Chipset heatsink loose

So while figuring out some cable amagent in my case as I was building I went to go unplug something but it would budge so I pulled a bit harder and my hand slipped and hit the cbipset heatsink on my motherboard.

The heatsink now wiggles if I push down on it,it goes down then comes back up a bit and can wiggle side to side a little,will this be a problem because I can't return it,after 30 days of purchase

35 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

So while figuring out some cable amagent in my case as I was building I went to go unplug something but it would budge so I pulled a bit harder and my hand slipped and hit the cbipset heatsink on my motherboard.

The heatsink now wiggles if I push down on it,it goes down then comes back up a bit and can wiggle side to side a little,will this be a problem because I can't return it,after 30 days of purchase

as long as its working then dont mess with it anymore

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

as long as its working then dont mess with it anymore

I'm getting errors saying it isn't detected 

1 minute ago, Dogsparky said:

I'm getting errors saying it isn't detected 

what isnt detected, also show picutre of said error

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

It just has a blue screen saying "chipset heatsink not detected" then shuts down no other words or anything just that 

1 hour ago, Dogsparky said:

It just has a blue screen saying "chipset heatsink not detected" then shuts down no other words or anything just that 

Take he heat sink off and out it back on with new thermal compound(cpu thermal paste will do)

3 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Take he heat sink off and out it back on with new thermal compound(cpu thermal paste will do)

I'm seeing though that you have to use thermal pads or thermal adhesive not regular thermal paste which is why I'm confused which one do I use 

1 minute ago, Dogsparky said:

I'm seeing though that you have to use thermal pads or thermal adhesive not regular thermal paste which is why I'm confused which one do I use 

when you remove it see what is inbetween the heatsink and chip

6 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

when you remove it see what is inbetween the heatsink and chip

I need to know before I remove it though so it doesn't sit there for a week because I have seen other people say there are thermal pads between the heatsink and the chipset and thermal adhesive to keep it there and some say to use paste and just about to throw the motherboard in the garbage right now 

3 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

I need to know before I remove it though so it doesn't sit there for a week because I have seen other people say there are thermal pads between the heatsink and the chipset and thermal adhesive to keep it there and some say to use paste and just about to throw the motherboard in the garbage right now 

it clearly differs from motherboard to motherboard, regardless most of the time its paste can, what motherboard is it?

39 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

it clearly differs from motherboard to motherboard, regardless most of the time its paste can, what motherboard is it?

MSI z170a gaming m5

42 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

But can thermal paste (not adhesive) actually keep it stuck on there I mean it isn't a glue type substance though it can be a but sticky but isn't adhesive the way to go or would it. Not jeep the chip set cool?

17 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

But can thermal paste (not adhesive) actually keep it stuck on there I mean it isn't a glue type substance though it can be a but sticky but isn't adhesive the way to go or would it. Not jeep the chip set cool?

idk, its usually held on my screws, why dont you remove the motherboard and have a look at the back of it?

21 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

idk, its usually held on my screws, why dont you remove the motherboard and have a look at the back of it?

It is held on by  four screws like this socmayve that is why it can move is because it isn't heldnon my everything just where the chip is?

Screenshot_2017-01-02-04-28-13.png

It is held on by  four screws like this socmayve that is why it can move is because it isn't heldnon my everything just where the chip is?

Screenshot_2017-01-02-04-28-13.png

check for your specific motherboard by looking at it

7 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

check for your specific motherboard by looking at it

I've looked I can't find any of it off but the screws are in the same pattern and about the sane width apart so the test if the heatsibj is probably just aesthetics 

I've looked I can't find any of it off but the screws are in the same pattern and about the sane width apart so the test if the heatsibj is probably just aesthetics 

i assume your mobo is in your pc?

if so

remove the motherboard

look how the heat sink is attached

if screwed,

then un screw the screws,

clean

replace thermal paste

rescrew the heat sink

see if its fixed 

5 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i assume your mobo is in your pc?

if so

remove the motherboard

look how the heat sink is attached

if screwed,

then un screw the screws,

clean

replace thermal paste

rescrew the heat sink

see if its fixed 

There is no thermal paste just this little pad like thing not a thermal pad it is sort of like clay but it DOES NOT feel like thermal paste, and yes I have looked at how the heatsink is attached I just said it looks like it is about the same width I wouldn't know that without looking at my motherboard there are only four screws but it doesn't cover the entire heatsink onlynthe middle and top of the heatsink the bottom isn't screwed in because no screw holes

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

There is no thermal paste just this little pad like thing not a thermal pad it is sort of like clay but it DOES NOT feel like thermal paste, and yes I have looked at how the heatsink is attached I just said it looks like it is about the same width I wouldn't know that without looking at my motherboard there are only four screws but it doesn't cover the entire heatsink onlynthe middle and top of the heatsink the bottom isn't screwed in because no screw holes

hmmm, re attached and dont remove the pad thing and see if its working

31 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Yes, there are four screws near the middle -- and those four screws should hold it in place.

You don't need any near the bottom; the four mounting points should keep the structure and position of the heatsink in place.

Spoiler

13-130-873-04.jpg

From the looks of it, the heatsinks use thermal pads.

Given by how the chipset heatsink is mounted, and HOW is makes contact, thermal paste should also work as a replacement / substitute; just make sure you don't put too much -- the chipset and heatsink is much smaller compared to a CPU.

The M5 and M7 uses an identical heatsink for the Z170 chipset.

http://forum.digit.in/reviews/195009-msi-z170a-gaming-m7-motherboard-review.html

Spoiler

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

BEFORE you start replacing anything, go to the back of the motherboard, and see if tightening the four screes by 1/4 or 1/2 a turn helps first.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Yes, there are four screws near the middle -- and those four screws should hold it in place.

You don't need any near the bottom; the four mounting points should keep the structure and position of the heatsink in place.

Reveal hidden contents

13-130-873-04.jpg

From the looks of it, the heatsinks use thermal pads.

The M5 and M7 uses an identical heatsink for the Z170 chipset.

http://forum.digit.in/reviews/195009-msi-z170a-gaming-m7-motherboard-review.html

Reveal hidden contents

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

BEFORE you start replacing anything, go to the back of the motherboard, and see if tightening the four screes by 1/4 or 1/2 a turn helps first.

Those don't like thermal no pads it looks like a weird hardened version of thermalnpaste bit how it is layered it should be getting in the stuff aroudn the chip but it looks alright to me because it is onlynthat one spot that is being held not the other parts so the part that is being held and tight is the chip, which is the important part so I am alright then?

36 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hmmm, re attached and dont remove the pad thing and see if its working

The pad looks like this but it isn't a thermal pad they look different and thermal past when dried would be different too and if it was thermal paste it would have gotten around the center if the chip as well because of what the thermal paste is,it is gooey 

20170102_035411.jpg

23 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Those don't like thermal no pads it looks like a weird hardened version of thermalnpaste bit how it is layered it should be getting in the stuff aroudn the chip but it looks alright to me because it is onlynthat one spot that is being held not the other parts so the part that is being held and tight is the chip, which is the important part so I am alright then?

18 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

The pad looks like this but it isn't a thermal pad they look different and thermal past when dried would be different too and if it was thermal paste it would have gotten around the center if the chip as well because of what the thermal paste is,it is gooey 

If the material is like what you showed in the picture, then it is thermal adhesive that MSi is using for your motherboard.

It looks like you have already remove the chipset heatsink, so my suggestion of tightening the screws on the back is out the window.

Seeing how there is very little gap between the surface of the chip and the heatsink, you should be okay to use either thermal pad, thermal adhesive, or thermal paste.

As long as the heatsink makes contact with the Z170 chipset itself, you should be fine.

You knocking the heatsink loose caused the thermal adhesive to go out of place, as a result, no longer making proper contact with the heatsink.

This is also why people typically recommend the thermal paste to be cleaned off and re-applied when a CPU heatsink is removed -- the contact surface has been disturbed.

• Clean off the old thermal adhesive (or dried thermal paste?)
  • Apply a new amount (thermal pad/paste/adhesive)
  • Re-mount the heatsink, and carefully tighten the four screws back down
    • You DO NOT need crushing force, otherwise you can damage the chipset
    • Snug is all you need

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

30 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

If the material is like what you showed in the picture, then it is thermal adhesive that MSi is using for your motherboard.

It looks like you have already remove the chipset heatsink, so my suggestion of tightening the screws on the back is out the window.

Seeing how there is very little gap between the surface of the chip and the heatsink, you should be okay to use either thermal pad, thermal adhesive, or thermal paste.

As long as the heatsink makes contact with the Z170 chipset itself, you should be fine.

You knocking the heatsink loose caused the thermal adhesive to go out of place, as a result, no longer making proper contact with the heatsink.

This is also why people typically recommend the thermal paste to be cleaned off and re-applied when a CPU heatsink is removed -- the contact surface has been disturbed.

• Snug is all you need

So if the bottom the chupset heatsink still moves is that alright but the middle top area doesn't ? Because there is nothing securing the bottome

31 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

• Snug is all you need

And gownisbit like a perfect square and if it is adhesive or paste how cone it isn't getting in the chip around it when it is bigger than the cent chip you are trying to cool when it spans the entire chip,it is a little weird how I do that without getting it anywhere it should be