Rx 480 or the GTX 1070

Frode

So i posted a day back, a question about what you would think about a upcoming pc project off mine. Thoughts have thoe started too pop in to my head, that i would go with the Red team, The RX 480. You might wonder, why choose a 480 over a 1070. Well i found a really good deal on a Aoc monitor with a 144hz monitor. In sweden right now, the GTX 1070 equals around what the XFX RS RX 480 ( Not the GTR version but just a couple mhz diffrence ) and the monitor would cost. So i would like an input on what you guys would think about this move? I also think off later with amd crossfire, would be a benefit. Best Regards.

Wait for vega, so you can get a CPU that's as fast as a 1070, plus the AOC monitor with freesync.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Well, it really depends on your budget...i would go for the rx 480 and an 144Hz monitor instead of a 1070 and a 60hz monitor

Just now, AniJan said:

What's your current monitor? Do you have one?

Its a crap monitor, from philips, 1650x1050 60hz

3 minutes ago, Frode said:

Its a crap monitor, from philips, 1650x1050 60hz

Ooh.

Then I suggest getting the RX 480 deal. You really need a new monitor.

In comparison, the 1070 is obviously better, but the RX 480 is still hella beast. 

Getting a RX 480 and a AOC 144Hz at the same price of a 1070 is a really good offer.

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Wait for vega, so you can get a CPU that's as fast as a 1070, plus the AOC monitor with freesync.

In Sweden forward to the new years eve, there is something called "MellanDagsrea" Where companies want to ghet rid of there products for 2017. So a lot off products are coming down in prices, so i dont really wanna wait for vega, since the prices for many off the products are low right now. Thats why i wanted to maybe go with AMD since a crossfire confiq is much wider to add a another card in the polaris architechture, While Nvidia would lock me down with only 1070 sli

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

Ooh.

Then I suggest getting the RX 480 deal. You really need a new monitor.

In comparison, the 1070 is obviously better, but the RX 480 is still hella beast. 

Thats one off the benefits i would see with a crossfire confiq since you could get more fps, and shit, and beat the GTX 1070.

1 minute ago, Frode said:

In Sweden forward to the new years eve, there is something called "MellanDagsrea" Where companies want to ghet rid of there products for 2017. So a lot off products are coming down in prices, so i dont really wanna wait for vega, since the prices for many off the products are low right now. Thats why i wanted to maybe go with AMD since a crossfire confiq is much wider to add a another card in the polaris architechture, While Nvidia would lock me down with only 1070 sli

If it's between good monitor and 480, or no monitor and 1070, get the 480 and monitor

If you can get the 144Hz monitor and a 1070, get that

A good in the middle option is looking for a cheap R9 Fury (20% faster than 480) or Fury X (15% below GTX 1070, 30% over 480), and get the monitor with that.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If it's between good monitor and 480, or no monitor and 1070, get the 480 and monitor

If you can get the 144Hz monitor and a 1070, get that

A good in the middle option is looking for a cheap R9 Fury (20% faster than 480) or Fury X (15% below GTX 1070, 30% over 480), and get the monitor with that.

Thats true indded that i could look for the, R9 fury or the fury X, But there is a problem that these cards have almost already been blown out of stores, and left are the most expensive ones. The cheapest was a Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Nitro which is sitting at 3490 kr which is 378,50 dollars, right now.

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

How about a Sapphire Nitro RX 480?

I will check that, But the Xfx has the removable fan function which i find quite interesting.

57 minutes ago, Frode said:

I will check that, But the Xfx has the removable fan function which i find quite interesting.

Sapphire has the same thing, but the XFX card is still around better because it has a bigger heatsink.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

57 minutes ago, Frode said:

Thats true indded that i could look for the, R9 fury or the fury X, But there is a problem that these cards have almost already been blown out of stores, and left are the most expensive ones. The cheapest was a Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Nitro which is sitting at 3490 kr which is 378,50 dollars, right now.

Could look for a used one too :)

Otherwise 1070 and 144Hz monitor (it doesn't matter if it has freesync, screen tears are harder to notice at higher refresh rates)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Could look for a used one too :)

Otherwise 1070 and 144Hz monitor (it doesn't matter if it has freesync, screen tears are harder to notice at higher refresh rates)

Is freesync better than G-Sync? Just asking because i have newer used it.

1 minute ago, Frode said:

Is freesync better than G-Sync? Just asking because i have newer used it.

They do the same thing, but Gsync adds a $200 ish cost to the monitor and Freesync adds nothing or close to nothing. That makes Freesync strictly better in context, but as of today they have the same usage and features (that might change)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They do the same thing, but Gsync adds a $200 ish cost to the monitor and Freesync adds nothing or close to nothing. That makes Freesync strictly better in context, but as of today they have the same usage and features (that might change)

Then i think that i will go with RX 480, and get a new monitor, and in the future maybe add a second video card in the polaris family, that they will come out with later on, with the rumored RX 490 and so on.