New SSD things to do?

Fill6251
Go to solution Solved by Fill6251,

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will just leave things alone but if I start to run into problems then I will do a clean install. 

Hey Everyone,

I have installed my first SSD. A 256GB evo 850 msata card and wow it is fast. I do have a 1TB HDD as well. 
I am wanting to optimize and make sure that I am not doing things that would hurt it. I found this guide which some of them sound good but I do not fully understand them all. 1-5 seem no brainer but 6-12 are above my head as in what I am actually doing to my computer so I want to make sure it is good advice before proceeding.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Most of those things are bad. Ignore the clickbait articles and leave your SSD alone.

Windows takes care of everything for you.

What you should NOT do is clone/migrate to an SSD. As long as you clean installed then you're fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Most of those things are bad. Ignore the clickbait articles and leave your SSD alone.

Windows takes care of everything for you.

What you should NOT do is clone/migrate to an SSD. As long as you clean installed then you're fine.

I have already migrated and I do not see anything wrong with it. Why should I do a clean install instead? 

As for windows takes care of everything... I have a hard time believing that.

7 minutes ago, Fill6251 said:

I have already migrated and I do not see anything wrong with it. Why should I do a clean install instead? 

As for windows takes care of everything... I have a hard time believing that.

Basically it causes a ton of issues which you usually run into either soon after cloning or months later when trying to install a windows update.

Cloning is a lazy way of avoiding a clean install but when you start having issues you will need to clean install anyway to fix them, saving you no time in the long run and giving you more headaches.

You can google "issues after cloning" to see the millions of things that will go wrong sometime in the next few months or years, since it seems like you were lucky enough to have your PC still boot properly after cloning.

Even companies like WD highly recommend against cloning because it can make the OS recognize the SSD as a HDD.

Trust me, even if you have no issues now, you will in the future. I've seen thousands of people come to this forum asking for help because something isn't working and it is because they cloned/migrated their drive.

If you clean install windows it will detect it properly as an SSD and you do not need to do any of that stuff in the clickbait article because it is either done for you already (trim, disable defrag, etc), or it should not be done (indexing, superfetch etc).

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Fill6251 said:

so how would I know if windows is seeing my ssd as a hdd?

It would give you the option to defragment it.

Spoiler

You don't have to do any of those things. I've never done any of them on any of the SSDs I've owned, and I've never run into any problems. The one thing I would do is update the firmware before you install anything onto it. Some SSDs can't update once there's a copy of Windows installed on it.

I think you're far too worried about absolutely nothing. It takes an awful lot to "hurt" an SSD.

36 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It would give you the option to defragment it.

You get the option to defragment SSDs as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will just leave things alone but if I start to run into problems then I will do a clean install. 

A lot of those things you had to do in when SSDs were finally becoming mainstream and the OS wouldn't know what to do with it. Windows 8 and beyond however do know when an SSD is installed and it will configure itself appropriately.

Also that first point. If you weren't enabling AHCI in 2012, you must be using an old OS.

And removing the page file is a bad idea.