Display

17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display with Tobii IR Eye-tracking

GPU

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
RAM

32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)

Wifi

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Battery

Lithium Ion (99 Wh) Battery

Warranty 

4 Years Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

+

4 Years Accidental Damage Service

I contacted Dell Canada and I was redirected to a sales rep in INDIA. Now I kept saying I do not want a TN pannel but I want the GTX 1080. They say "let me see what i can do" takes 30 minutes then come back and offer me

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-17-laptop/pd?oc=na174_f_h7e&model_id=alienware-17-laptop#overrides=na174_f_h7e:19~N1535;29~NBD4;33~AD4;8~1TSSD2T

First lets hold this issue for a few min lets talk about customer service. When you contact a sales rep in Canada you expect them to be IN CANADA not India thus I contacted Dell US because I kept getting tired of being redirected to Dell India. When i contacted Dell US they said I had to contact Dell Canada because its a different region. OK on this argument, IF its a different region I wish to be connected with a agent IN Canada, not someone in INDIA who makes me wait 30 min to show me something I already know existed. I am contacting dell because I wish to have a dell engineer help me make this very custom order BUT someone in INDIA can't do this custom order because they are 1/2 way around the world.

On top of that Dell Canada states this 

Chat live with a Dell Expert
Mon–Fri 8 a.m.–11 p.m. EST 
Sat–Sun 11 a.m.–8 p.m. EST

Why do you have work hours if you are going to redirect me to India. Dell is going trying to beat Apple in customer service, Apple doesn't redirect me to India when I am calling Apple Canada.

I do apologize but I am getting really frustrated with this now back to the laptop. 

Now I got sooo pissed I contacted Dell US (they do not have dedicated work hours and there customer service is 10X better.) They do custom orders and they made sense when they stated that they can't do my custom order because 7820HK is't available for purchase  T_T (fun fact I was willing to settle for 6820HK JUST DON'T SEND ME BACK TO DELL CANADA.)

SO why all this. Linus Tech Tips this is to you I wish that you would make a video where you state that YOU being Canadian, do not like it when other companies (name them such as DELL sales) treat you differently than the states. Where YOU (being Canadian) get redirected to another country where they waste your time and can't help you.

IF they don't stop treating Canadian customers like shit you will state at the end of there (review products) YOU will not recommend it to your viewers because of how they treat Canadian customers and you are Canadian. You got viewers thus you could push for this.

7 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

Now I got sooo pissed I contacted Dell US (they do not have dedicated work hours and there customer service is 10X better.) They do custom orders and they made sense when they stated that they can't do my custom order because 7820HK is't available for purchase  T_T (fun fact I was willing to settle for 6820HK JUST DON'T SEND ME BACK TO DELL CANADA.)

They never offered the 1080 GPU + 4k panel in the first place. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/swapped-ugly-qhd-to-an-awesome-uhd-display-alienware-r4-tutorial.800153/

Here is a guide to fix that bullshit.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

we had a telco that tried to outsource the call centre to india. every call i made would get transferred to the auckland office because what the indian workers were allowed to do was too restricted; i think they could only handle calls from derpy old people. they gave up and closed the indian office. Some US companies have had the same experience but i think a company like Dell doesn't give a shit about customer experience unless you are a business customer

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 minutes ago, Eason85 said:

I doubt LTT would do this because they would have to shit on Razer.

why would they shit on razer razer's support is great moderately fast nice and helpful even to canadians and they do orders in cad as well

apple just redirect you to Ireland instead at least here in the UK they do most companies in the UK had call centers in India as they were a cheap workforce that spoke fairly decent English but slowly over the last 10 years they have brought back all the call centers to the UK to manchester and Coventry mainly my previous encounters with DELL ive been redirected to DELL USA until i got business cover now i have a dell engineers mobile number :P

I lurk a lot

27 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

we had a telco that tried to outsource the call centre to india. every call i made would get transferred to the auckland office because what the indian workers were allowed to do was too restricted; i think they could only handle calls from derpy old people. they gave up and closed the indian office. Some US companies have had the same experience but i think a company like Dell doesn't give a shit about customer experience unless you are a business customer

We're having iiNet go down the shitter, and this is what I hope doesn't happen. They have 3 call centers, one in NZ, one in South Africa and one in Sydney. You get a different call center depending on when you call, and they sorted my issue out in one call and then the guy did further email correspondence. New Zealander bloke (the accent and last name gives that shit away instantly).  

idk

15 minutes ago, peej said:

apple just redirect you to Ireland instead at least here in the UK they do most companies in the UK had call centers in India as they were a cheap workforce that spoke fairly decent English but slowly over the last 10 years they have brought back all the call centers to the UK to manchester and Coventry mainly my previous encounters with DELL ive been redirected to DELL USA until i got business cover now i have a dell engineers mobile number :P

Wait mind sharing lol OR asking about this issue. help me get someone in Canada T_T i hate DELL India re branded Canada

44 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/swapped-ugly-qhd-to-an-awesome-uhd-display-alienware-r4-tutorial.800153/

thanks man as always on top of Alienware Dells fixes

30 minutes ago, Eason85 said:

I doubt LTT would do this because they would have to shit on Razer.

Linus and Linus Tech Tips pride them selves on there honesty, thus there opinion of Razer is based on them owning a Razer. Razer probably has a customer service to keep them happy. Example they probably have the serial number to all the laptops Linus bought so they can redirect the calls regarding these laptops to a Razer Premium customer service. Linus Tech Tips did call our a few products out. 

For them to do a video on customer service or sales rep in the tech industry they would have had to experienced it.

I do think this will be beneficial to Linus Tech Tips because it will make them stand out from other reviewers. They would be addressing a issue many buyers face. Dell Canada is a easy hit because you will get hit right when you are purchasing the product. Razer is smarter, they wait till you bought it and have had it for a few months before it shows trouble. 

10 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

Wait mind sharing lol OR asking about this issue. help me get someone in Canada T_T i hate DELL India re branded Canada

Linus and Linus Tech Tips pride them selves on there honesty, thus there opinion of Razer is based on them owning a Razer. Razer probably has a customer service to keep them happy. Example they probably have the serial number to all the laptops Linus bought so they can redirect the calls regarding these laptops to a Razer Premium customer service. Linus Tech Tips did call our a few products out. 

For them to do a video on customer service or sales rep in the tech industry they would have had to experienced it.

I do think this will be beneficial to Linus Tech Tips because it will make them stand out from other reviewers. They would be addressing a issue many buyers face. Dell Canada is a easy hit because you will get hit right when you are purchasing the product. Razer is smarter, they wait till you bought it and have had it for a few months before it shows trouble. 

lmao it's not honest. Linus gets paid an exceptional amount of money to use that thing and show it off. Razer's customer service is really shitty from my one experience with a DA2013 that double-clicked. Razer are the scam artists of the PC industry, catering their products to small kids and idiots. Every series of Blade has had thermal issues. Their mice double click and are built to break. Their keyboards are made with the cheapest Cherry knockoffs possible. It's cheap, well marketed garbage. 

idk

18 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

dont think hed be able to help with what your after tbh he just fixes thing for me when they break 

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

lmao it's not honest. Linus gets paid an exceptional amount of money to use that thing and show it off. Razer's customer service is really shitty from my one experience with a DA2013 that double-clicked. Razer are the scam artists of the PC industry, catering their products to small kids and idiots. Every series of Blade has had thermal issues. Their mice double click and are built to break. Their keyboards are made with the cheapest Cherry knockoffs possible. It's cheap, well marketed garbage. 

ive had a razer naga for about 5+ years and its still going strong also had a razer dethstalker mechanical keyboard and it to is still going stong even afterhaving 4 pints of milk slipped on it (dont ask) 

I lurk a lot

4 minutes ago, peej said:

dont think hed be able to help with what your after tbh he just fixes thing for me when they break 

ive had a razer naga for about 5+ years and its still going strong also had a razer dethstalker mechanical keyboard and it to is still going stong even afterhaving 4 pints of milk slipped on it (dont ask) 

well, the old (ie before 2013 and chroma) Razer stuff is good quality from my experience. the new stuff is total garbage. I don't abuse my stuff and the DA2013 died within 9 months, it's literally the only broken peripheral besides my SteelSeries Kinzu with a bad custom firmware flash.

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

well, the old (ie before 2013 and chroma) Razer stuff is good quality from my experience. the new stuff is total garbage. I don't abuse my stuff and the DA2013 died within 9 months, it's literally the only broken peripheral besides my SteelSeries Kinzu with a bad custom firmware flash.

this is actually true lol. I got a DA 2013 and it was garbage. Then i switched to Logitech g502

I think the first sign of change came when Razer moved from Cherry MX to there Chinese mechanical keys.

1 minute ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

this is actually true lol. I got a DA 2013 and it was garbage. Then i switched to Logitech g502

Best of all, I took off the sticker on the bottom and put it on the packaging because it was causing the mouse to feel slow, and Razer denied my warranty request stating my photos did not show the serial number on the product.. 

idk

2 hours ago, Pendragon said:

any idea what the Dells stock UHD one is called?

AUO B173ZAN01 IPS UHD  is Acer one.

IT is really Stupid that they are not letting me do it. If they are idiots then i would have to 

1) check thermals 

2) repaste 

3) check thermals 

4) buy a new display

5) replace display 

You are right, its a good machine but there is sooooo much to fix on it. Its like a classic car but this one is a NEW car.

38 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

any idea what the Dells stock UHD one is called?

does it matter. The AUO B173 is the best 4k 17in screen right now. If your DIY replacing your screen why would you look for a subpar one. 

Laptop Main

21 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

does it matter. The AUO B173 is the best 4k 17in screen right now. If your DIY replacing your screen why would you look for a subpar one. 

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/predator-17x

"The Predator 17 X registered 288 nits of brightness and 112 percent of the sRGB spectrum, which is about the same as what we saw on Origin's Eon 17 SLX and MSI's GT72 Dragon Edition. The Alienware 17's display was even brighter, at 318 nits, and more colorful too, as it covered a range of 173.5 percent of the sRGB spectrum "

this is due to the review.

1 hour ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

snip

Please dear god learn to read. Is this an issue with people these days???

" While we can't speak to the quality of the Predator 17 X's optional 4K display, the 17.3-inch full-HD panel on our review unit is pretty solid. It's bright and relatively colorful, and because it features an anti-glare matte coating, you won't have to worry about unwanted reflections distracting you while you're gaming.

I miss things too, we're all human. But when the paragraph I linked is LITERALLY above the paragraph you linked you're getting shit for it. You not only contradicted yourself, but also proved my point. The AUO B173 is the best 17in 4k panel on the market. The AW your paragraph is refering to is the AW17 R3 and the R3 4k ALSO USES THE AUO B173. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Alienware-17-R3-LCD-Screen-Panel-2DK4K-4K-UHD-Tested-Warranty-Ships-Today-/371835464908?hash=item56931eeccc:g:Mp8AAOSwZQRYc70W

Laptop Main

2 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Please dear god learn to read. Is this an issue with people these days???

" While we can't speak to the quality of the Predator 17 X's optional 4K display, the 17.3-inch full-HD panel on our review unit is pretty solid. It's bright and relatively colorful, and because it features an anti-glare matte coating, you won't have to worry about unwanted reflections distracting you while you're gaming.

I miss things too, we're all human. But when the paragraph I linked is LITERALLY above the paragraph you linked you're getting shit for it. 

lol sorry i skipped that I do apologize.I am trying to find a apples to apples review on acer predator 4k vs Alienware UHD

4 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

acer predator 4k vs Alienware UHD

ITS THE SAME PANEL! Read my above post.

Laptop Main

6 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

ITS THE SAME PANEL! 

Wha wha lol sorry thank you for that Info. I do apologize I think i need some sleep.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's almost two years late, but LTT's latest video series (Secret Shopper) covers this exactly and Janice had the very similar experience as OP.

It is sad that Alienware/Dell's had zero improvement in their customer service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpYkpZX8qw