Best Cpu for dual 1080s?

Go to solution Solved by Energycore,
1 minute ago, XxRustyxX said:

Loving the opinions guys, btw @Energycore the 6800k is actually on a 5% discount on my local store (i live in mexico and promtions like this are very rare) so i dont mind paying a little extra for it.

I suppose if it's about the same price there's no reason not to get it. Go ahead.

Alright so im working on upgrading my whole pc, i started with the 1080 since thats one of the few parts i can stick on my current pc, but im looking to put 2 of them in the future and my current cpu is already bottlnecking the single 1080 a bit, so what cpu would be the best performance for both of them? my current budget is 500$ for a cpu, i can put a little extra if needed but i really dont know much about the cpu subject when it comes to sli stuff, any help would be appreciated. Also if some1 could tell me of a good motherboard to go with it that would be great, i was looking into the asus x99 rog strix but idk.

What monitor do you have?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5820k/6800k 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

What monitor do you have?

currently i have a very old 1080p monitor but next month im upgrading to an ultrawilde acer 34x 1440p one.

i would recommend at 6800k but you would have to change your motherboard and RAM considering the 6800k is on LGA2011-3 and the 3570k is on LGA 1155 bumping the price over your limit. I wwould say a least a 6700k.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Just now, XxRustyxX said:

currently i have a very old 1080p monitor but next month im upgrading to an ultrawilde acer 34x 1440p one.

I would get a 6700K. The higher cores ones don't give much in terms of games at high refresh, they're more for streaming and recording and shit.

Then overclock the snot out of it.

Also 2 1080s might be overkill for 3440x1440 100Hz, but I suppose they'll last for a bit.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I would get a 6700K. The higher cores ones don't give much in terms of games at high refresh, they're more for streaming and recording and shit.

Also 2 1080s might be overkill for 3440x1440 100Hz, but I suppose they'll last for a bit.

5 minutes ago, Festive said:

i would recommend at 6800k but you would have to change your motherboard and RAM considering the 6800k is on LGA2011-3 and the 3570k is on LGA 1155 bumping the price over your limit. I wwould say a least a 6700k.

thx for being specific fellas, from the two i think im going to go for the 6800k then, and dw the budget is for the cpu alone, i know i have to switch motherboard and ram, but im going in slow, so now that thats decided, what motherboard sounds good to go with it? is the x99 rog strix good?

thx for being specific fellas, from the two i think im going to go for the 6800k then, and dw the budget is for the cpu alone, i know i have to switch motherboard and ram, but im going in slow, so now that thats decided, what motherboard sounds good to go with it? is the x99 rog strix good?

I would get a 5820K, same performance, cheaper. Overclock it. Use the rest of the budget for an AIO.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I can provide sources (and anecdotes) that consistently indicate that with similar-ish single core performance the extra 2 cores make an absolutely gigantic difference in some games [by spreading SLI overhead over more threads and thus allowing the DX11 core 0 more drawcall space (also applicable to those DX12 games currently out with SLI support, but not as big of a deal)].

In particular, the minimum FPS/framepacing of SLI is dramatically improved.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I can provide sources (and anecdotes) that consistently indicate that with similar-ish single core performance the extra 2 cores make an absolutely gigantic difference in some games [by spreading SLI overhead over more threads and thus allowing the DX11 core 0 more drawcall space (also applicable to those DX12 games currently out with SLI support, but not as big of a deal).

Interesting. I'd love to read up. Also more PCI-E lanes so you can actually have some other AIC while running x8/x8

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Loving the opinions guys, btw @Energycore the 6800k is actually on a 5% discount on my local store (i live in mexico and promtions like this are very rare) so i dont mind paying a little extra for it.

I suppose if it's about the same price there's no reason not to get it. Go ahead.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Interesting. I'd love to read up. Also more PCI-E lanes so you can actually have some other AIC while running x8/x8

That isn't a huge deal imho (nvme m.2 ssd's mean less than nothing atm), but yea. Here is a brutal head to head comparison at 4k ultra with highly graphically intensive games.

There is also a DF set of videos noting that they found better performance with Fury X CF with the 5960x with a light OC (I think they did 4200) than their faster quad core.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

There is also a DF set of videos noting that they found better performance with Fury X CF with the 5960x with a light OC (I think they did 4200) than their faster quad core.

Wow it never occurred to me, but Fury Xs are great for Quad Crossfire because they just don't become starved for cooling. Assuming you can fit all those radiators somewhere.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Wow it never occurred to me, but Fury Xs are great for Quad Crossfire because they just don't become starved for cooling. Assuming you can fit all those radiators somewhere.

Minus the horrors of quad CF anyways... You know, worse peak performance in many games over trip CF, absolutely abhorrent pacing. But yea.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

(m.2 ssd's mean less than nothing atm)

You may not see much in M.2, but I see a way to standardize storage solutions that don't require cables. Less cables = neater designs on computers.

As for NVMe, I can see why it's not big on the market yet, it's a bit of a workstation only technology.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Minus the horrors of quad CF anyways... You know, worse peak performance in many games over trip CF, absolutely abhorrent pacing. But yea.

I suppose less about 4 Fury Xs in games and more about 4 of them for Folding@Home or similar :P

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

goddamit i wished there was an option to put 2 best answers xD so @Festive and @energycore consider both of you best answers :P ty.

6700k -- > Best single core performance of them all :) best for games.

You may not see much in M.2, but I see a way to standardize storage solutions that don't require cables. Less cables = neater designs on computers.

As for NVMe, I can see why it's not big on the market yet, it's a bit of a workstation only technology.

Yea I meant pcie ssds... It just isn't worthwhile for ANYTHING a consumer is ever going to do (it doesn't load games faster, boot os faster, copy files non-locally faster, etc etc).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

6700k -- > Best single core performance of them all :) best for games.

See conversations above, but it is NOT the best for Dual GPU gaming. End of story.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

See conversations above, but it is NOT the best for Dual GPU gaming. End of story.

my bad

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

my bad

Ehh, SLI is rare enough that most people just don't hear about the difference (esp since the problem only gets more dramatic with stronger gpus, which further reduces the selection pool). There once was a very long and through post about dual flagship gpu and how that makes a difference, but I'm not sure exactly where it went now.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS