Another attempt to f*** up the Internet

James_AJ

Holy shit do companies not realize DRM doesn't work by now? Yes, for most part number of piracy decreases but so do the overall music download and you're just shooting yourself on your feet. *facewall* And everybody wants to fuck up their part of the internet... I mean EVERYBODY, private companies, ISPs (cough Verizon), MPAA, organizations with certain interests, fucking governments, nsa, gchq, etc... why why why oh why

it was a rhetorical question

I know :P

I agree, DRM should be used to a certain extent like making things easier to come buy(Steam), or use a service like Netflix, but restricting what I can and cannot do with the media I BUY is a huge no-no.

Well we just need to spread the word, ensure that any person with any kind of following is talking about this and then get together and fight it

At the moment a lot of politicians around the world are just starting to wake up to the fact that 1) no one in the public wants this (at least once they are well informed), 2) Its mainly just corporate interests driving these proposals and 3) there will be a shit storm coming if they stand by and do nothing. But yea, they are only just starting to realise this. So we need to beat this crap back again and again and again and again until there is no doubt in any ones minds that DRM is NOT OK, that draconian copyright laws are NOT OK and that infringing on freedom of expression and artistic expression is NOT OK. EVENTUALLY they will get the message and eventually politicians will know that this is a hot button issue and more likely it will be a voter issue and then something they care about. 

Just don't get tired of fighting this, don't get tired of telling people about this and make sure others don't get tired. Its a war of attrition and we just need to keep doing what we are doing. There is more of us and they need our money. They need us, not the other way around

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Fighting piracy is the same as the war on drugs. There is a product that people want and they will get it by any means necessary. Instead of fighting piracy they need to provide a better service. If they want to stop movie piracy then they should make a service that will deliver many of those same movies, but better quality and more features for a small fee. Look at netflix, it is the right idea, but poorly implemented. If you live in the US then netflix is great, but as soon as you leave the US you begin to be severely limited in the services and content that netflix provides and so piracy is the next best option. Look at programs. They expect college students to spend hundreds of dollars on programs that will be used just a few times a year.(powerpoint, excel and etc.) Imagine a service that cost $5-10 a month that lets students access these programs in the cloud and do their assignment. They would only access many of these programs a few times a year and Microsoft will get money for it. It would be more efficient because there are no downloads required and its a tiny fraction of what the actual program costs, plus its legal.

Just don't get tired of fighting this, don't get tired of telling people about this and make sure others don't get tired. Its a war of attrition and we just need to keep doing what we are doing. There is more of us and they need our money. They need us, not the other way around

well I was about to say, I am getting tired of fighting this

Fighting piracy is the same as the war on drugs. There is a product that people want and they will get it by any means necessary. Instead of fighting piracy they need to provide a better service. If they want to stop movie piracy then they should make a service that will deliver many of those same movies, but better quality and more features for a small fee. Look at netflix, it is the right idea, but poorly implemented. If you live in the US then netflix is great, but as soon as you leave the US you begin to be severely limited in the services and content that netflix provides and so piracy is the next best option. Look at programs. They expect college students to spend hundreds of dollars on programs that will be used just a few times a year.(powerpoint, excel and etc.) Imagine a service that cost $5-10 a month that lets students access these programs in the cloud and do their assignment. They would only access many of these programs a few times a year and Microsoft will get money for it. It would be more efficient because there are no downloads required and its a tiny fraction of what the actual program costs, plus its legal.

Exactly. Freemium or more sensible biz model would be the "solution" to piracy... Like how Twitter advertises evades the common advertising problems, like how Netherland sells govt drugs to make people to be at least be in control, etc. Just brute force squeezin' the Internet ain't gonna be the solution.

well I was about to say, I am getting tired of fighting this

lol I know man, it gets to me from time to time also. However, do not forget that they are spending millions and millions on lobbying, promotion, back-handers and all kind of other stuff. Never mind the staff they allocate to this.

What do we do? Chat about it from time to time, post links, sign petitions and send an email or two to politicians.... maybe the odd time go out and protest, maybe. Which is easier to keep up? Which is cheaper?  ;) ;)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly