I need some help with FPS settings (Adobe Premiere Pro)

Enovi

Hello,

So I recently got into very basic video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and I was wondering if there was in any way possible to, I suppose, make 30 fps look very smooth. Like it is at a constant FPS of 60 without any frame drops or any FPS lagspikes during the video. I know it is possible, (scratch what I said before) but I don't really know what to look up for tutorials online like on YouTube or something like that and because the forums are very IT orientated I thought someone might have the answer.

I have a decently beefy computer, but I want to render and give my videos a very smooth gameplay or any other type of videos a better quality.

FOR EXAMPLE AS A SCENARIO: I just got Arma 3 for Christmas, because it is very CPU and GPU intensive, I can only personally get a stable 45 fps with a bit of frame drops, how can I make it very smooth so it looks like it is 60 fps constant? 

Aren't most youtube gaming videos 30fps.Like unless the creator speciffically wants to render at 60fps which takes a gosh darn long time.Most youtube gaming videos are 30fps

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Aren't most youtube gaming videos 30fps.Like unless the creator speciffically wants to render at 60fps which takes a gosh darn long time.Most youtube gaming videos are 30fps

I'm not sure, but I know I've seen really smooth videos out there and just thought it was due to the FPS settings, but didn't really know that YouTube capped it at 30fps.

No, you can upload 60fps video to YouTube.  It supports that frame rate.  But this is your problem, your game is running at 45fps.  You can try recording it with whatever screen/gameplay recording software you use, and record at 30fps or 60fps, it still doesn't change the fact that your game runs at 45fps.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

No, you can upload 60fps video to YouTube.  It supports that frame rate.  But this is your problem, your game is running at 45fps.  You can try recording it with whatever screen/gameplay recording software you use, and record at 30fps or 60fps, it still doesn't change the fact that your game runs at 45fps.

No I don't want it to run faster of a source, I just want it to act much smoother than it was on video.

Honestly it doesn't matter that much for views.Like lot at major youtubers such as Ssundee or jacksepticeye ssundee dosen't record in 720p60 and jacksepticeye has only recently adopted it

My life

15 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Honestly it doesn't matter that much for views.Like lot at major youtubers such as Ssundee or jacksepticeye ssundee dosen't record in 720p60 and jacksepticeye has only recently adopted it

touche

thanks for the help guys <3

It is possible with Optical Flow Time Remapping but I do not how how it reacts to variable frame rates.

1 hour ago, .spider. said:

It is possible with Optical Flow Time Remapping but I do not how how it reacts to variable frame rates.

Thanks for suggesting it, pal :)

4 hours ago, Enovi said:

Thanks for suggesting it, pal :)

Why don't you just record in a higher frame rate from the beginning.  Optical Flow will not help you much with game play recordings as most games have so many visual elements in the frame that are moving around a lot.  You'll get a lot of weird warping and artifacts.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Why don't you just record in a higher frame rate from the beginning.  

Because I do?

14 hours ago, Enovi said:

Because I do?

What is your recording frame rate?  30fps or 60fps?  I am not asking about your game play frame rate.

Add motionblur. Its hard to get a ~45fps clip act like a 60. But motion blur usally makes things look smoother imo

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

41 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Add motionblur. Its hard to get a ~45fps clip act like a 60. But motion blur usally makes things look smoother imo

Do gameplay recorders like Shadowplay or whatever people use record at the fps of the game or the fps that a person sets to record for the video?  Can gameplay recorders also have custom shutter speed/angle?

Because if the game recorder captures at the frame rate I set (24, 25, 30, 50, 60, whatever) and the game can be running at whatever fps the GPU handles due to the graphics settings, the video will be the frame rate set no matter the fps of the game.  The game could be running at 10fps because it requires so much GPU power that isn't there or can be running at 60fps (based on using a 60hz monitor with v-sync or something similar enabled) and the video play back speed will be independent.

The OP can try using a 144hz monitor (or whatever is out there), the game runs at 144fps or whatever and if he films at 1080p60 it will look smoother than if the game was running at 10fps and he was recording 1080p60.

As for adding motion blur, perhaps enable motion blur in the game instead of adding it to the video in Premiere.

@OP

Here's a video that demonstrates what Optical Flow can do and cannot do in Premiere.

So if this image below is the kind of game play you are recording in Arma 3, Optical Flow will have serious trouble.

arma3_e32013_screenshot_06.jpg

21 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Do gameplay recorders like Shadowplay or whatever people use record at the fps of the game or the fps that a person sets to record for the video?  Can gameplay recorders also have custom shutter speed/angle?

Because if the game recorder captures at the frame rate I set (24, 25, 30, 50, 60, whatever) and the game can be running at whatever fps the GPU handles due to the graphics settings, the video will be the frame rate set no matter the fps of the game.  The game could be running at 10fps because it requires so much GPU power that isn't there or can be running at 60fps (based on using a 60hz monitor with v-sync or something similar enabled) and the video play back speed will be independent.

The OP can try using a 144hz monitor (or whatever is out there), the game runs at 144fps or whatever and if he films at 1080p60 it will look smoother than if the game was running at 10fps and he was recording 1080p60.

As for adding motion blur, perhaps enable motion blur in the game instead of adding it to the video in Premiere.

@OP

Here's a video that demonstrates what Optical Flow can do and cannot do in Premiere.

So if this image below is the kind of game play you are recording in Arma 3, Optical Flow will have serious trouble.

arma3_e32013_screenshot_06.jpg

I doubt he will be able to use optical flow. 

For the recorders there are several ones and they differ quite a bit (shadowplay, dxtory, action, obs) . But in most you can set what resolution and what framerate. If I was OP I would drop the res to 720p and see if he can reach 60fps then. If not I would use 30fps and face that it will be slightly stuttery. 

I haven't played arma so I don't know how that works but there is some games as CSGO where you can record a "demo" which basically is a file that records everything that happens in the map during playing. Then you can render that file in the game to a videocontainer which yiu then can use while editing. Benefits if that is you can set whatever fps as it will just render it for as long it takes. You can have 300fps if you want. 

Now I don't know if that is possible in arma but I would look it up as then you can get as high quality video you want. 

But otherwise I think 30fps and a lot of motion blur is the best option 

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I doubt he will be able to use optical flow. 

For the recorders there are several ones and they differ quite a bit (shadowplay, dxtory, action, obs) . But in most you can set what resolution and what framerate. If I was OP I would drop the res to 720p and see if he can reach 60fps then. If not I would use 30fps and face that it will be slightly stuttery. 

Optical Flow will not help him at all.

OK I understand that those game recorders can be customized with custom frame rates and resolution, but my point is that their recording frame rate is independent of whatever FPS the game is running.

On 1/4/2017 at 1:13 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

What?

5 minutes ago, .spider. said:

What?

I was also confused at that part, however I appreciate all the information above and I will try what you guys have suggested.

Also, how will I even put a motion blur effect to the game itself?

1 hour ago, Enovi said:

I was also confused at that part, however I appreciate all the information above and I will try what you guys have suggested.

In the video settings of games there is usally a motion blur slider. Turn that one waay up. Otherwise I'm quite sure you could write an easy .cfg file for it. Just google it. 

13 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

In the video settings of games there is usally a motion blur slider. Turn that one waay up. Otherwise I'm quite sure you could write an easy .cfg file for it. Just google it. 

thanks for letting me know, pal.

2 hours ago, Enovi said:

That's because you don't work in video production.  OK to explain it better, let me use this as an example.

You have a video camera that's capable of recording 1080p60 (meaning 1920x1080 resolution at 60fps).  It's aimed at a TV to record whatever is being shown on the screen.  Say you are playing an animation on the TV that is animated at 10 frames per second.  Even if you record that animation using your 60fps camera, the animation itself is still 10fps.  Each frame of the animation takes up 6 frames on the camera's recording.  Just because you record with a 60fps camera doesn't mean your animation suddenly becomes 60fps.

But if you use the same video camera to film an animation being shown on the TV that is running at 120fps, it means for each frame that your camera records you are capturing 2 frames of that animation.

12 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

That's because you don't work in video production.  OK to explain it better, let me use this as an example.

You have a video camera that's capable of recording 1080p60 (meaning 1920x1080 resolution at 60fps).  It's aimed at a TV to record whatever is being shown on the screen.  Say you are playing an animation on the TV that is animated at 10 frames per second.  Even if you record that animation using your 60fps camera, the animation itself is still 10fps.  Each frame of the animation takes up 6 frames on the camera's recording.  Just because you record with a 60fps camera doesn't mean your animation suddenly becomes 60fps.

But if you use the same video camera to film an animation being shown on the TV that is running at 120fps, it means for each frame that your camera records you are capturing 2 frames of that animation.

What?

16 hours ago, Enovi said:

13 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

That's because you don't work in video production.

I'm not a filmmaker like you but even I understood what you meant.  I think certain people (one person in particular) are plain idiots. ;)

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

2 hours ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

I'm not a filmmaker like you but even I understood what you meant.  I think certain people (one person in particular) are plain idiots. ;)

Of course you do understand utter bullshit.

But probably because you don't have any knowledge in video production you don't know the difference between discreet and continuous time domain.

19 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Of course you do understand utter bullshit.

But probably because you don't have any knowledge in video production you don't know the difference between discreet and continuous time domain.

The one who is spouting bullshit is you.  What he basically said is filming something animated in 10fps motion with a higher fps camera doesn't make the 10fps motion appear any faster or smoother.  It still looks like the original's 10fps motion when watching it on the screen.  Unless you speed up the play back.  It has nothing to do with discrete and continuous time domains.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography