Serverboard or Motherboard

I am currently deciding whether or not to replace my current gaming pc with a server board built for gaming. I currently am running an A10-6800k 8GB-1866MHz and a GTX 1060 on an asrock FM2a88x-itx+ motherboard. My concern is that my cpu and every other cpu this board supports have no more than 2 cores with 2 logical cores per physical. While it performs well (extremely well for its class) in just about any game i want more power :3 so after seeing linus make an 8 core gaming pc made from old server parts I thought that may be a clever and cheaper alternative to a newer intel/amd ryzen (when released) board. My question is should i wait for ryzen, go intel, or build from recently obsolete server parts? I found a xeon x5690 for $165 and a board (x8dti rev 2 dual socket 1366) for $99. It can take both ddr3 ecc and non ecc. But Is the performance here worth it? I already have ddr3 ram so that takes from the overall cost but im concerned as to whether its the best choice for my money. The total cost of the server parts id have to buy is around 364, I already have an e-atx case and a psu that can power it so im heavily leaning towards this choice but if anyone can add their opinions or other idea that would help greatly. 

P.S. The xeon and a10 have similar single core performance but the xeons multicore is obviously much better. So single core and multicore performance are my main concerns here.