Home Surveillance (and other) Server

I have been tasked with the end to end implementation of a home security surveillance network. I have decided to go with an IP camera system because it bets fits the needs of the project of being reliable and providing high image quality at a relative low price point. I am semi-familiar with video surveillance, but this time I would like to change it up (to best fit the project of course) ;) 

That being said, I wanted to make sure I am on the right track with all the research I have done. I have come to the conclusion that

• I can set up a number of IP cameras over a closed and isolated network to a PoE switch
  • The camera's connect through the PoE switch to a custom made server that addresses the needs of the project
  • A server running a third party IP Surveillance Application acts a DVR and/or NAS for the feed. The features of the application dictates the path and legacy of the recorded feed
    • each IP camera encodes the footage to a specified codec mitigating the load on the server
  • The server is also attached to the outstanding home network to allow for remote access and backups of the footage and presumably the application itself. 

That's what I'm operating under. I have a substantial grace period until the system has to be operational and thus I would like to make it as perfect as possible. Any ideas, recommendations on hardware or software, or corrections are welcome. I have also watched the LTT video on their office server and have indeed researched the specific brand but felt that their products were not a good fit.

1 minute ago, therealTJ said:

I have been tasked with the end to end implementation of a home security surveillance network. I have decided to go with an IP camera system because it bets fits the needs of the project of being reliable and providing high image quality at a relative low price point. I am semi-familiar with video surveillance, but this time I would like to change it up (to best fit the project of course) ;) 

That being said, I wanted to make sure I am on the right track with all the research I have done. I have come to the conclusion that

• I can set up a number of IP cameras over a closed and isolated network to a PoE switch
  • The camera's connect through the PoE switch to a custom made server that addresses the needs of the project
  • A server running a third party IP Surveillance Application acts a DVR and/or NAS for the feed. The features of the application dictates the path and legacy of the recorded feed
    • each IP camera encodes the footage to a specified codec mitigating the load on the server
  • The server is also attached to the outstanding home network to allow for remote access and backups of the footage and presumably the application itself. 

That's what I'm operating under. I have a substantial grace period until the system has to be operational and thus I would like to make it as perfect as possible. Any ideas, recommendations on hardware or software, or corrections are welcome. I have also watched the LTT video on their office server and have indeed researched the specific brand but felt that their products were not a good fit.

All I can tell you is that stuff is bound to be hackable

And look into WD purple drives
https://www.wdc.com/products/business-internal-storage/wd-purple-nv.html

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

hardware:

- wd red/purple drives (both are for 24/7 ops) 

please for the love of god make sure it isn't hackable from the outside. get quality cameras with good security and a good app. 

idk

So I guess my follow up question is this: what is the difference of a custom created system running OEM Third Party Software and/or OS versus one that I could buy online from a Security Firm per say or even an Amazon or Newegg? If the network is isolated and only connected to the internet via one port, how else would I ensure the security of the system? 

Edit: I fully intend to make purchases from quality vendors and companies. I'm not overly concerned with the security of the network as the outstanding home network is substantially protected. 

Processing load can still be high, even with a light weight codec. Also one of the biggest CPU users is motion detection, cheap cameras can't do it so the server has to.

Everything else you said yea that's pretty much the basics of it. Size/Scale really is the biggest issue, you have to change the way you do things as you increase the camera count.

How many cameras?

Best software I know of is Milestone, Genetec I have also heard good things about but never used it. Milestone Essentails is free for 8 cameras, to support more than 8 you need to buy camera licenses.

The delegation of motion detection is something I have not considered, and something I must now consider-thank you.

As for camera's, 10 immediately with an option to implement 6 more in 18 months. 

I was immediately attracted to the Milestone line of solutions, and I think I may end up going that route.

7 minutes ago, therealTJ said:

So I guess my follow up question is this: what is the difference of a custom created system running OEM Third Party Software and/or OS versus one that I could buy online from a Security Firm per say or even an Amazon or Newegg? If the network is isolated and only connected to the internet via one port, how else would I ensure the security of the system? 

Edit: I fully intend to make purchases from quality vendors and companies. I'm not overly concerned with the security of the network as the outstanding home network is substantially protected. 

Biggest difference is one typically comes with support from the security firm you purchased it from. Also in a lot of countries corporate/business installations must be done by a certified security installer, legal/compliance regulations.

Hardware appliances also have a guaranteed number of cameras they can support at a specified bit rate, piece of mind.

https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/hardware-and-add-ons/network-video-recorders/husky-m30/

Most of the big camera installs are fairly custom, HP/Dell/Lenovo servers + Software.

Far as security goes if we ignore the device security itself make sure you use managed switches and administratively down any unused ports on the switch so if someone plugs in there will be no network access. Only connect the security network to the security server, do not have any connection to other networks.

4 minutes ago, therealTJ said:

The delegation of motion detection is something I have not considered, and something I must now consider-thank you.

As for camera's, 10 immediately with an option to implement 6 more in 18 months. 

I was immediately attracted to the Milestone line of solutions, and I think I may end up going that route.

Ok 16 cameras isn't a lot, that Milestone Husky M30 I linked for example supports 32 and uses an i5 with 8GB ram.

I will definitely take a look at that one then...seems to solve this even more efficiently! Thank you sir! 

17 minutes ago, therealTJ said:

I will definitely take a look at that one then...seems to solve this even more efficiently! Thank you sir! 

It is rather expensive for what it is, for home use I would self build as you'll save a ton of money. You can basically just copy exactly what the Husky M30 is hardware wise and buy the software, you have to buy extra camera licenses anyway for the M30.

You should also make sure that you have enough storage space to hold all the survelliance. If you haven't been told a retention time for the data, it would be good to figure it out.

Somewhere on milestone's website they have a list of supported cameras, make sure what you buy is supported. I bought my camera first and then started looking for software to support it... I have had no luck. Sadly it supports a bunch of the major protocols (onvif etc...) but for whatever reason it doesn't play nice.

It would be really cool if you put up some pictures or a video once you decide on the setup to go with.