ISP Providing TV Channels over copper line

Sachith
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
3 hours ago, Sachith said:

Hi guys,

I want to know the technology behind this and the ISP has provided me with a digital box for the TV solution. I also want to know whether I can watch those TV Channels using my PC.

When you say copper line, what do you mean? Coaxial? DSL/Telephony? Ethernet?

Anyway, most likely they're using what's called IPTV. If it's over a Coaxial Connection, then if the provider supports the use of CableCard's, then yes, you could purchase a CableCard reader for your PC, which provides decryption keys to watch the channels on a tuner.

If the connection on the box is over Ethernet, then there's likely no consumer equipment that will allow directly decoding the signal via your computer.

Hi guys,

I want to know the technology behind this and the ISP has provided me with a digital box for the TV solution. I also want to know whether I can watch those TV Channels using my PC.

If you have the box already, plug the output into your monitor and it'll be the same as watching tv. You'll just have to switch between the cable box and PC on your monitor. 

6 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

If you have the box already, plug the output into your monitor and it'll be the same as watching tv. You'll just have to switch between the cable box and PC on your monitor. 

Yes. But is there a way to watch the channels without the box only using my pc?

5 minutes ago, Sachith said:

Yes. But is there a way to watch the channels without the box only using my pc?

Depends on your ISP. Most won't let you. If they do, you'll need additional hardware. If they let you use a cablecard, you'll need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ceton-InfiniTV-PCIe-4-channel-CableCARD/dp/B003B4VLJQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483206498&sr=8-2&keywords=Ceton+Corp.

If their channels aren't encrypted, then you can use a Hauppauge TV Tuner card to watch TV. 

Most ISPs are encrypted and won't let you watch on PC directly. 

3 hours ago, Sachith said:

Hi guys,

When you say copper line, what do you mean? Coaxial? DSL/Telephony? Ethernet?

Anyway, most likely they're using what's called IPTV. If it's over a Coaxial Connection, then if the provider supports the use of CableCard's, then yes, you could purchase a CableCard reader for your PC, which provides decryption keys to watch the channels on a tuner.

If the connection on the box is over Ethernet, then there's likely no consumer equipment that will allow directly decoding the signal via your computer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)