I got a SSD but I have windows on my hard drive.

will2135

So this crismis I got a 500Gb SSD that I want to but Windows on and games but I have installed windows on my hard drive.I still have my windows donload key so I could but it on my ssd but I dont realy know what I should do. Could someone tell me how and link a youtube video thnaks

Pc Specs

CPU: I7 6700k 4.5Ghz  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4  Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i v2  Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB/Hitachi Deskstar 3TB  Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Founders Edition Case: Corsair 750D Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Keyboard: Corsair k70 Mouse: rival 300 

You can clone the hard drive over to the SSD if it's more convenient for you.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can clone the hard drive over to the SSD if it's more convenient for you.

Well the thing is I could do that but on my hardrive has like 1Tb worth of things and my SSD is only 500Gb so..

Pc Specs

CPU: I7 6700k 4.5Ghz  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4  Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i v2  Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB/Hitachi Deskstar 3TB  Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Founders Edition Case: Corsair 750D Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Keyboard: Corsair k70 Mouse: rival 300 

1 minute ago, will2135 said:

Well the thing is I could do that but on my hardrive has like 1Tb worth of things and my SSD is only 500Gb so..

move the important things like the boot and games you want to boot faster to the SSD then delete windows from the HDD and select your primary boot device (your SSD) in the bios.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

move the important things like the boot and games you want to boot faster to the SSD then delete windows from the HDD and select your primary boot device (your SSD) in the bios.

how would I move it? Could I just deleat eveything on my Hard drive and reinstall things?

Pc Specs

how would I move it? Could I just deleat eveything on my Hard drive and reinstall things?

you could either copy it over, or just install a fresh version of Windows on that SSD.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

you could either copy it over, or just install a fresh version of Windows on that SSD.

ok I think I will do that and when I do that could I just leave the old windows on my hard drive?

Pc Specs

Just now, will2135 said:

ok I think I will do that and when I do that could I just leave the old windows on my hard drive?

Why would you want to?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Why would you want to?

How would I go around to delete windows 

Pc Specs

Just now, will2135 said:

Do not leave windows on the HDD, because your motherboard will see it as a boot device and that may slow down your boot times.  Try and delete windows off of the HDD after you install it on the SDD.

My current rig:

Just now, will2135 said:

How would I go around to dealt windows 

You can just delete the folders, but what are you trying to keep exactly?

You can just delete the folders, but what are you trying to keep exactly?

so when I builded my Pc I only bout a HDD and not a SSD and I just got one so I want to but windows on my SSD 

Pc Specs

so when I builded my Pc I only bout a HDD and not a SSD and I just got one so I want to but windows on my SSD 

Are you trying to retain any programs?

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Are you trying to retain any programs?

Just windows but I have the key for it so I dont need to copy it over 

Pc Specs

Just now, will2135 said:

Just windows but I have the key for it so I dont need to copy it over 

Do a fresh install of Windows on the SSD, and delete everything from the hard drive except for the media, including any video games you may have stored.

Do a fresh install of Windows on the SSD, and delete everything from the hard drive except for the media, including any video games you may have stored.

Ok Thanks!! So I just plug eveything in for the SSD and select as boot drive? and then I will install windows?!?

Pc Specs

2 minutes ago, will2135 said:

Ok Thanks!! So I just plug eveything in for the SSD and select as boot drive? and then I will install windows?!?

You want to select your installation media first, whatever that is. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You want to select your installation media first, whatever that is. 

ok thanks!

Pc Specs