OC on Dell monitor

momsspaghetti

Hello,

is it possible to overclock my Dell U2515H 1440p monitor from 60hz to maybe 75 (80?) ? And if yes would (/could) it damage the monitor?

1 minute ago, momsspaghetti said:

Hello,

is it possible to overclock my Dell U2515H 1440p monitor from 60hz to maybe 75 (80?) ? And if yes would (/could) it damage the monitor?

Overclocking monitors is the same as overclocking a CPU or GPU you don't know until you try some units overclock better than others, some units will however give an error if it is pushed out of spec. and just not work. It won't however damage the monitor. 

-Moved to Displays- 

Possible to do? Probably.

Damage possible? yes.

I have damaged an old asus "gaming" monitor of mine by overclocking it to just 75. The performance benefit between 60-76 Hz was not enough for me to justify doing this again.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Possible to do? Probably.

Damage possible? yes.

I have damaged an old asus "gaming" monitor of mine by overclocking it to just 75. The performance benefit between 60-76 Hz was not enough for me to justify doing this again.

Damage in what regard? Image burn? You can fix that with an extremely white background, and leave it on for hours. I know some of those Korean panels tend to burn at high refresh rates (110+) when left on static images.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

It won't however damage the monitor. 

Ohh you can definitely damage the monitor. It is not like oc-ing your CPU or GPU because those things have safeguards built into them so that they do not break. Monitor overclocking is NOT up to that level yet. 

Mine isn't full on dead but whenever I switch resolutions (or fullscreen videos on youtube) I get 4-5 seconds of black screen, that did not used to happen before I tried the OC thing.

My dell monitors overclocked nicely. One of them OCed to 75 Hz, the other OCed to 68 Hz. And yes, the monitors actually use the signal (there are plenty of tools online to test your monitor refresh rate.) 

If I went any further the image got blurry, so it was pretty easy to tell when to stop.

By the way, I just did it by creating a custom resolution in nvidia control panel that had whatever refresh rate I was looking for. 

You don't need to modify the controller on the monitor at all. You can do it from the NVidia control panel or use CPU.

Here's a guide for it I found: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-monitor-to-a-higher-refresh-rate/

Do this at your own risk, and if you smell that lovely burning electronics smell (like I did) you may be pushing it a little too hard. (that's what she said)

just try it.. if you live without pushing the boundaries of your computer you may as well get a console! 

just crank it up 5hz at a time, if you get "image out of range" or "cannot be displayed" dial it back by 5. my x34a out the box is a "100hz" monitor, but when you plug it in its only 75hz you have to overclock it yourself to get it to 100 and that direct from the factory.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I have this Dell Monitor as my main one. First off, for the price it is excellent. And about 3 weeks ago I watched Linus' video on monitor overclocking and since mine is going to be out off warranty in just a month I gave it a shot. First I tried 70 hz and it worked flawlessly. 75 hz was also no problem. So I got to 82 hz on my panel when it started not showing an image or flaking out. Maybe 80hz is also safe but I toned it back to 75hz and I am happy with it. What I encountered though was it helps a lot if you got your games running with more than 60 fps  consistently. Dips in Fps are still very noticeable if they go below 60 fps but it is a whole new experience if they don't (since i got my 1070, that problem is resolved :D). And i kid you not when I say, that the biggest impact was in Aoe II HD Edition (But it was in the time when the new expansions arrived and with them a new update, so who knows :P)

So I would say go for it. Don't risk too much by going all in at once, but I am pretty sure that you are clever enough to figure that out. I wish you good luck. 

Ah, see the terminology confuses me. This isn't really "overclocking" the monitor like telling the controller to operate at a faster rate. It's just feeding it a faster signal. Since degradation in color accuracy is normally involved, that also just tells me it's modifying the data stream to keep it within the bandwidth of the channel.

So in that sense, the only harm overclocking I see doing is driving the LCD element harder than it wants.

EDIT: Never mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition-minimized_differential_signaling#/media/File:Schematic_TMDS_link.svg

That would tell me you're burning out the TMDS receiver.