Multiple Problems: (DISPLAYPORT, BIOS INFORMATION, & NZXT HUE+...)

Hi,

I'm new to PC building and after building my first PC, I ran into a lot of problems that I can't seem to troubleshoot myself - so I've turned to you guys!

I have multiple problems sorted in order from greatest to least:

1. My graphics card will not connect to my monitor via DisplayPort, but it works perfectly with HDMI
  2. My BIOS is reading my CPU voltage at 1.776 and my RAM clock speed at 2133MHz (it's clocked at 3466MHz)
  3. NZXT Hue+'s LED strips do not turn on and NZXT Hue+ module light does not turn off unless the entire system is unplugged from the wall (turning the system off and turning power supply off doesn't work)

Things you should note:

• While working on the fan controller, I had a problem with static electricity that may or may not have hit the motherboard (which at the time had CPU and RAM both installed). All of my fans work
  • I do not have my SSD yet, Samsung's shipping where I live is apparently incredibly notorious
  • I have not booted into Windows 10 yet, I'm concerned about all of these problems because I'm wondering if I can fix them even before I boot into Windows
    • Knowing this, you know that I do not have any drivers (such as the NVIDIA GeForce drivers, but I don't think you need NVIDIA GeForce drivers just to connect to your monitor from your graphics card via DisplayPort, or do you?) or anything like that
  • I'm inexperienced in the field of technology - so please be patient with me! I'm sorry
  • I am pretty sure both the RAM and CPU are compatible with the motherboard

Build:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K
  • RAM/Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-3466 (4 x 8GB)
  • Motherboard: ASRock X99 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming i7
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming Z
  • Monitor: Acer Predator X34

Thank you - I hope you guys are able to help me!

Your system could be clocking itself down (because whats the point of running fast if your not doing anything)
Please god get the system in "Used state" - Install Windows, get drivers, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

1 minute ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Your system could be clocking itself down (because whats the point of running fast if your not doing anything)
Please god get the system in "Used state" - Install Windows, get drivers, etc.

Noted, is this known to happen for other people too? I am very inexperienced, so please excuse me, but it seems really weird that I need to get the PC into running state and download drivers and such to get the built-in DisplayPort inputs on my graphics card to work as well as to have my BIOS read my CPU's voltage and RAM's clock speed correctly. Thank you for your answer!

Any other suggestions?

I have experienced certain parts of a card not working without a driver, maybe it is your bios and graphics not working perfectly, who knows.

The clocking itself down bit is a separate thing with nothing to do with it. I have no answer for that.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

I have experienced certain parts of a card not working without a driver, maybe it is your bios and graphics not working perfectly, who knows.

The clocking itself down bit is a separate thing with nothing to do with it. I have no answer for that.

Do you think the static discharge when I was working with the fan controller may have caused the latter (CPU voltage and RAM clock speed issues)? If this is indeed the case, do I need to replace my CPU, memory/RAM, and/or motherboard?

Static Discharge doesn't work like that.

In my experience, its dead or its alive. Given you are new to this, maybe you underclocked it on accident?

Here's what I would do:

Get windows 10 and drivers installed

get graphics card working

then deal with clock issues.

Hate to be the person who says this:

Did you really need that expensive hardware?

Especially for someone new to PC building, seems a little overkill. x99 and a 1080, hmmm...

If you are doing content creation and stuff, it might be fine, but if you're doing lightER (Than content creation) stuff such as gaming, it's not really needed.

Static Discharge doesn't work like that.

In my experience, its dead or its alive. Given you are new to this, maybe you underclocked it on accident?

Here's what I would do:

Get windows 10 and drivers installed

get graphics card working

then deal with clock issues.

Never touched anything in the BIOS, I would doubt it, unless someone has been touching things without me knowing. I would just connect my graphics card to my monitor via HDMI then look at the BIOS in which everything seemed right except the RAM clock speeds and the CPU voltage. But okay - I'll definitely get Windows installed and download drivers and such next.

And yeah, for the static discharge part, my motherboard seems to work fine aside from reading the wrong CPU voltage and RAM clock speeds. All of its built-in LEDs work, it can boot into the BIOS, the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot the GPU is inserted in obviously works (except for the DisplayPort issue), etc. So if it's true that it either works or it doesn't - then it may be my CPU or RAM (RAM LEDs light up though) that need to be replaced in the case of a static discharge.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin226 said:

Hate to be the person who says this:

Did you really need that expensive hardware?

Especially for someone new to PC building, seems a little overkill. x99 and a 1080, hmmm...

If you are doing content creation and stuff, it might be fine, but if you're doing lightER (Than content creation) stuff such as gaming, it's not really needed.

Yeah, doing content creation, light at this moment but I'm expecting 2017 to be a nice year. I currently use a mid-2012 MacBook Pro - super bad for Premier Pro and After Effects!

Do you have any other tips for helping me troubleshoot my problems?

1 minute ago, Anonymous00001 said:

Yeah, doing content creation, light at this moment but I'm expecting 2017 to be a nice year. I currently use a mid-2012 MacBook Pro - super bad for Premier Pro and After Effects!

Do you have any other tips for helping me troubleshoot my problems?

Ok, sounds great.

Other than what @Divide_By_0 said, I don't really have anything to add on.

Thanks all for commenting so far, but I'd love to hear any other different suggestions, if there are any other suggestions!

Are my problems common problems, and is this usually how they're fixed (suggestions above)?

Have you yourself set the RAM speed, timings and volts?

Or did you just plug the ram in and left it?

Display port is an open standard. It depends how the manufactures implement it. The port itself has to be the same (physically) but the workings can be different.

Install Windows 10, install all the latest drivers and then we move on.

It's not a race to the bottom.

1 minute ago, 0x1e said:

Have you yourself set the RAM speed, timings and volts?

Or did you just plug the ram in and left it?

Display port is an open standard. It depends how the manufactures implement it. The port itself has to be the same (physically) but the workings can be different.

Install Windows 10, install all the latest drivers and then we move on.

Should I mess around with the RAM speed, timing, and volts before installing the drivers (like right now)? Or wait until my SSD finally comes?

1 minute ago, Anonymous00001 said:

Should I mess around with the RAM speed, timing, and volts before installing the drivers (like right now)? Or wait until my SSD finally comes?

Setting up your computer in bios should be what you do before anything else.

Just because the RAM can do 3,466Mhz doesn't mean that's what it's running. 2,133 is the JDEC standard so that's what every single DDR4 platform will default to.

You have to then set it to the speed, timings and voltages that you want.

You can do that either by using XMP, or manually doing it.

You also do other things in bios if you like. Set fan curves, enable or disable features. (like I don't use USB 3.0, so it's disabled. I don't want to see the splash screen so it's disabled. I want to save power so the power saving features are enabled and so on)

Then you install Windows. Download and install drivers and take it from there.

57 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Setting up your computer in bios should be what you do before anything else.

Just because the RAM can do 3,466Mhz doesn't mean that's what it's running. 2,133 is the JDEC standard so that's what every single DDR4 platform will default to.

You have to then set it to the speed, timings and voltages that you want.

You can do that either by using XMP, or manually doing it.

You also do other things in bios if you like. Set fan curves, enable or disable features. (like I don't use USB 3.0, so it's disabled. I don't want to see the splash screen so it's disabled. I want to save power so the power saving features are enabled and so on)

Then you install Windows. Download and install drivers and take it from there.

My BIOS is telling me to increase the CPU voltage even more. My CPU is the Intel Core i7-6850K. It's already at 1.776. I thought the maximum was 1.35 to be safe? Remember, I'm inexperienced. But I want to make sure before I do anything dumb.

10 hours ago, Anonymous00001 said:

My BIOS is telling me to increase the CPU voltage even more. My CPU is the Intel Core i7-6850K. It's already at 1.776. I thought the maximum was 1.35 to be safe? Remember, I'm inexperienced. But I want to make sure before I do anything dumb.

1.35V is not the official safe voltages but it's what most people agree that it can be used without a problem.

I have a custom water loop, So I went all the way to 1.53V for a 5.1Ghz OC with my 2500k.

However I sit at 1.46V for a constant 4.9Ghz. However I do that because 1, It has no warranty left to protect. 2, I can replace it easily.

If you're on air than I would say 1.35V is the maximum. AIO 1.4V depending on which AIO.

However to be safe, I would say 1.25-1.3V.

1.7V is far too high and has been for donkey years.

What exactly have you done to the bios?

13 hours ago, 0x1e said:

1.35V is not the official safe voltages but it's what most people agree that it can be used without a problem.

I have a custom water loop, So I went all the way to 1.53V for a 5.1Ghz OC with my 2500k.

However I sit at 1.46V for a constant 4.9Ghz. However I do that because 1, It has no warranty left to protect. 2, I can replace it easily.

If you're on air than I would say 1.35V is the maximum. AIO 1.4V depending on which AIO.

However to be safe, I would say 1.25-1.3V.

1.7V is far too high and has been for donkey years.

What exactly have you done to the bios?

So far, I have only tried clocking my RAM to DDR4-3466, the clock speed it comes at. My motherboard is reading it as DDR4-2133, probably because the Intel Core i7-6850K has defaults of DDR4-2133 and DDR4-2400. My BIOS is reading my CPU to be having a voltage of 1.776 volts and recommends me increasing it to 1.8-1.9 volts for overclocking.

5 hours ago, Anonymous00001 said:

So far, I have only tried clocking my RAM to DDR4-3466, the clock speed it comes at. My motherboard is reading it as DDR4-2133, probably because the Intel Core i7-6850K has defaults of DDR4-2133 and DDR4-2400. My BIOS is reading my CPU to be having a voltage of 1.776 volts and recommends me increasing it to 1.8-1.9 volts for overclocking.

Do you have the latest bios?

Your default should be around 1.10-1.15V

10 hours ago, 0x1e said:

Do you have the latest bios?

Your default should be around 1.10-1.15V

I do believe I have the latest BIOS. And yeah, that's what I thought the default is. But after watching ASRock BIOS reviews on YouTube it looks like everyone starts with ~1.7.