windows not obeying metric settings...

stuck stock heatsink

here's my metric settings: DZ6FnGB.png

here's route table:

sXmwMoF.png

metric of ethernet is 1 and wifi is 9999...

windows still using wifi as default over ethernet...

quick note: i have 2 separate modems with their own internet connections. ethernet is adsl, wifi is vdsl... i tried those things:

i set vdsl modem gateway to 192.168.2.1 thought maybe separating their gateway could help prioritizing. then i did set 192.168.2.1 gateway metric 9999 too... didnt solve my problem.

my wifi connection was 150mbps, i limited it to 72, thought maybe one nic has higher rated speed windows might use it as default... didnt solve either.

tried to set wifi as public and ethernet as private, didnt work... then tried to set ethernet as public and wifi as private, again... didnt work...

it wasnt metered, i set wifi as metered... still same... nothing changed.

tried setting priority here:

cCvrY6R.png

it's not even remembers the settings... bugged/not working on windows10, many people talks about that on the internet...

tried to set bindings on same "advanced settings" window... tried to bind them on ethernet, didnt work... it was even sound stupid but tried to bind them to wifi too :D just in case. again, everythings same...

when i restart my pc, my ethernet is default... everything's using it over wifi... but after some time, without any reason my pc switches to wifi over ethernet... no connection lose or anything like that... im connected to internet with both my nics all the time. no problems...

WHY??? is that happening?

if i can fix this it'll help me a lot. if i can't, i'll try setting pfsense but i really dont wanna run additional unnecessary program(virtual machine for pfsense) or route all my internet through a second pc...

why everything is bugged in this windows10? why isnt it obeying the metric setting?

Although the interface may ignore what you try to tell it to do, Powershell may actually work properly.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/give-ethernet-higher-priority-over-wifi-connection-in-windows-10/

I found the solution! In Windows 10 you cannot use the GUI just PowerShell.

The key is the interface metric number. The lowest number is the first in the order. My problem was: if I connected for VPN on wired Network then the adapter get the DNS from outside because may VPN adapter metric number was higher than Ethernet adapter...

Solution:

Run an elevated PowerSell (run as administrator)

Get-NetIPInterface

Then you will see your all interfaces with all information. Check the metric numbers and check the interface index.

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex (the number of selected interface) -InterfaceMetric (the number of metric)

This was my setting:

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex 6 -InterfaceMetric 60

You can thank Béla Vajda for that answer, if it works.

18 minutes ago, Jay_JWLH said:

Although the interface may ignore what you try to tell it to do, Powershell may actually work properly.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/give-ethernet-higher-priority-over-wifi-connection-in-windows-10/

You can thank Béla Vajda for that answer, if it works.

you didnt even read, do you? lol...

doesnt matter powershell or cmd, i did show my metrics...

TrDHDbb.png

same here. metric 1 for ethernet and 9999 for wifi, still my pc using wifi over ethernet...

it's using ethernet after restarting system, for a while... then deciding not to. and switches to wifi for no reason at all...

Because they are using the same IP Subnet and gateway value for connectivity it will throw any config you put in as Windows will not deal with this sensibly as its routing table is based on gateway entry (nor does any other OS) any reason why you are not using an alternate IP subnet or have the /24 split in to 2x /25 subnets to separate the gateways?  Here's what I would do.

Place the modem you want priority for traffic on the lower octet IP of a /25 e.g

Modem #1 - 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.128

Set the interface in Windows to; 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.128 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1

Put the other modem on a different /25

Modem #2 - 192.168.1.129 / 255.255.255.128

Set the interface to; 192.168.1.130 / 255.255.255.128 with a gateway of 192.168.1.129

Change your interface gateways accordingly, Windows should then behave and utilise the correct binding order for different gateways but will need a reboot to take effect.  You should never really have 2x network interfaces with the same subnet and gateway on the same device unless you want problems with broadcast traffic and no control over traffic direction.

Personally, I would virtualise a VM on the PC, install pfSense on it and route traffic via a VM to have full control over both connections from a single device.  I can give you advice in this area, if you are willing to listen as the last time I assisted you, you had a hard time taking advice.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

3 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Because they are using the same IP Subnet and gateway value for connectivity it will throw any config you put in as Windows will not deal with this sensibly as its routing table is based on gateway entry (nor does any other OS) any reason why you are not using an alternate IP subnet or have the /24 split in to 2x /25 subnets to separate the gateways?  Here's what I would do.

Place the modem you want priority for traffic on the lower octet IP of a /25 e.g

Modem #1 - 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.128

Set the interface in Windows to; 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.128 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1

Put the other modem on a different /25

Modem #2 - 192.168.1.129 / 255.255.255.128

Set the interface to; 192.168.1.130 / 255.255.255.128 with a gateway of 192.168.1.129

Change your interface gateways accordingly, Windows should then behave and utilise the correct binding order for different gateways but will need a reboot to take effect.  You should never really have 2x network interfaces with the same subnet and gateway on the same device unless you want problems with broadcast traffic and no control over traffic direction.

Personally, I would virtualise a VM on the PC, install pfSense on it and route traffic via a VM to have full control over both connections from a single device.  I can give you advice in this area, if you are willing to listen as the last time I assisted you, you had a hard time taking advice.

but as i said, i tried to set different default gateway for it. still i had this problem.

it was like this: TkuLAxL.png

you're saying to do it like this?

ViF9OHc.png

or did i missed anything?

should i change any setting in my modem interface? i think i do, since it wasnt connecting to internet :D

Jy9sQLn.png

about pfsense, as i mentioned before... i dont like running extra software if i dont have to... i need my cpu power/ram on gaming. plus it's just another thing that can fail at some time... while in a competitive online game i dont want virtual machine crash for example... and i only have 8gigs of ram :D enough for gaming but virtual machine also needs some, like 0,5gigs i guess?

i will try pfsense if i can't solve this with another way. but if i can set my default nic and windows obeys it, it's enough for me.

1 hour ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

but as i said, i tried to set different default gateway for it. still i had this problem.

it was like this:

you're saying to do it like this?

or did i missed anything?

should i change any setting in my modem interface? i think i do, since it wasnt connecting to internet :D

about pfsense, as i mentioned before... i dont like running extra software if i dont have to... i need my cpu power/ram on gaming. plus it's just another thing that can fail at some time... while in a competitive online game i dont want virtual machine crash for example... and i only have 8gigs of ram :D enough for gaming but virtual machine also needs some, like 0,5gigs i guess?

i will try pfsense if i can't solve this with another way. but if i can set my default nic and windows obeys it, it's enough for me.

Ideally you should be using the modems in bridge mode rather than using internal addressing.  The modem should be able to bridge the DHCP address provided by your ISP straight to your network interface.  This is how I would preferably have it configured.  DHCP relay agent sounds like a possible bridge mode configuration, can you access that page and show me the config available?

The VM would be perfectly fine with 512Mb ram, easily as the firewall state table would never exceed this kind of memory.  Believe me when I say that technology has moved on so much that it will not affect your gaming at all in any way shape or form.  The CPU usage will be crap zero and it will give you benefits beyond just gaming.

*Edit* to remove images from quote.

26 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Ideally you should be using the modems in bridge mode rather than using internal addressing.  The modem should be able to bridge the DHCP address provided by your ISP straight to your network interface.  This is how I would preferably have it configured.  DHCP relay agent sounds like a possible bridge mode configuration, can you access that page and show me the config available?

The VM would be perfectly fine with 512Mb ram, easily as the firewall state table would never exceed this kind of memory.  Believe me when I say that technology has moved on so much that it will not affect your gaming at all in any way shape or form.  The CPU usage will be crap zero and it will give you benefits beyond just gaming.

*Edit* to remove images from quote.

here's the relay agent page:

bLAfL9X.png

i guess you're talking about this?

tlx5euF.png

Yes, if you want to use something like pfSense, you will ideally need the devices in bridge mode to have the external IP bridged to the interface(s) on the pfSense virtual machine.

Is that a route you want to do down?  I can give you some assistance via here on DM or speak to you over a VOIP app?

7 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Yes, if you want to use something like pfSense, you will ideally need the devices in bridge mode to have the external IP bridged to the interface(s) on the pfSense virtual machine.

Is that a route you want to do down?  I can give you some assistance via here on DM or speak to you over a VOIP app?

since the last setting changes windows didnt switch to wifi over ethernet yet... seems like fixed(i hope) not sure cuz it was switching randomly, it might do it again maybe...

btw, i cant connect to internet if i set it as bridge mode...

F4yTH4B.png

i can't type my dsl username-pw to anywhere on bridge mode. so i can't connect to internet...

are you sure you can connect dsl as bridge?

nxzL8ko.png

it's like this now ViF9OHc.png

and ethernet has lower metric value... it was fine for a while, my ethernet was the default over wifi... but now windows using wifi over ethernet again... not obeying my rules... what can cause this? both connections are up, but higher metric wifi is prioritized over lower metric ethernet :/

2 hours ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

since the last setting changes windows didnt switch to wifi over ethernet yet... seems like fixed(i hope) not sure cuz it was switching randomly, it might do it again maybe...

btw, i cant connect to internet if i set it as bridge mode...

F4yTH4B.png

i can't type my dsl username-pw to anywhere on bridge mode. so i can't connect to internet...

are you sure you can connect dsl as bridge?

nxzL8ko.png

In bridge mode, you have to create a PPPoA/E connection via the network interface, this can be done in windows easily.  If you were going to virtualise and use pfSense it would be done in pfSense via a virtual switch instead.  

Just do it properly and manage it based on port via a routed gateway, honestly you will do it and never look back.

20 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

In bridge mode, you have to create a PPPoA/E connection via the network interface, this can be done in windows easily.  If you were going to virtualise and use pfSense it would be done in pfSense via a virtual switch instead.  

Just do it properly and manage it based on port via a routed gateway, honestly you will do it and never look back.

and then i couldnt connect my wifi with my phone since i cant set pppoe in my phone. :D

whats the difference between pppoe and bridge for me? is bridge mandatory to use pfsense? cant i use it with pppoe connection?

how can i set pfsense now though?

i have one mobo ethernet and one usb wifi(i bought usb ethernet since wifi is not stable, it'll arrive in couple of days... its in my city now but carrier cant deliver it cuz of snow...)

can i use virtualbox? is there a guide for it?

i downloaded "pfSense-CE-2.3.2-RELEASE-amd64.iso" this is the correct file i hope...

and installed virtualbox, but i dont know what to do next.

i wanna keep my modems as pppoe if thats possible btw. as i mentioned, i need to be able to use wifi with my phone.

and, i really wanna know that, why windows keeps switching to higher metric connection instead of lower one? when i restart my pc it always using lower metric one as it should, but after a while it just switches between them randomly.

9 minutes ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

and then i couldnt connect my wifi with my phone since i cant set pppoe in my phone. :D

whats the difference between pppoe and bridge for me? is bridge mandatory to use pfsense? cant i use it with pppoe connection?

how can i set pfsense now though?

i have one mobo ethernet and one usb wifi(i bought usb ethernet since wifi is not stable, it'll arrive in couple of days... its in my city now but carrier cant deliver it cuz of snow...)

can i use virtualbox? is there a guide for it?

i downloaded "pfSense-CE-2.3.2-RELEASE-amd64.iso" this is the correct file i hope...

and installed virtualbox, but i dont know what to do next.

i wanna keep my modems as pppoe if thats possible btw. as i mentioned, i need to be able to use wifi with my phone.

and, i really wanna know that, why windows keeps switching to higher metric connection instead of lower one? when i restart my pc it always using lower metric one as it should, but after a while it just switches between them randomly.

First things first, you need to install Hyper-V which comes with Windows 10;

Run this command from an administrative powershell to enable the Hyper-V role, a restart will be required after the role is installed;

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All

I will drop you a direct msg with some TeamSpeak details in, feel free to come on and talk to me about it in more detail as doing it on here is not efficient.