Is now a good time to buy a new monitor?

Marius

Hey everyone! I wanted to start some discussion about whether right now is a good time to get a new monitor or not. With CES currently going on and a bunch of new monitors being announced, do you suspect that the price of current gen monitors will drop as the new monitors start coming out?

| NCASE M1 | ASUS ROG Strix Z270I | Intel Core i7-7770k | ASUS GTX 1070 ROG STRIX | SilverStone SFX600W | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX300 525GB |

I don't really think monitors prices fluctuate as much as regular components upon new releases. I'd say any time is great for a new monitor. Yes, new monitors are coming out soon, but they are all super high end, like ASUS's 4K 144hz G-SYNC and their 240hz monitor. I'd say get a new monitor if you feel like you want one soon. If not, then you can wait a little.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

5 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

I don't really think monitors prices fluctuate as much as regular components upon new releases. I'd say any time is great for a new monitor. Yes, new monitors are coming out soon, but they are all super high end, like ASUS's 4K 144hz G-SYNC and their 240hz monitor. I'd say get a new monitor if you feel like you want one soon. If not, then you can wait a little.

Good point. I guess the only way waiting would pay off is if you were looking to get a high-end monitor since you're right in that they have announced mainly high-end ones :)

| NCASE M1 | ASUS ROG Strix Z270I | Intel Core i7-7770k | ASUS GTX 1070 ROG STRIX | SilverStone SFX600W | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX300 525GB |

41 minutes ago, Marius said:

Hey everyone! I wanted to start some discussion about whether right now is a good time to get a new monitor or not. With CES currently going on and a bunch of new monitors being announced, do you suspect that the price of current gen monitors will drop as the new monitors start coming out?

No time is a good time to buy with pc components there will always be something new coming and for an example the pg348q the monitor I want but cant afford will become cheap once more brands release something similar or better the more tech matures the cheaper it becomes to a point so its best to buy what you want when you need it or you'll be waiting forever 

1 hour ago, Marius said:

As @Trav_X stated, monitor prices don't really fluctuate like computer hardware, since monitor technology isn't advancing nearly as fast as PC components are. Prices will continue to fall, of course, but definitely not as fast as other hardware. Your best bet is to research what you need in a monitor, decide what you really don't need, and narrow down a few models that are commonly available where you live, either online or in-stores. Then watch for price changes like a hawk on deal sites, or use PC Part Picker to help you out.

eBay is another option, so long as you trust the store name / seller profile, since a lot of retailers will have "secret" eBay accounts where they auction off demo models and floor display units for a lot less than brand new. I recently picked up an ASUS PB278Q for just over $200 CAD including shipping and taxes. Sure, the stand has a few scuffs, and the back of the monitor isn't in perfect condition, but you don't see those things that much anyway. The screen itself is in pristine condition, save for a single stuck grey pixel near where the Windows Minimize/Close buttons are, so I can't complain considering 27" 2560x1440 monitors still sell brand new for over $450 CAD.

b40y2PEGCnSuk6fJ_500.jpg

It sold for cheap because 1) the auction ended on Dec 25th at 11am, so I assume people were busy with holiday stuff, and 2) it was missing the 4 machine bolts that secure the stand to the back of the monitor, which are definitely not hard to come by if you've got a hardware store (aka my dad's garage) that sells standard 6-32 machine bolts. :P

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

As @Trav_X stated, monitor prices don't really fluctuate like computer hardware, since monitor technology isn't advancing nearly as fast as PC components are. Prices will continue to fall, of course, but definitely not as fast as other hardware. Your best bet is to research what you need in a monitor, decide what you really don't need, and narrow down a few models that are commonly available where you live, either online or in-stores. Then watch for price changes like a hawk on deal sites, or use PC Part Picker to help you out.

eBay is another option, so long as you trust the store name / seller profile, since a lot of retailers will have "secret" eBay accounts where they auction off demo models and floor display units for a lot less than brand new. I recently picked up an ASUS PB278Q for just over $200 CAD including shipping and taxes. Sure, the stand has a few scuffs, and the back of the monitor isn't in perfect condition, but you don't see those things that much anyway. The screen itself is in pristine condition, save for a single stuck grey pixel near where the Windows Minimize/Close buttons are, so I can't complain considering 27" 2560x1440 monitors still sell brand new for over $450 CAD.

b40y2PEGCnSuk6fJ_500.jpg

It sold for cheap because 1) the auction ended on Dec 25th at 11am, so I assume people were busy with holiday stuff, and 2) it was missing the 4 machine bolts that secure the stand to the back of the monitor, which are definitely not hard to come by if you've got a hardware store (aka my dad's garage) that sells standard 6-32 machine bolts. :P

Wow! That was a steal! I just purchased an MX27AQ but might return it if it doesn't overclock too well.