Pre-sleeved cables vs sleeving my own

InsertName

of course I "may" be biased but if I were you I would do my hands a favor and just get pre-made cables - if our full kits are too expensive and our basic kits do not feature all cables you need then check out our brand new Essentials Kits:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cablemod+essential&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acablemod+essential

(We are FINALLY available on Amazon PRIME)

7 hours ago, CableMod said:

of course I "may" be biased but if I were you I would do my hands a favor and just get pre-made cables - if our full kits are too expensive and our basic kits do not feature all cables you need then check out our brand new Essentials Kits:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cablemod+essential&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acablemod+essential

(We are FINALLY available on Amazon PRIME)

'Tis too late :)

On 1/18/2017 at 3:35 PM, InsertName said:

Supplies arrived today! Done a couple of test crimps, and I am overloaded with work. Tomorrow I will get lighters and do this! @Revan654 @W-L

OK, Do some test on short wire before you start on the actual PSU cables.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

39 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

OK, Do some test on short wire before you start on the actual PSU cables.

I have gone through 60 pins. I have used most my shrink. I have used all my lighters. I have wasted wire and sleeve. I have made one disgusting cable. Need tips on getting the same size wire and the melting bit @W-L @Revan654

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

I have gone through 60 pins. I have used most my shrink. I have used all my lighters. I have wasted wire and sleeve. I have made one disgusting cable. Need tips on getting the same size wire and the melting bit @W-L @Revan654

The wire you need to use a ruler or jig to cut them exactly the same size, they can't be off by more than a mm or 1/16" of an inch or it can cause it to look odd. For the melting it looks like there isn't enough heat applied and the wasn't pressed down onto the metal crimp portion, make sure it's sealed and stuck onto the crimp you should not be able to even pull it apart if done correctly. When you finish one side you also need to stretch or pull the sleeve down to the other to make sure it's nice and tight around the wire it looks like it's very loose and has a lot of play. 

For the melting portion check the Sleeving section on the guide I have it has diagrams and instructions of where to melt have the sleeve taper down to:

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The wire you need to use a ruler or jig to cut them exactly the same size, they can't be off by more than a mm or 1/16" of an inch or it can cause it to look odd. For the melting it looks like there isn't enough heat applied and the wasn't pressed down onto the metal crimp portion, make sure it's sealed and stuck onto the crimp you should not be able to even pull it apart if done correctly. When you finish one side you also need to stretch or pull the sleeve down to the other to make sure it's nice and tight around the wire it looks like it's very loose and has a lot of play. 

For the melting portion check the Sleeving section on the guide I have it has diagrams and instructions of where to melt have the sleeve taper down to:

How do i make a jig?

4 minutes ago, InsertName said:

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

Like I said your wire may not be 1:1 ratio with the others. The only time you need them to be 100% exact is when your creating an arch or if your going to use cable combs from top to bottom. I use a basic tape measure.

- It looks like your sleeving is not melting enough.

- Place the heatshrink over the sleeving. With the Heatshrink going a bit above the sleeving.

600x306px-LL-5047c11e_3.jpeg

- Make sure you use the blue part of the flame, not the yellow part. ( The flame will engulf the entire sleeve)

- heat each side of the sleeve for about 3 to 8 seconds (Depends how hot the flame is) (Top, bottom, Left & Right). Wait about 2 seconds inbetween each side(I do this so I don't burn through the heatshrink). I use smaller heatshrink, then what MDPC-X sells.

- Always cut the heatshrink while it still hot.

6 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Like I said your wire may not be 1:1 ratio with the others. The only time you need them to be 100% exact is when your creating an arch or if your going to use cable combs from top to bottom. I use a basic tape measure.

- It looks like your sleeving is not melting enough.

- Place the heatshrink over the sleeving. With the Heatshrink going a bit above the sleeving.

600x306px-LL-5047c11e_3.jpeg

- Make sure you use the blue part of the flame, not the yellow part. ( The flame will engulf the entire sleeve)

- heat each side of the sleeve for about 3 to 8 seconds (Depends how hot the flame is) (Top, bottom, Left & Right). Wait about 2 seconds inbetween each side(I do this so I don't burn through the heatshrink). I use smaller heatshrink, then what MDPC-X sells.

- Always cut the heatshrink while it still hot.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, InsertName said:

How do i make a jig?

It can be just simple pieces of tape like we talked about before as long as you are able to accurately measure our abd cut the lengths.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It can be just simple pieces of tape like we talked about before as long as you are able to accurately measure our abd cut the lengths.

I tried masking tape but it is confusing. I have cut some 9.5-10"ish pieces, I was thinking of doing a kind of guillotine where I line them up and cut to 9". Thoughts?

6 hours ago, InsertName said:

I made some that are kinda the same size. Comments @W-L @Revan654

I think I see why your having so many troubles the larger crimps suppose to hold onto the PVC insulation section not the wire, only the smaller crimp is what makes the electrical connection. You just butt up the crimp to the end of the insulation where the wire is stripped which will help keep things much more accurate. 

Sleeve Alignment.JPG

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

I think I see why your having so many troubles the larger crimps suppose to hold onto the PVC insulation section not the wire, only the smaller crimp is what makes the electrical connection. You just butt up the crimp to the end of the insulation where the wire is stripped which will help keep things much more accurate. 

Sleeve Alignment.JPG

Realised. I have done about 15 that are all perfect crimps and all within 5mm each other. Will get a lighter and sleeve them in a bit. How do I stretch it well? Measure it well? Cut it well? 

Prevent fraying?

Realised. I have done about 15 that are all perfect crimps and all within 5mm each other. Will get a lighter and sleeve them in a bit. How do I stretch it well? Measure it well? Cut it well? 

Prevent fraying?

When you cut the sleeving ends melt them to prevent it from fraying then thread it onto the wire, the length is a bit of trial and error once you get it right you can take it back off to use as a master to measure out the other lengths. As for stretching, you basically melt down one end and pull along the length of the sleeve with your fingers until you get to the other end and whole holding or using a clamp to hold the sleeve you melt down the other end, when I did sleeving I always use a small clamp to hold things while I melted the ends or heatshrunk them. Just a word of warning for the stretching your fingers will get sore after a while. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

When you cut the sleeving ends melt them to prevent it from fraying then thread it onto the wire, the length is a bit of trial and error once you get it right you can take it back off to use as a master to measure out the other lengths. As for stretching, you basically melt down one end and pull along the length of the sleeve with your fingers until you get to the other end and whole holding or using a clamp to hold the sleeve you melt down the other end, when I did sleeving I always use a small clamp to hold things while I melted the ends or heatshrunk them. Just a word of warning for the stretching your fingers will get sore after a while. 

So lengthwise just hold the wire next to it and stretch it? And then cut 10 copies or something?

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

So lengthwise just hold the wire next to it and stretch it? And then cut 10 copies or something?

Do ones test it first and see how well it works, then take off that master piece and use it to measure out another to do another test. It's all trial and error since the sleeve can stretch when measuring and cutting also, I measured my sleeve by leaving it in it's stretchered state and when stretched on the wire it would just barely enough. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Do ones test it first and see how well it works, then take off that master piece and use it to measure out another to do another test. It's all trial and error since the sleeve can stretch when measuring and cutting also, I measured my sleeve by leaving it in it's stretchered state and when stretched on the wire it would just barely enough. 

How do I stretch it beforehand? What is barley enough?

How do I stretch it beforehand? What is barley enough?

As in when you put the sleeve onto the wire without stretching it is too short, only until you hold down one end and then stretch the sleeve will it barely just be long enough to melt down then other end. That will help ensure that the sleeve is as tight as possible to the wire without any play or looseness. 

kr2HYI2.jpg

Uv0td4m

P78sAbX.jpg

UHKrMZb.jpg

OJ1UNwa.jpg

2Ah3zpN.jpg

-------------

^ Last one was done professionally by Mod-One.com(May be a bit blurry due to my Cell Phone).

----------

It looks like your stripping to much wire to start with (You only want 6mm or less). I do 6mm since it's the lowest setting possible for my tool. The wire casing should be going inside the terminal. I'm not a fan of the cut and pull type wire strippers. Since you need to hit the same spot on each wire every time.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-1262180-Adjusting-Insulation-Strippers/dp/B003B8WB5U

---------

I can't promise this will work with your crimping tool, It does work with mine. Put the terminal into the crimping tool without any wire, then do two clicks and release the terminal. It will create a heart shape hole on the terminal. Now place the wire inside the terminal & thread it through(Shouldn't have to force the wire through). Now place it back in the crimping tool and complete the crimp. Crimping tool should have locks to where to put the terminal.

Link: https://mod-one.com/mdpc-x-crimp-tool/

*Side Note* Make sure the crimping setting is at the lower possible setting.

*Side Note 2* I don't stretch my sleeving like some do. I make the size exact so it fits conformable over everything.

It took some practice for me to get the hang of it (Just like anyone else). I suggest watching Youtube videos (Specially from Lutros) and read up on sleeving at Overlock.net & Here, Plus on Google.

10 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

kr2HYI2.jpg

Uv0td4m

P78sAbX.jpg

UHKrMZb.jpg

OJ1UNwa.jpg

2Ah3zpN.jpg

-------------

^ Last one was done professionally by Mod-One.com(May be a bit blurry due to my Cell Phone).

----------

It looks like your stripping to much wire to start with (You only want 6mm or less). I do 6mm since it's the lowest setting possible for my tool. The wire casing should be going inside the terminal. I'm not a fan of the cut and pull type wire strippers. Since you need to hit the same spot on each wire every time.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-1262180-Adjusting-Insulation-Strippers/dp/B003B8WB5U

---------

I can't promise this will work with your crimping tool, It does work with mine. Put the terminal into the crimping tool without any wire, then do two clicks and release the terminal. It will create a heart shape hole on the terminal. Now place the wire inside the terminal & thread it through(Shouldn't have to force the wire through). Now place it back in the crimping tool and complete the crimp. Crimping tool should have locks to where to put the terminal.

Link: https://mod-one.com/mdpc-x-crimp-tool/

*Side Note* Make sure the crimping setting is at the lower possible setting.

*Side Note 2* I don't stretch my sleeving like some do. I make the size exact so it fits conformable over everything.

It took some practice for me to get the hang of it (Just like anyone else). I suggest watching Youtube videos (Specially from Lutros) and read up on sleeving at Overlock.net & Here, Plus on Google.

I use the same stripper at the lower setting. I have been using that strategy for the new batch. I have made them semi-tight. I'm not very strong and cannot stretch that much :)

53 minutes ago, InsertName said:

I use the same stripper at the lower setting. I have been using that strategy for the new batch. I have made them semi-tight. I'm not very strong and cannot stretch that much :)

You shouldn't be using any kind of hard force to stretch out the sleeving out. Two fingers with a gentle stretch force should be enough. I just make sure my sleeving covers both terminals that way no stretching is required.

If you keep watching my one Build Log, I will start my sleeving for it in about a week or two. As soon as Case-Labs ships my case, Which should be soon. I would have started sooner, I have no idea on the length from PSU to motherboard and such.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 7:20 AM, InsertName said:

Hi, I was going to buy some cablemod sleeved cables, and was wondering if it was worth it to sleeve my own? What are the pros and cons of each?

Hello @InsertName, we take all of the hassle and finger hurting out of the process for you for a reasonable price and offer a proper aesthetic, and customer service to match.
I only see pro's there! :)

6 hours ago, CableMod said:

Hello @InsertName, we take all of the hassle and finger hurting out of the process for you for a reasonable price and offer a proper aesthetic, and customer service to match.
I only see pro's there! :)

Unfortunately it I still too late, I have bought DIY supplies and regret it. I would buy your cables if I can do it again.

@Revan654 Halp me, male connector stuck in connector. I tugged a bit too hard and wire snapped off. I need to remove it, and I have no pin remover. I have tried staples.  @W-L