The Software Half of a PC Build

Omie

So once I build my PC, I know that there is a bunch of software I need to install to get my PC working properly.

I know most people suggest to download software online rather than CD's, but for things like the motherboard, I'm kind of confused as to what drivers to download. 

I have an Asus Maximus IX Hero board and idk which drivers I'm supposed to download from here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Apart from that, I know I'll need GPU drivers, Corsair Link for my AIO, FanXpert for my case fans, and Asus Aura Sync for my LED's. Would that be pretty much it?

For drivers just install the os. If it does connect to the network, install the driver for that. Then let it sit for a hour and all the drivers you need will be automatically installed. 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

just go to manufacture website and download from there. 

I know but like which ones? 

There's: Hotfix, BIOS, Chipset, SATA, LAN, AUDIO, VGA

5 minutes ago, Omie said:

So once I build my PC, I know that there is a bunch of software I need to install to get my PC working properly.

I know most people suggest to download software online rather than CD's, but for things like the motherboard, I'm kind of confused as to what drivers to download. 

I have an Asus Maximus IX Hero board and idk which drivers I'm supposed to download from here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Apart from that, I know I'll need GPU drivers, Corsair Link for my AIO, FanXpert for my case fans, and Asus Aura Sync for my LED's. Would that be pretty much it?

you'll be good man, I recently did my first build a few months ago now I'm already on my fourth lol. Basically just install windows first, then your wireless internet adapter driver if you have one (mine came with a cd disk), then your motherboard website's driver page and install for your motherboard model, then your graphics card manufacturer page and install their drivers

1 minute ago, Omie said:

connect to the internet also go to manufacture website and download everything they have for your motherboard. 

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Get the newest version of chipset, lan, sata and audio. Install in that order and reboot when necessary.

Then get your gpu drivers from amd/nvidia.

If you have anything else in your system, then those drivers.

4 minutes ago, TomR said:

you'll be good man, I recently did my first build a few months ago now I'm already on my fourth lol. Basically just install windows first, then your wireless internet adapter driver if you have one (mine came with a cd disk), then your motherboard website's driver page and install for your motherboard model, then your graphics card manufacturer page and install their drivers

Oh ok, well my mobo doesn't have built in wifi, is that what your talking about? Or is the wireless internet adapter something else? I'm planning to connect to the internet via Ethernet.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For drivers just install the os. If it does connect to the network, install the driver for that. Then let it sit for a hour and all the drivers you need will be automatically installed. 

So you're saying the OS basically installs everything for me?

4 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

Get the newest version of chipset, lan, sata and audio. Install in that order and reboot when necessary.

Then get your gpu drivers from amd/nvidia.

If you have anything else in your system, then those drivers.

Thanks! I'll do that. So the CD isn't necessary?

@Omie Download your network and chipset drivers to a USB ahead of when you'll need them.

Install in this order:

Chipset

LAN/WAN

everything else for the motherboard

Nvidia/AMD drivers

Nvidia/AMD program if you want them.

Go to Ninite.com and select the programs you'd like and begin the download.

They will install by themselves and you'll just have to monitor them for permissions.

After that, you should have all the programs you need and you'll have to look for the ones that Ninite did not have.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@Omie Download your network and chipset drivers to a USB ahead of when you'll need them.

Install in this order:

Chipset

LAN/WAN

everything else for the motherboard

Nvidia/AMD drivers

Nvidia/AMD program if you want them.

Go to Ninite.com and select the programs you'd like and begin the download.

They will install by themselves and you'll just have to monitor them for permissions.

After that, you should have all the programs you need and you'll have to look for the ones that Ninite did not have.

Ok, but it doesn't list WAN under the site, just LAN.

And is it necessary to have them downloaded to a USB beforehand? Because I'm planing on just connecting my Ethernet cable and then going online and downloading the mobo drivers from the site.

Just now, Omie said:

Ok, but it doesn't list WAN under the site, just LAN.

And is it necessary to have them downloaded to a USB beforehand? Because I'm planing on just connecting my Ethernet cable and then going online and downloading the mobo drivers from the site.

LAN or WAN (if you have an integrated WAN card) drivers may be necessary since the Ethernet may not properly connect without it. Having them ready beforehand will help you out since you will also need to make a bootable USB for Linux or USB installer for Windows.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

LAN or WAN (if you have an integrated WAN card) drivers may be necessary since the Ethernet may not properly connect without it. Having them ready beforehand will help you out since you will also need to make a bootable USB for Linux or USB installer for Windows.

Oh I see. I'll download them just in case then. I bought windows 10 from Microsoft and it comes with a USB for the windows already. So I think I'll just be able to plug it into the rear panel of my IO.

1 hour ago, Omie said:

Speaking of Corsair Link, may I ask a stupid question about it?

9 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

Speaking of Corsair Link, may I ask a stupid question about it?

Haha, sure, whats your question?

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I actually ran into a problem, I'm not sure which chipset driver I'm supposed to install.

Beta Version V11.6.0.1026

Description Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V11.6.0.1026 for Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)
File Size 104.13 MBytesupdate 2017/01/05
Download from Global

Version V10.1.1.38

Description -Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.38 for Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)
File Size 4.49 MBytesupdate 2017/01/05
Download from Global

One is a much bigger size than the other, but they both have the same date.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Haha, sure, whats your question?

I own a h100i v2 and I have activated the LED and set the color that I wanted but I wonder if I can make the LED on the block pulse. I have tried to do it but I can't seem to find the setting (if there is one)

3 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

I own a h100i v2 and I have activated the LED and set the color that I wanted but I wonder if I can make the LED on the block pulse. I have tried to do it but I can't seem to find the setting (if there is one)

I don't think you can. The h100i v2 is an Asetek pump and the firmware for those are limited compared to the older CoolIt pumps (the GT models). I believe on those models you can change the LED modes, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't think there is a way to change the LED modes on the H100i V2 or GTX series ones.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

I don't think you can. The h100i v2 is an Asetek pump and the firmware for those are limited compared to the older CoolIt pumps (the GT models). I believe on those models you can change the LED modes, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't think there is a way to change the LED modes on the H100i V2 or GTX series ones.

Well that suck major ass because all of my LEDs pulse and the pump is the only static one. Anyways thanks mate!

4 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

Well that suck major ass because all of my LEDs pulse and the pump is the only static one. Anyways thanks mate!

Yeah, it sucks. Although I'm not sure if they have updated Corsair Link to be able to change the LED modes. To be honest, I think you should make a thread in the Liquid Cooling section of the forum and ask. List the exact model of your cooler too. There are people there that know a lot more than me :) 

8 minutes ago, Omie said:

I actually ran into a problem, I'm not sure which chipset driver I'm supposed to install.

You can get both. One is for the Management Engine which opens the communication link between the OS and the chipset for other programs to use. The other is for the chipset itself.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/misc-devices/mei/mei.txt

If you want to read a bit.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Yeah, it sucks. Although I'm not sure if they have updated Corsair Link to be able to change the LED modes. To be honest, I think you should make a thread in the Liquid Cooling section of the forum and ask. List the exact model of your cooler too. There are people there that know a lot more than me :) 

ok thanks I just didn't know where I could post this kind of question so I clicked on your thread and voila I saw something about Corsair Link so I said why not try to ask.

5 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

ok thanks I just didn't know where I could post this kind of question so I clicked on your thread and voila I saw something about Corsair Link so I said why not try to ask.

Haha, good luck, hopefully it works out! I'm hoping too cause I have the same type of model :)

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Haha, good luck, hopefully it works out! I'm hoping too cause I have the same type of model :)

will report back to you when I find an answer.

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can get both. One is for the Management Engine which opens the communication link between the OS and the chipset for other programs to use. The other is for the chipset itself.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/misc-devices/mei/mei.txt

If you want to read a bit.

Oh ok, so it's best to install both then?

4 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

will report back to you when I find an answer.

Ok sounds good!