Getting into Embedded Systems. Microcontrollers?

A lot of jobs around me are involved with Embedded Systems and I want to get into working with microcontrollers. I am pretty decent at C++ and VB programming languages and have taken a simple robotics in C programming class in college. I want to get into programming microcontrollers but feel a little overwhelmed. I don't have a ton of cash to spend on this project, $60-$100 USD, so I don't want to waste my money.

So what projects can I get going to help me get started in the $60-$100 USD range? Is it worth getting a breadboard and slapping microcontroller, resistors and what not on it? I have seen ways of doing this that I found interesting using In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) such as the PICKit 3 as shown here:

http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/pickit3_mplabx/

I like the idea of working with individual components rather than full circuit boards like the Arduino and Raspberry PI; I feel like I would get more out of it learning wise. Any suggestions on where/how to start?

A goal would be to eventually be able to turn off and on an electric heater, on a schedule, by mimicking the remote control signals it came with.

The a obvious answer is of course the arduino. However looking at your background, I would also recommend the pics and the STM32 and STM8. For simple stuff, the arduino is really the way to go for learning. After all it was designed to teach non-engineers to use micros. If you wanna fiddle about with fuses, learning commands and the ever dreaded pointers, them I like atmel studio for AVR's and also keil for STM. never tried pics so I cant tell you how they work. Cheers

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Personally, id buy a arduino kit. There is a nice community behind it.

For the bread board vs premade, there is almost no difference, all you get is a preatached power regulator and crystal, you can still do whatever you want.

Plus the arduino environment makes it fool-proof. pretty much nothing can go wrong. (unlike with fricking atmel studio)

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I was thinking about the Raspberry PI and the Arduino but then I had an informal interview with a guy from a Avionics company and he was trying to steer me into pics. I see why after doing a lot of research since it looks like it requires more learning and isn't as intuitive because a lot of work is done for you with the Arduinos and stuff (which is what he is saying). I just don't know where to start.

if your planning on looking for a job based on this look at PICs ,arm cortext(or relay any arm) and mega avr you could also look at the tiva launchpad and the mooc it was built forhttps://www.edx.org/course/embedded-systems-shape-world-utaustinx-ut-6-03x. arduinos and raspis are cool for hobbyists but if you actually want to get a job in embedded systems these are what you're going to want to look at 

I would recommend an ARM Cortex M kit (I think the latest is the M4). There's a large community behind ARM chips as well. You can pick up kits for less than $50. Otherwise you probably can't go wrong with an Arduino.

Raspberry Pi I'm on the fence about since it's basically a single board computer and much more complicated to handle than a microcontroller.

Also make sure whatever you get has a USB based JTAG debugger. A lot of kits come with one with it attached to the microcontroller board. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.

9 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

if your planning on looking for a job based on this look at PICs ,arm cortext(or relay any arm) and mega avr you could also look at the tiva launchpad and the mooc it was built forhttps://www.edx.org/course/embedded-systems-shape-world-utaustinx-ut-6-03x. arduinos and raspis are cool for hobbyists but if you actually want to get a job in embedded systems these are what you're going to want to look at 

The link that you provided looks promising. I can't really tell what it is though. It doesn't look free even though it says that in the side panel what's the catch?

Also I will look into those other products that you mentioned. I just really need something to tell me what I can do with these things (books, project kits or something). I am really not familiar with this stuff at all. If I where to buy some of these pre made boards like what can/should I be doing with them? 

1 minute ago, ProfoundDisputes said:

The link that you provided looks promising. I can't really tell what it is though. It doesn't look free even though it says that in the side panel what's the catch?

Also I will look into those other products that you mentioned. I just really need something to tell me what I can do with these things (books, project kits or something). I am really not familiar with this stuff at all. If I where to buy some of these pre made boards like what can/should I be doing with them? 

no its free as long as you don't want a certificate 

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

no its free as long as you don't want a certificate 

Have you used them before?

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

yes i've done this course

Cool, thanks a lot. I am starting it now. I am still looking for other material or products to check out.

34 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

yes i've done this course

I know you are suggesting this course so it must be decent but how much did it help you personally? Like do you feel confident with embedded systems and did you start it as a novice?

EDIT: Just want to know before I buy the kits and stuff needed for the class. I want to get started right away but need a little more confidence in the class. So far its looking really promising.

Edited by ProfoundDisputes