i7 7700k Tray vs Boxed

Go to solution Solved by DamanC,

Get the boxed - Your price for tray is overpriced as its not meant to be sold to the public. To OEM partners that price is a little less. With tray you just get the CPU. With retail you get the box, manaual, warranty leaflet, case sticker(!!!) and cooler if the model comes with one.

Hello,

I was looking for the latest 7700k and noticed boxed version is around ~50$ cheaper than tray. I always understood tray version is cheaper because it has no stock fan included. Is there anything else that seperates these two? So the question is, should I go for the cheaper boxed version? I'm not going to use the stock fan but a Kraken x62 cooler.

Thank you in advance!

None of the 7700K versions has the stock cooler, just a FYI. Same goes for the 7600K.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

None of the 7700K versions has the stock cooler, just a FYI. Same goes for the 7600K.

Oh I see, so why is the boxed version ~50$ cheaper? What's the difference and which should I take?

Boxed (link)

Tray (link)

A tray version is designed to be sold to an OEM... The warranty around those parts can be interesting as you're expected to go through an intel partner. technically the warranty is the same, just the return policy can be a little more interesting.

6 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

A tray version is designed to be sold to an OEM... The warranty around those parts can be interesting as you're expected to go through an intel partner. technically the warranty is the same, just the return policy can be a little more interesting.

Okay, I think I'll just get the boxed one since it's cheaper.

Get the boxed - Your price for tray is overpriced as its not meant to be sold to the public. To OEM partners that price is a little less. With tray you just get the CPU. With retail you get the box, manaual, warranty leaflet, case sticker(!!!) and cooler if the model comes with one.

8 minutes ago, DamanC said:

Thank you for your reply, this made me confident about the boxed one. And that case sticker! ^^