ivy bridge scrapyard build, HIGH density DDR3?

Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,
22 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

ddr3 ram should work from sandy- haswell as long as your motherboard supports it. i5 3 series should. If anything it might get down clocked. Check your motherboard support and bios updates though. I am running the same dd3 RAM from my sandy in my haswell

16 minutes ago, PaulTheAverage said:

The motherboard - RAM support is really lacking in this case tbh. The specs like voltage, timings, frequency etc. are all supported, I´m more curious about the high/low density support as there is no information about it anywhere and I know it caused problems on the 1st gen core i series.

High density modules use less chips and are out of JEDEC certification. When RAM does not have Intel XMP info chips or AMD info chips, it falls back to JEDEC info from the chips. These DIMMs lack XMP or JEDEC (due to not being within their standards), and will not work on Intel chipsets. Due to this, they are very cheap.

Best to stick with a low-density module. Scour auction sites for people offloading 2x4 kits, as people upgrade to 16 on ITX and MicroATX boards commonly. 

So, after a while of not finding anything reasonable on the internet, I would like to ask you, the ltt community for help. I´m finally going to build myself a new pc after a long time of just building for  others. The problem I have run into is RAM. I´m going to build on asus P8B75m/csm mobo w/ i5-3470 cpu. I don´t have much money so I was hunting for deals on eBay and I came across THIS set of RAM. I once built an intel i7 system (I think it was 1st gen i7) for my friend and used high density memory in that build and there were so many issues with it I had to switch it out for another (ld) kit. So, does anyone know if this problem was only for the 1st gen and was fixed later, or if sandy/ivy bridge still don´t support high density DDR3?

ddr3 ram should work from sandy- haswell as long as your motherboard supports it. i5 3 series should. If anything it might get down clocked. Check your motherboard support and bios updates though. I am running the same dd3 RAM from my sandy in my haswell

The motherboard - RAM support is really lacking in this case tbh. The specs like voltage, timings, frequency etc. are all supported, I´m more curious about the high/low density support as there is no information about it anywhere and I know it caused problems on the 1st gen core i series.

22 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

16 minutes ago, PaulTheAverage said:

High density modules use less chips and are out of JEDEC certification. When RAM does not have Intel XMP info chips or AMD info chips, it falls back to JEDEC info from the chips. These DIMMs lack XMP or JEDEC (due to not being within their standards), and will not work on Intel chipsets. Due to this, they are very cheap.

Best to stick with a low-density module. Scour auction sites for people offloading 2x4 kits, as people upgrade to 16 on ITX and MicroATX boards commonly. 

idk