GTX 970 terrible FPS in CS:GO

Thunder_Ruler0

Okay so I have been having a problem recently, and I cant seem to find a solution to it. I've been playing CS:GO for the past few months, and have never had a single problem with it.

I've been getting some SERIOUS FPS drops recently and some stuttering as well. I'd say around a week or two ago I started having this issue. Before it would run around in the 200ish FPS zone and never really drop below 150. However now, with all the settings turned down to minimum, the most I can get is around 60, that includes stuttering in certain spots and horrible FPS drops when looking out in places with more detail. To the point I get around 30-40. There is legit no reason for this to be happening. Even with my GTX 570 I have never had this issue. Here's my current specs. 

AMD FX 8350 Vishera (never overclocked)

reference GTX 970 4gb Vram (never overclocked)

16GB of DDR3 Ram

2x1TB HDD's with plenty of space and a 3TB HDD for backups. 

Everything runs cool, so there is no overheating at all, CPU runs a nice 60c at most, and GPU under full load around 70-80c. 

I have a similar issue with Gmod as well where it only uses 10% of the GPU and clocks a crappy 40FPS. What might be going on??? All drivers are up to date, and there should be no bottle-necking at all coming from the system. Especially since with the 970 not too long ago it was working just fine. If it makes any difference, I have my 570 hooked up for dedicated PhysX and modeling in Blender. 

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the GPU, any suggestions?

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

Start with running diagnostic software whilst you play (MSI Afterburner for example). Look for temperatures and clockspeeds. Also, the 8350 bottlenecks the 970 in CPU-dependent games. But CS:GO and GMOD should give you no issues in terms of absolute framerates. Only games like GTA 5 or Watch_dogs 2.

EDIT: which motherboard do you have, and which CPU cooler is mounted.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Start with running diagnostic software whilst you play. Look for temperatures and clockspeeds. Also, the 8350 bottlenecks the 970 in CPU-dependent games. But CS:GO and GMOD should give you no issues. Only games like GTA 5 or Watch_dogs 2.

Please re-read. Everything is running at cool temps. Also, in MSI afterburner, it tells me that only 17% of my GPU is being used. If that helps. 

3 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

Please re-read. Everything is running at cool temps. 

Please elaborate more. What 'cool temps' are we talking about. Try running a benchmark like Cinebench R15 to verify if the CPU is running at the specified speeds.

If the CPU is only getting 25-30 degrees, it could indicate it's throttling at the board level.

EDIT: I noticed the line just now. Still do the test though.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Please elaborate more. What 'cool temps' are we talking about. Try running a benchmark like Cinebench R15 to verify if the CPU is running at the specified speeds.

If the CPU is only getting 25-30 degrees, it could indicate it's throttling at the board level.

Once again Please re-read..... 

Just now, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

Once again Please re-read..... 

Same goes for you, you only read what you want to. Not my issue you wrote a very emotional and subjective rant of a post. Not going to read through all of it, and neither is 80% of this forum's users.

Run benchmarks like Cinebench R15 to verify the CPU, Valley to verify the GPU.

Have you checked CPU usage while gaming?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Have you checked CPU usage while gaming?

Yup, CPU usage is around the 50% range, goes up in the 60% when there is a lot on the screen. GPU, usage stays around 10-20% though seems to stay just around 15% for whatever reason. I don't have this issue with other games. 

22 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Same goes for you, you only read what you want to. Not my issue you wrote a very emotional and subjective rant of a post. Not going to read through all of it, and neither is 80% of this forum's users.

Run benchmarks like Cinebench R15 to verify the CPU, Valley to verify the GPU.

OpenGL: 75.95  CPU:556 

Edit: My mobo is along the lines of a Asus "MA922" something along the lines of that

You have this problem only when all of the settings are on the minimum or it also happens with better settings?

1 minute ago, Murilo_A said:

You have this problem only when all of the settings are on the minimum or it also happens with better settings?

I have this issue with every graphical setting. Minimum, maximum, muticore rendering off/on ETC

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

CS:GO's a fucking trainwreck of optimization. I can say the same but worse for TF2. You're probably gonna have to put up with it until Valve does something about it.

Probably right, though I heard that it's because of certain systems. As in the combinations of Mobos, GPU's, CPU's etc. Some people seem to have the same issue with Intel cpu's as well like the Intel i5 6600k from one post I had read from. Only when he replaced the CPU with a i7 and got fixed. 

2 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

Have you tried reinstalling the games?

Yes, twice already. 

1 minute ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

Probably right, though I heard that it's because of certain systems. As in the combinations of Mobos, GPU's, CPU's etc. Some people seem to have the same issue with Intel cpu's as well like the Intel i5 6600k from one post I had read from. Only when he replaced the CPU with a i& did it get fixed. 

Yes, twice already. 

FX CPUs don't have the best of luck in CSGO, but 150+ FPS was perfectly in line with what you should be getting, not ~60.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

FX CPUs don't have the best of luck in CSGO, but 150+ FPS was perfectly in line with what you should be getting, not ~60.

I think it may just be the game because previously when I was still new to the game I wasn't having this issue. Though Its bugging me abit. Possibly switching to Intel will give me more luck? or possibly getting Zen when it comes out? :dry:

3 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

I think it may just be the game because previously when I was still new to the game I wasn't having this issue. Though Its bugging me abit. Possibly switching to Intel will give me more luck? or possibly getting Zen when it comes out? :dry:

As I said, it's just Valve sucking ass at optimization. It's like this on my brother's i7-2600/R9 390 machine too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As I said, it's just Valve sucking ass at optimization. It's like this on my brother's i7-2600/R9 390 machine too.

Well, luck be with me and my patience then. In the meantime i'll play golden on the the N64