Intel now offering hyperthreaded Pentium CPUs!

escape093
53 minutes ago, Rune said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

*sigh*

Yeah, I felt like kind of a dick as soon as I hit submit. I haven't personally done anything like that, but I could almost see the justification for doing so courtesy of the lack of an H210 chipset. Do any of the cheaper (sub-$60, let's say) H110 boards let you update via USB?

*edited my original post to find a more retailer-friendly way of doing things, even if I do kind of hate Microsoft for putting an H270 price of admission on the G4560.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, Citadelen said:

I don't really see what Intel is doing here from a business perspective, these compete with Intels's own lineup higher up in the form of i3s. All this will do is eat into their profit margins.

Intel would rather Intel eat into Intel's profit margins, than have AMD eat into them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

*sigh*

Yeah, I felt like kind of a dick as soon as I hit submit. I haven't personally done anything like that, but I could almost see the justification for doing so courtesy of the lack of an H210 chipset. Do any of the cheaper (sub-$60, let's say) H110 boards let you update via USB?

*edited my original post to find a more retailer-friendly way of doing things, even if I do kind of hate Microsoft for putting an H270 price of admission on the G4560.

Why would you have sounded like a dick?    

There's no H210 chipset?    Interesting.

Sorry to ask but do what due to the lack of a H210 chipset?

Why would you need an H270 motherboard to use a G4560?

Couldn't an H110 or H170 be updated to work with 7th gen Intel CPUs?

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Intel would rather Intel eat into Intel's profit margins, than have AMD eat into them.

This is 100% off topic and random but looking at your profile picture makes me want to pet that sarcastic bunny while he scowls at me.  ?

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why would you have sounded like a dick?    

There's no H210 chipset?    Interesting.

Sorry to ask but do what due to the lack of a H210 chipset?

Why would you need an H270 motherboard to use a G4560?

Couldn't an H110 or H170 be updated to work with 7th gen Intel CPUs?

1. Because I suggested buying something with the intent of using and returning it, which is a dick move.

2. Intel decided not to do an H210 because of how many H110 boards are in circulation. Because most H110 boards will require a BIOS update before a Kaby Lake processor can be used, it's something of a catch-22 for new Kaby Lake low-end buyers. You can buy an H110 board and a G4560 CPU, but without a Skylake CPU to run the board while the BIOS updates, the board won't recognize the G4560.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg problem, basically, and there aren't a ton of ways around it if you don't already have access to a Skylake CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

1. Because I suggested buying something with the intent of using and returning it, which is a dick move.

2. Intel decided not to do an H210 because of how many H110 boards are in circulation. Because most H110 boards will require a BIOS update before a Kaby Lake processor can be used, it's something of a catch-22 for new Kaby Lake low-end buyers. You can buy an H110 board and a G4560 CPU, but without a Skylake CPU to run the board while the BIOS updates, the board won't recognize the G4560.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg problem, basically, and there aren't a ton of ways around it if you don't already have access to a Skylake CPU.

Ah.  Perhaps but some retailers (Best Buy) are run by dicks so excuse me if at least in their case I wouldn't feel bad about doing that.  For stores with nice and knowledgable people yeah I wouldn't be mean like that.

Do H110 boards not allow you to update using a USB drive?

I know my Z170 board in my main desktop lets me do that.  Idk if I needed a CPU in it though since my 6700K has always been installed when I tried turning it on.

No idea if other chipsets let you do USB updating.  My only other board currently in use is a B85 but I can't remember if I ever tried to update the bios.  Or if there's even any updates let alone a reason to update.

The only reason I bothered on my main desktop with the Z170 was because I was hoping it would fix a blue-screen crash from enabling XMP on my Corsair RAM (2 bios updates and last I knew it STILL wasn't fixed...) and now I might update again if I got a 7th gen i7.  Though if I did get a 7700K for whatever reason I might just get a Z270 board.

There are boards that have a special port or feature on them that lets you update the bios without even starting up the computer isn't there?

I can defintely see why this is a problem.  It cuts into the budget friendliness of these new hyperthreaded Pentiums.