SSD Startup Drive - What's the Sweet Spot?

EvilPenguinSon

Hey guys, 

What do you guys consider to be the sweet spot for the size of an SSD as a Windows 10 startup drive, especially when the system is going to have multiple drives?

Thanks

Primary Machine: COREIN5ANITY

CPU: Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i v2

Board: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black DDR4 2133 16GB (2x8GB)

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

Case: Deepcool Kendomen Titanium

CPU-Z: http://valid.x86.fr/y38sg5

2 minutes ago, EvilPenguinSon said:

Hey guys, 

What do you guys consider to be the sweet spot for the size of an SSD as a Windows 10 startup drive, especially when the system is going to have multiple drives?

Thanks

240GB should serve you well

I would only use a min of 240gb because 120gb just isn't enough for more than just basic files and a few small games. Anything more isn't entirely necessary, but nice to say the least.

240 is great, 120 works but leaves less room for programs and stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, MadOrc said:

I would only use a min of 240gb because 120gb just isn't enough for more than just basic files and a few small games. Anything more isn't entirely necessary, but nice to say the least.

Thanks! There was a time where I had a 60 GB SSD with Windows 7 installed on it and it barely cut it. After getting Windows updates installed, the usage was showing in the red (roughly 10 percent remaining of the capacity) - prior to having anything installed. 

Primary Machine: COREIN5ANITY

CPU: Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i v2

Board: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black DDR4 2133 16GB (2x8GB)

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

Case: Deepcool Kendomen Titanium

CPU-Z: http://valid.x86.fr/y38sg5

9 minutes ago, MadOrc said:

idk I'm surviving without my games on my 120gb SSD. I would like to have them on the SSD, but I can't. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

It depends on what you need and what your growth expectations are. My C:\ drive is currently sitting at 41GB, but this is with a page file and hibernate file. You take both of those out, it drops to about 32GB. Windows itself is sitting at 15GB, but this depends on if my drive analyzer is having trouble with hard links (the "winsxs" folder that is usually blamed for taking up so much space can be made up of a ton of hard links that cause one file to be counted as many https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160322-00/?p=93183 ).

So if I don't include any of my games, I can run on 60GB. Windows is just terrible at cleaning up after itself. If you do Disk Cleanup with "Cleanup System Files", it'll catch a lot more.

I have a 120GB SSD in my laptop, and it is a massive pain in the ass, and it's not even my main PC. So yeah 240GB minimum.