Pre-sleeved cables vs sleeving my own

InsertName
1 hour ago, InsertName said:

So, which colours should I order, and how much of each for sleevimg 50 25cm wires?

I think the other design you had was a good start it's mainly just what you think looks good. As for the length, then you have a total of 12.5m or 41.25 feet. I would order a little more just in case for mistakes when cutting and other little things if you choose to sleeve them. 

Questions-

Best wire stripper under 20

Should I use lighters or get a butane torch

Know any rulers with a groove that I can insert a wire in? I don't have any materials or a dremel to make my own.

Thanks @Revan654 @W-L

11 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I prefer combs if you only have one choice(The Closed kind).

Yeah, i got combs ( closed). I also got the wire stripper you recommended :D. MDPC sleeve has been ordered, I'll pick up some lighters tomorrow. Do you know any good rulers to measure wire or one of those measuring block things?

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Yeah, i got combs ( closed). I also got the wire stripper you recommended :D. MDPC sleeve has been ordered, I'll pick up some lighters tomorrow. Do you know any good rulers to measure wire or one of those measuring block things?

I just use a basic measuring tape. I would get a complete flat one, if you going to buy one.

Should add one small detail no wire to be 100% spot on, You may or may not get 1:1 ratio with the other wires.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

23 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I just use a basic measuring tape. I would get a complete flat one, if you going to buy one.

Should add one small detail no wire to be 100% spot on, You may or may not get 1:1 ratio with the other wires.

Ik :D. I am thinking of doing 26-24 rainbow cut.

2 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Another question- The wire stripper min length is quite large. Have you shortened them any way?

7 hours ago, InsertName said:

Fora measuring as mentioned ruler or tape masking tape and markings on the desk works well for me, As for stripping the wire and measurements I made small jigs with styrene and just use a knife to mark the wires to know where to strip back till. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

Fora measuring as mentioned ruler or tape masking tape and markings on the desk works well for me, As for stripping the wire and measurements I made small jigs with styrene and just use a knife to mark the wires to know where to strip back till. 

So just mark my desk?

8 hours ago, InsertName said:

So just mark my desk?

Well I used masking tape to write on to easily get the correct length each time when I cut the sleeve and wiring. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well I used masking tape to write on to easily get the correct length each time when I cut the sleeve and wiring. 

So just put some masking tape on my desk that is 26 and 24 cm long. Cut half half?

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

So just put some masking tape on my desk that is 26 and 24 cm long. Cut half half?

Yeah that or using a ruler, mine were quite long as they were full replacement cables. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah that or using a ruler, mine were quite long as they were full replacement cables. 

26 and 24 for raimbow cut extensions. Sound good?

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Also crimper arrived today. Looks good :).

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Any idea for crimper mods?

27 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Any idea for crimper mods?

Try doing a few test crimps and see how well the ends curl over and compress onto the PVC insulation and the wire. If you notice some irregularities or unevenness check the jaws, you can usually take a small round file and very carefully touch up the edges to make sure they are nice and sharp. 

36 minutes ago, W-L said:

Try doing a few test crimps and see how well the ends curl over and compress onto the PVC insulation and the wire. If you notice some irregularities or unevenness check the jaws, you can usually take a small round file and very carefully touch up the edges to make sure they are nice and sharp. 

Will do once everything else arrives.

6 hours ago, InsertName said:

Crimper arrived :D. I'm off to get a little butane torch :D.

You want a soft flame lighter, Not a torch. Torch burns at a much higher degree. I had a torch and it burned right through the heatshrink & sleeving in about 2 to 4 seconds flat.

These are what I use:

61OLaKLsM7L._AC_UL320_SR282,320_.jpg

They only cost about a dollar.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

6 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

You want a soft flame lighter, Not a torch. Torch burns at a much higher degree. I had a torch and it burned right through the heatshrink & sleeving in about 2 to 4 seconds flat.

These are what I use:

61OLaKLsM7L._AC_UL320_SR282,320_.jpg

They only cost about a dollar.

Ok

6 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Should also add, you want to use the blue part of the flame on the heatshrink.

Will just buy some kitchen lighters :D. Everything should be here on wed, wire strippers on thurs.