Using Windows Firewall to block everything else except the game! would that work??? final question about that i hope!

stuck stock heatsink

hello again, i'm still searching for a solution... here's some details:

i have 2 modems, one adsl(tp-link), one vdsl(airties)...

Ls3ZyD3.jpg

my adsl speed is 8mbps/800kbps and 9ms ping(at its best) not the game ping :D just speedtest ping... both connections to the same server.

my vdsl speed is 32mbps/3mbps and 17ms ping(at its best)

i got adsl just to play my online game while streaming on twitch, because streaming was affecting my ping and the game was unplayable...

now i will stream from vdsl while playing from adsl. i actually can do this right now without using second pc

asked here:

i just set my adsl metric 1, vdsl metric 2 and bind obs to vdsl... that way everything using adsl by default but obs streaming through vdsl because it's binded to it.

like this:

y2lHRVl.jpg

i was able to do that because obs has such a feature. right now its mostly usable that way. it helps me a lot, but im looking for perfecting it!

i really want my adsl for gaming and only gaming! not browsing or chatting or teamspeaking etc...

i have an idea again, but not sure if that would work...

first, set vdsl metric 1, adsl metric 2... make the vdsl default.

set adsl as public network, vdsl as private network...

then block game connection with windows firewall for private networks... and block everything except the game for public networks.

that way game couldnt connect from vdsl... it seems like it could work to me... what do you guys think about that?

@leadeater especially thank you for previous helps :) could that way work for what i want?

btw i got myself an usb to ethernet adapter for vdsl since wifi is not stable enough. it'll arrive in couple of days. that way both my connections will be stable i hope.

and retired my 9 years old modem, got that new tplink adsl modem :) it actually reduced my ping by 2 ms... my best adsl ping was 11ms with the old modem

I would add a pfSense router to load balance the two connections, then create outbound LAN rule sets to send certain traffic types (streaming) out via the preferred connection.

You can virtualise a pfSense router on your local PC to do this if you are using Windows for your OS, which I assume you are.

That way you can get double the bandwidth at all times and spread protocols over different dsl connections.

Just so you know, the default for Windows is to send all traffic out via the lowest IP octet, so the lower IP range IP will be used as the default for all but specifically bound applications.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

45 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

I would add a pfSense router to load balance the two connections, then create outbound LAN rule sets to send certain traffic types (streaming) out via the preferred connection.

You can virtualise a pfSense router on your local PC to do this if you are using Windows for your OS, which I assume you are.

That way you can get double the bandwidth at all times and spread protocols over different dsl connections.

Just so you know, the default for Windows is to send all traffic out via the lowest IP octet, so the lower IP range IP will be used as the default for all but specifically bound applications.

its just 8mbps not double the speed... i cant afford for anything btw. i cant spend any more money... and i dont care if my total speed is 32 or 40.. wouldnt change anything...

is there a way to bind firefox to specific nic then? just firefox is enough for me.

pfSense is free by the way and can either be run in virtualisation on a Windows 7,8,10 PC or you can simply use an old shitty PC if you have an old piece of crap knocking around?  Most people do, hell you could pick up one from a PC shop for like £10.

I don't understand why you would pay for 2 connections and not reap the benefits of both of those connections even when not streaming.  Its a massive waste of money.

If all you want to do is bind, then this may help.
http://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to-force-an-application-to-use-a-specific-network-card/

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

pfSense is free by the way and can either be run in virtualisation on a Windows 7,8,10 PC or you can simply use an old shitty PC if you have an old piece of crap knocking around?  Most people do, hell you could pick up one from a PC shop for like £10.

I don't understand why you would pay for 2 connections and not reap the benefits of both of those connections even when not streaming.  Its a massive waste of money.

If all you want to do is bind, then this may help.
http://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to-force-an-application-to-use-a-specific-network-card/

forcebindip is not working for any browser... tried firefox chrome and opera...

it works for some apps like wtfast, but app crashes randomly if i bind with that.

8mbps connection dude, i really dont care 32 or 40. 32 mbps is enough for me already... i have an old pc yes but it would still add some ping even if its 1-2ms i care that more than total 40mbps speed...

It will add less than <1ms ping, its all internal networking and the ping is generally calculated in the micro seconds.

You are here asking for advice and I am giving you the best advice I can which is to do it correctly.  It doesn't matter if its 8Mb, if you do it right you get all the features and benefit of an 'enterprise grade' firewall with absolutely no cost to yourself.  I don't see what you have to lose, you win all round.

I would even go out of my way to help you with the firewall rule set and give you some advice on configuration etc so you can familiarise yourself.

Here's what I would do;

Use the 8Mbit connection for all low latency gaming, adsl in 'fast-path' has a better latency tolerance and no game will utilise more than 8Mbit down/1Mbit up.  This can be done easily with outbound port redirection rules.

I would utilise the other connection for everything else and share the 8Mbit downstream for certain internal PC's you designate so that you could benefit from both connections when downloading from steam etc.

This saves you from doing any type of binding on local PCs, all the configuration would be done on the firewall/router so it is transparent to the end user.

38 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

It will add less than <1ms ping, its all internal networking and the ping is generally calculated in the micro seconds.

You are here asking for advice and I am giving you the best advice I can which is to do it correctly.  It doesn't matter if its 8Mb, if you do it right you get all the features and benefit of an 'enterprise grade' firewall with absolutely no cost to yourself.  I don't see what you have to lose, you win all round.

I would even go out of my way to help you with the firewall rule set and give you some advice on configuration etc so you can familiarise yourself.

Here's what I would do;

Use the 8Mbit connection for all low latency gaming, adsl in 'fast-path' has a better latency tolerance and no game will utilise more than 8Mbit down/1Mbit up.  This can be done easily with outbound port redirection rules.

I would utilise the other connection for everything else and share the 8Mbit downstream for certain internal PC's you designate so that you could benefit from both connections when downloading from steam etc.

This saves you from doing any type of binding on local PCs, all the configuration would be done on the firewall/router so it is transparent to the end user.

because my old pc is unreliable... has a chinese off-brand 400w rated probably 250-ish real watt psu which can literally explode.. also instead of my own killer ethernet port on gaming series mobo, i have to trust 10 year old low-end mobo's cheap realtek controller?

it can dc anytime, it can cause ping spikes, old pc is loud etc. and its a lot of work to connect it everyday...

i just wanna use one pc with the least cpu usage since this is my gaming rig.

On 06.01.2017 at 0:11 AM, Falconevo said:

Here's what I would do;

btw, i just think about pfsense again... i didnt understand one thing...

u said i can just use my old pc right? but it has only 1 ethernet port... i need to connect both my modems to it for load balancing between them. so i need to pay for hardware, just to try if its gonna work or not...

To virtualise it on your own PC, you have 2 NIC's however for the old PC yes you would need another network card with 2 ports.

E.g something like this from eBay.

I buy them for about £5-10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-port-1GB-Ethernet-PCI-E-card-Intel-EXPI9404PTG2L20-/332082485834?hash=item4d51a89a4a:g:XAoAAOSwt5hYbnI~

3 hours ago, Falconevo said:

To virtualise it on your own PC, you have 2 NIC's however for the old PC yes you would need another network card with 2 ports.

E.g something like this from eBay.

I buy them for about £5-10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-port-1GB-Ethernet-PCI-E-card-Intel-EXPI9404PTG2L20-/332082485834?hash=item4d51a89a4a:g:XAoAAOSwt5hYbnI~

i might try virtually... but still not sure how it can divide game connection...

i'll send all my data to pfsense from a single connection, then pfsense will separate the game and send it to internet through one nic... everything else will go through the second nic...

but how can it do that? can i really set it this way? pfsense cant see the apps running on my pc, how can it separate the game packets?

pfSense has packet inspection capability and it is primarily a firewall/router platform with enterprise features.

I'm off to get some kip, but drop me a DM and I will assist further.

5 hours ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

i might try virtually... but still not sure how it can divide game connection...

i'll send all my data to pfsense from a single connection, then pfsense will separate the game and send it to internet through one nic... everything else will go through the second nic...

but how can it do that? can i really set it this way? pfsense cant see the apps running on my pc, how can it separate the game packets?

Yes pfsense can do this, the general networking term for this is called Policy Based Routing. You will need to have a connection to both routers, a single cable to one and then link the routers will work fine. Pfsense just needs IP connectivity to both routers it's not that fussy on how, not for what you want to do.

You actually only need a single NIC if you are going to run it as a VM on the same computer your gaming/streaming on. The physical connection goes out to your routers and you just use internal virtual switching to connect your Windows OS to pfsense.