Why do people not give used 4th gen CPUs enough credit when the performance to a new 6th gen isnt that much, plus the price aspect of both cpu's.

I mean a i7 6th is like $400cdn (non K) from newegg and yet you can pick up a i7 4th gen for half that, and the performance is so close.

3 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

you can pick up a i7 4th gen for half that

You can? Haven't seen any CPU deals nearly that good.

For the most part I'd agree but there are long term benefits for this generation specifically I suppose. For example 6th gen processors need DDR4 memory, as will any new processors released. This means investing in a newer platform reduces overall cost in the long run due to having to buy only one set of memory.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Can you really? I thought they were pretty similar?

Although 4th gen motherboards are probably more expensive now

Yes you make a valid point there with the mobo.

I just checked on ebay for i7-4770 cpu's and they are $200cdn, while you can find a complete system from Dell or Lenovo finding a score for $250 or $300.

Upgrade pathways and what you already got play a factor. But strictly speaking CPU price, 4th gen is good in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I mean a i7 6th is like $400cdn (non K) from newegg and yet you can pick up a i7 4th gen for half that, and the performance is so close.

where can you find a new 4th gen i7 for half the price of a 6th gen i7? used doesn't count.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

In both the US and Canada, a 6700/k is cheaper than a 4790/k. Unless of course you're talking about a used 4790/k, in which case, a lot of people don't like used. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You still get a feature improvement with newer tear cpus and other improvements but that may be shops not knowing the difference between cpus to a certain degree. Just used cpus are second hand and due to their lower length of available life they are not worth as much.

Edited by Faster_Speeding

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Just now, Jack the Stripper said:

Yes you make a valid point there with the mobo.

I just checked on ebay for i7-4770 cpu's and they are $200cdn, while you can find a complete system from Dell or Lenovo finding a score for $250 or $300.

not everyone is willing to buy used.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yes I am talking used guys, sorry about that.

I just feel dejected that I didnt buy this one deal on ebay, Lenovo SFF i7-4770 500GB wiped 4GB the last time I saw the ad there was 40 minutes left and it was at $200. But who knows it could have sold much higher in the last minutes. I am pissed I didnt click on Watch it. Oh well so be it.

Spoiler

Yes I am talking used guys, sorry about that.

Well to expect the current generation CPU's to be cheaper used is kinda stupid... They're the best currently available, why would they be on ebay :P

I buy most stuff used but lots of people aren't comfortable buying used. For a lot of people the premium they pay for new stuff is worth the warranty and that kind of stuff.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

I should have worded the title better, by discount I meant not give it enough credit.

Why do people not give 4th gen CPU's enough credit when the performance to a 6th gen isnt that much, plus the price aspect

I will change the title, see if it fits.

8 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I should have worded the title better, by discount I meant not give it enough credit.

Why do people not give 4th gen CPU's enough credit when the performance to a 6th gen isnt that much, plus the price aspect

I will change the title, see if it fits.

Because 6>4

jk, i am using i5 4460

I have bought 4 CPUs used on eBay, and have never been let down. I agree, buy used if half the price of a 5% better new piece.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I found a 4790K for 270 BNIB...so yeah...and not everybody lives near a Microcenter. 

Upgrading to Haswell makes sense if you still want to keep your DDR3 RAM.

An i7 6700 is around $315 usually , $294. 99 currently on Newegg with sale.  I know Canada's PM is more focused on appealing to Tumblrs with bad hair instead of fixing the economy, but the CAD can't be THAT bad. 

You should specify used in your title.

Hurrah u did.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I did, at the end of the title.

Yep, saw it after i refreshed the page

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yep, saw it after i refreshed the page

I changed the title again to a more better worded title.