Windows 10 defend against cracking user password

FilipSebik

Hello, today my dad got raged because I always lock my PC when I go to WC or somewhere. He always wants to sit here, watch videos about nuclear sh*t (he got that from me) and never let me back. It's not because I do something bad. He just wants to crack my password and I want to protect against it. I just changed my password to longer with more numbers and upper and lowercase letters and I don't want to encrypt my drive with Bitlocker because I want to enter 1 password to get into my PC and not 2 (1 for SSD and other for user). I can't setup a BIOS password to stop booting from USB because he can just reset it or take the battery out and it will be gone. What should I do? I want option that I can recover my password when I forget it. Thanks

WIndows has a inherent flaw so no matter how long the password it can be crack instantly. 

Using a MS account instead of a local can help mitage that issue

Just now, Arty said:

-SNIP-

So if I use my microsoft account to log in, will it help me?

9 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

I want option that I can recover my password when I forget it.

WIndows password should be fine for this

Id just run bitlocker or true crypt though. And lock the bios + put a lock on the back of the case.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours/

Also there was a guy on the forums that commercially "restores" passwords with a GPU cluster

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 minutes ago, Arty said:

WIndows has a inherent flaw so no matter how long the password it can be crack instantly. 

You can't crack it easily, but you can change it easily.

Its not a windows problem, mac os  x and linux(and almost every password system) are the same this way.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

WIndows password should be fine for this

Id just run bitlocker or true crypt though. And lock the bios + put a lock on the back of the case.

Meheh, I have a big suitcase with lots of workshop tools, He would probably saw that off :D

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

Meheh, I have a big suitcase with lots of workshop tools, He would probably saw that off :D

Just use full disk encryption. Why not get your dad their own computer?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't crack it easily, but you can change it easily.

Its not a windows problem, mac os  x and linux(and almost every password system) are the same this way.

yea crack is the wrong word, you literally can just boot and reset the password. with the accessibility  file swap trick. 

I agree on FDE, its really the only true protection for what you're talking about.  That and a user level account for your dad if your not wanting to share over your stuff, though if you honestly believe he has that level of technical competence(reseting windows passwords, cracking would never be worth it, especially if he doesn't have access to a computer already :P) then its up to you.

Bitlocker works the way you need it to I guess?

Here is my laptop with bitlocker starting:

But I guess, in your case the best thing would be to use a quite long password, for a Microsoft account and you should be golden (and consider enabling bitlocker)

Also what the heck is up with these videos xD

Armed with Google, I can take on the world*

*:Hopefully

Because he is lazy af to turn on his tablet/laptop and my PC is the beefiest one in my family and I am worried that full disk encryption will take too long, but I have an SSD

Because he is lazy af to turn on his tablet/laptop and my PC is the beefiest one in my family and I am worried that full disk encryption will take too long, but I have an SSD

as long as you use bitlocker it really shouldn't be a problem (I think you can even continue using your machine while it is going on)

then don't shut it down. A windows password is fine is its running.

Full disk encrypt it, don't shut it down(sleep it) and its gonna be hard to get pas that.

1 minute ago, T0242 said:

Bitlocker works the way you need it to I guess?

Here is my laptop with bitlocker starting:

But I guess, in your case the best thing would be to use a quite long password, for a Microsoft account and you should be golden (and consider enabling bitlocker)

Also what the heck is up with these videos xD

That bass almost broke my headphones

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

then don't shut it down. A windows password is fine is its running.

Full disk encrypt it, don't shut it down(sleep it) and its gonna be hard to get pas that.

Nice thing that you said here but I turn off my PSU every time I turn off my PC because my GPU power indicator led shines AF

So, bitlock entire SSD and microsoft account login is golden, almost unbeatable

Just now, FilipSebik said:

That bass almost broke my headphones

ouch I'm sorry (it's not that bass heavy, it's something wrong with the way my phone likes to record audio ;-; )

(and that start was extremely slow because it has the bios boot stuff enabled for booting into other os')

So, bitlock entire SSD and microsoft account login is golden, almost unbeatable

yup, you should just do that,

I don't know how familiar your dad is in IT, but you could also just (only if you are going away for longer) set your IP of your machine outside of your normal range (or delete the default gateway) and even if the machine works it will not have access to the internet.

2 hours ago, FilipSebik said:

Hello, today my dad got raged because I always lock my PC when I go to WC or somewhere. He always wants to sit here, watch videos about nuclear sh*t (he got that from me) and never let me back. It's not because I do something bad. He just wants to crack my password and I want to protect against it. I just changed my password to longer with more numbers and upper and lowercase letters and I don't want to encrypt my drive with Bitlocker because I want to enter 1 password to get into my PC and not 2 (1 for SSD and other for user). I can't setup a BIOS password to stop booting from USB because he can just reset it or take the battery out and it will be gone. What should I do? I want option that I can recover my password when I forget it. Thanks

There are guest accounts for a reason .... (not to sound cynical or sarcastic)

Create an account that he can use but cannot access file you do not want him to see. :) 

Hope that helps.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

There are guest accounts for a reason .... (not to sound cynical or sarcastic)

Create an account that he can use but cannot access file you do not want him to see. :) 

Hope that helps.

I don't have any "files" that I don't want him to see, but he will just sit here on the internet watching things and not let me go back here for more than 4 hours

15 hours ago, FilipSebik said:

I don't have any "files" that I don't want him to see, but he will just sit here on the internet watching things and not let me go back here for more than 4 hours

Then why worry about locking our system and him knowing your password?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Then why worry about locking our system and him knowing your password?

Because if he knows my password, then RIP my time on my PC and I can sell it then

19 hours ago, FilipSebik said:

Because if he knows my password, then RIP my time on my PC and I can sell it then

Sounds to me like you have a personal problem to me....

You don't want him to have your password, you don't want to create a guest account, so essentially what you want is you dad off your pc.

Sounds to me like you need to tell your dad to use his table or buy his own pc ... that or give him access to your pc and let him know that when you home it is off limits so you can use it yourself.

:| 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 12/26/2016 at 3:18 AM, FilipSebik said:

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Sounds to me like you have a personal problem to me....

You don't want him to have your password, you don't want to create a guest account, so essentially what you want is you dad off your pc.

Sounds to me like you need to tell your dad to buy himself a tablet or pc of his own... that or give him access to your pc and let him know that when you home it is off limits so you can use it yourself.

:| 

Did you read this post? The op said that his dad has a tablet.

10 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Did you read this post? The op said that his dad has a tablet.

I did read it .. it was suppose to be "use his table or buy his own pc" ... my typo. *Fixed*

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER