AMD FX-6300 on ASUS M5A78L-M with EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB Shutting Down When Gaming

ccs46
8 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Absolutely terrible. 

Did you read any reviews before you bought the power supply? some people say it dies (quite spectacularly sometimes) within a few months of light use.  

Well I was kinda working on a budget and I saw it on the shelf and my dad agreed so we bought it.

6 minutes ago, ccs46 said:

If it's brand new you could ask for a change in the shop. They may accept to change your PSU for anotherone like that EVGA 600W you posted. Price range won't vary much, but quality is day and night. 

39 minutes ago, faziten said:

If it's brand new you could ask for a change in the shop. They may accept to change your PSU for anotherone like that EVGA 600W you posted. Price range won't vary much, but quality is day and night. 

But if Anti-Surge is getting triggered, could that PSU be the cause of it?

4 minutes ago, ccs46 said:

But if Anti-Surge is getting triggered, could that PSU be the cause of it?

Antisurge are voltage related AFAIK, with a low quality PSU and a relatively high load for the unit you could end up in an over-current scenario and you will hear a "click" sound that means the over-current triggered and if you try to power on instantly it just wont. You have to give it a few seconds. 

It that protection does not kick in, the relatively excessive current for the unit may result in increased heat in the unit and voltage drop that could indeed end up with an anti-surge protection being triggered, a multimeter should give you eyes in this matter. Plug it to a molex and watch realtime the V12 rail. (software is not suitable for monitoring voltage, current or anything of the sort)

Just make sure your PSU is directly connected to the wall and no other electrical or electronic artifact is between the psu and the wall. Remove UPS, Stabilizers etc just to discard unnecessary variables. 

1 hour ago, ccs46 said:

No. EVGA makes some good power supplies, but that isn't one of them. Heck, its barely 80+ rated. Get something tier 3 or higher form here:

Corsair's CXM (Grey sticker) units are cheap and pretty decent.

And here's a good spot to leave a warning:

NEVER cheap out on a power supply! If a PSU dies, it has a good chance of taking the rest of your build with it, or you if it isn't grounded properly (which many ultra cheap ones aren't), or your whole house if you got one of the units that likes to burst into flames.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Alright gents! I've got good news. I went ahead and picked up that Corsair PSU that sazrocks mentioned and it fixed all my issues! It works great! I'm typing this from the computer that had issues.

Thanks for all your help!

-Chris