Why is RAM going up in price?

jado

I built a PC with intention to upgrade it when I get money, Ive been saving a bit and planned to (Maybe) get a Corsair H100i V2, and another 8GB kit of ram. 

The exact same kit of RAM I have in my build currently is now 100$, When I built my build 2 months ago I got it for 50$ (Not on sale), I've checked and a lot of other RAM kits have gone up in price by around 20$ or 30$. Does anyone know what happened? I thought the price of RAM was going down not up :/

7 minutes ago, jado said:

I built a PC with intention to upgrade it when I get money, Ive been saving a bit and planned to (Maybe) get a Corsair H100i V2, and another 8GB kit of ram. 

The exact same kit of RAM I have in my build currently is now 100$, When I built my build 2 months ago I got it for 50$ (Not on sale), I've checked and a lot of other RAM kits have gone up in price by around 20$ or 30$. Does anyone know what happened? I thought the price of RAM was going down not up :/

if its ddr3 then they may have stopped or ramped down production thus making it harder to come by ddr2 ram is insanely expensive for this very reason 

I lurk a lot

9 minutes ago, jado said:

DDR3? Because DDR4 hit mainstream and it's production has stopped.

Some fabs have shifted to NAND, and generally there's just a shortage of DRAM. It tends to oscillate a little, sometimes there's oversupply and falling prices and then the reaction to that causes constriction of supply and increasing prices. It'll turn around eventually.

From what I have read more smartphones are using ddr4 instead of ddr3 so the demand for ddr 4 is rising right now. 

6 minutes ago, Tech_Ds said:

From what I have read more smartphones are using ddr4 instead of ddr3 so the demand for ddr 4 is rising right now. 

Fabs have been shifting towards DDR4 too, so that would normally balance it out.

It's possible the Note 7 recall caused an unexpected extra spike in demand. That was a lot of phones Samsung suddenly couldn't sell.

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

DDR3? Because DDR4 hit mainstream and it's production has stopped.

10 minutes ago, peej said:

if its ddr3 then they may have stopped or ramped down production thus making it harder to come by ddr2 ram is insanely expensive for this very reason 

It's DDR4, https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/R6RFf7/gskill-memory-f42133c15d8gvr

I hope the price goes down, I dont want to pay 100 dollars for 8GB

The yields have gone down recently in some major manufacturing plants for the flash they use, and also the demand has been steadily increasing. Basic economics dictates prices shall rise.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...