Help me decide on a 3440x1440 monitor

DemiSLayer

HI I just finished building my gaming rig.  gtx1080 sli  6900k 32gb ram etc

I am looking at the asus ROG PG348Q 34 inch curved widescreen at 3440x1440.  it seams to be able to overclock to 100hz and has a 4ms input.

is there anything capable of 120hz at that res

would it be better to look at a 144hz lower resolution or is 100hz at 3440 going to be great.  I'm currently using a 1080p TV at 60hz.

Thanks in advance.

It will handle greatly

gtav_2560_1440.png

rottr_2560_1440.png

crysis3_2560_1440.png

witcher3_2560_1440.png

9 minutes ago, DemiSLayer said:

HI I just finished building my gaming rig.  gtx1080 sli  6900k 32gb ram etc

I am looking at the asus ROG PG348Q 34 inch curved widescreen at 3440x1440.  it seams to be able to overclock to 100hz and has a 4ms input.

is there anything capable of 120hz at that res

would it be better to look at a 144hz lower resolution or is 100hz at 3440 going to be great.  I'm currently using a 1080p TV at 60hz.

Thanks in advance.

You're probably going to end up with a predeator X34, though I would have suggested a single titan XP man

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

Or a non G-sync display at 60hz for less than half the cost
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FWDzK8/aoc-monitor-u3477pqu

Although didn't someone show off a 120hz 4k display at CES?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Currently 100hz is the highest.  But before you jump on it, you should consider waiting for a 4k 144hz HDR recently announced at CES!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Ive been debating selling my 1080 sli for an xp.  too many sli issues going on.

not sure I want to wait a year. I can always sell the monitor on ebay later

I was mainly looking at the asus rog as it matches the motherboard I have the rampage v extreme   rog theme sort of

And why doesn't somebody tell Linus that the GTX 1070/1080 supports DP 1.4?  He keeps going on about how its only on the Quadro cards.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

oh I didn't know it supported dp 1.4 I was worried about having to upgrade video cards when the new monitors came out. 

has anyone gone to 3440x1440 100hz  after owning a 144hz monitor.   is it adequate for shooters and does the resolution make a big difference in image quality ?  

22 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

And why doesn't somebody tell Linus that the GTX 1070/1080 supports DP 1.4?  He keeps going on about how its only on the Quadro cards.

I had been wondering the same exact thing

Displays are a very tough choice, IMO.  I was seriously considering an ultra wide 100hz last summer.  I decided on the Acer XB271HU, which is 1440p IPS 165hz Gsync.  I decided that the very high price for the ultra wide is simply not worth it for a few reasons:

1) The extra resolution would require either Titan XP or SLI setup, which is a huge cost increase from a single 1070 or 1080.

2) 34" ultra wide is basically the same as a 40" 4k display with the top cut off.  Same horizontal size and pixel density, but shorter.  Since large gaming 4k displays are not available yet, but are coming soon(ish), the cost of ultrawide is not worth it.  I feel like it would be obsolete in two years or less.

3) 100hz is Ok but not enough to justify the very high price tag.  I expect 144hz or higher for that price.

4) still some issues with scaling on ultra wide.  

5) 1440p is still a very nice pixel density, no scaling issues, no aspect ratio issues, and these panels have matured very nicely.  I think the XB271HU is great quality and great value compared to ultra wide.

Those were my thoughts, I hope it helps.

PC Build

Desk Build

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any really large 1440p 144hz gsync displays.   I kinda like the idea of 144hz or more.   I am on 1080 sli so I could do the higher res at 100hz no problem

On 1/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, DemiSLayer said:

has anyone gone to 3440x1440 100hz  after owning a 144hz monitor.   is it adequate for shooters and does the resolution make a big difference in image quality ?  

Unless you play in tournaments or in very high rank competitive play, you are going to be pretty much unaffected by the difference in FPS when you are at 90hz+,
And it is pretty common that people playing at that level have their graphics turned down as well just to be extra sure max frames, which is much less enjoyable, You got a sick video card setup, I'm assuming you want graphics to be nice.

The Asus PG348Q and the Acer Predator X34 are virtually identical with marginal difference in specs, mostly just different in appearance. I've been tossing back and forth between the two for a few months, have now seen them both in person (and also seen a 144hz monitor as well), and oh man are those two are fantastic, you will absolutely love it and will not at all be upset about the 100hz cap. The only reason I have not jumped on the Asus PG348Q myself is I'm not quite ready to build my new rig yet, and I'm waiting to see what gets announced or becomes available soon.

Yea id like some good visuals as well.  I'm coming from a 60hz 65 inch tv  I'm going to setup a gaming desk and want the best monitor option

I have the x34 so of course I'll recommend it!

I personally belive the greatest and most noticeable change in smoothness is between 60 and 75hz. Then from 75 to 100 is less so.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb