Internet speeds not as what they should be

IoWii

Hello Everyone!

Few weeks ago i got a very good deal on a better internet connection. It should be 80Mbps down and 5Mbps up, and im only getting 65 down on my PC, upload is 5, where it should be (atleast on my PC which is 4 meters away from the router, using Wi-Fi for now). Dad's laptop which is 2 stories below me gets 30Mbps down at max and 1Mbps. PS4 2 stories below gets 10Mbps down at max and 1Mbps up. I also get huge ping spikes while playing games, up to where my whole game freezes and I have to wait a few seconds. I called my provider, they said everything is in perfect condition on the line to the modem. So I guess the problem is after the modem so the router? I have a TP-LINK wr1043nd which should be able to handle these speeds. I also upgraded the firmware but it didnt help. Any ideas? 
thanks!

can you do a speed test using am ethernet cable?
also, I assume you are on wireless N? signal quality decreases rapidly if you have obstacles(concrete walls for instance) or several devices using the same frequency( microwave oven, cordless phone, etc) .

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

You need to test it using an ethernet cable. Any modern cable can handle those speeds.

If you're still not getting those speeds with a wired connection, then it's most likely on their end. Have a technician come out and physically inspect everything.

On 26/12/2016 at 9:06 PM, IoWii said:

Hello Everyone!

Few weeks ago i got a very good deal on a better internet connection. It should be 80Mbps down and 5Mbps up, and im only getting 65 down on my PC, upload is 5, where it should be (atleast on my PC which is 4 meters away from the router, using Wi-Fi for now). Dad's laptop which is 2 stories below me gets 30Mbps down at max and 1Mbps. PS4 2 stories below gets 10Mbps down at max and 1Mbps up. I also get huge ping spikes while playing games, up to where my whole game freezes and I have to wait a few seconds. I called my provider, they said everything is in perfect condition on the line to the modem. So I guess the problem is after the modem so the router? I have a TP-LINK wr1043nd which should be able to handle these speeds. I also upgraded the firmware but it didnt help. Any ideas? 
thanks!

You haven't mentioned whether you are using ethernet on PC, or whatever... but I suspect that you are using wireless on the other devices you mentioned. Wireless is not useful for gauging if you're getting correct speeds through ISP. Even then the ISP usually has a clasue that states it is "upto 80Mbps) and at least in the UK usually tells you a minimum you should expect.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 12/28/2016 at 11:07 PM, paddy-stone said:

You haven't mentioned whether you are using ethernet on PC, or whatever... but I suspect that you are using wireless on the other devices you mentioned. Wireless is not useful for gauging if you're getting correct speeds through ISP. Even then the ISP usually has a clasue that states it is "upto 80Mbps) and at least in the UK usually tells you a minimum you should expect.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:47 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

You need to test it using an ethernet cable. Any modern cable can handle those speeds.

If you're still not getting those speeds with a wired connection, then it's most likely on their end. Have a technician come out and physically inspect everything.

On 12/27/2016 at 2:42 AM, xGGAx said:

can you do a speed test using am ethernet cable?
also, I assume you are on wireless N? signal quality decreases rapidly if you have obstacles(concrete walls for instance) or several devices using the same frequency( microwave oven, cordless phone, etc) .

I have tried using a cable with a laptop but the laptop gets no internet via cable so theres a problem aswell... I still think that over Wi-Fi there shouldnt be drops that are over 60Mbps less than what they should be. My PC has no obstacles on the way to the router, its like 4 meters away and still gets drops like that. I am waiting on a longer cable so I can connect my PC via cable so I cannot test it rn. Im assuming its the routers fault? This started happening when i upped the speeds...

What service are you paying for eg ADSL/VDSL?

What equipment do you have? which modem/router?

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

What service are you paying for eg ADSL/VDSL?

What equipment do you have? which modem/router?

I think its ADSL.
Modem is CISCO EPC3208
Router is TP-LINK wr1043nd

46 minutes ago, IoWii said:

I think its ADSL.
Modem is CISCO EPC3208
Router is TP-LINK wr1043nd

Ok, well I don't know anything about cable modems unfortunately, but pretty cure you're using cable rather than adsl/vdsl.

Have you tried plugging an ethernet cable directly from the modem to the PC? or even to the router with direct line ethernet to PC... and test speeds. This should give you a pretty good idea of what your MAX speed would be.

Then if using wifi, you should expect the speeds to be less depending on distance from antennas, which band you're using and obstacles between the router and client devices.

Try moving your dad's laptop into the router room and testing, then moving away from it and testing again... etc etc. This will give you an idea of what I mean about distance/obstacles making a difference to speed of connection.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about this, unless you invest in something like wired access points. The access points will use ethernet to give you another wifi signal to use, they can be expensive, but more importantly they need to be wired in, so you need access to either under floor or ceiling in most cases and can be fiddly to install.

Try what I said first, at least then you know whether your modem is getting the speeds it should from the ISP and that the problem may lay in the wifi signal not being good enough.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini