3.5'' Drive on the go?

Peter Eric

Hey there, here's my problem. I recently bought a couple of games (SW BF,BF1) and wanted to download them. With a 20gb/Month plan I have no luck in doing so. So the only way is to download them on the unlimited wi-fi in my old house. So basically I want to keep the hard disk (3.5'') there (since I am using a PC) and let it download on its own while the PC remain in its place. Is there a contraption I can make somehow to let the drive run and download (Possibly connected to a cheap laptop) on its own? Is there a better solution? Thanks for your time.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can buy a 3.5" hard drive external enclosure and have the laptop do the thing for you into it.

Will I be able to boot from it though?

1 minute ago, Peter Eric said:

Will I be able to boot from it though?

Not from an external enclosure. And there's no way to boot Windows from an external enclosure. Except possibly for eSATA, but that's an almost dead port now.

Admittedly I'm a little confused what you really want other than something to download stuff on the other internet into your hard rive.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Not from an external enclosure. And there's no way to boot Windows from an external enclosure. Except possibly for eSATA, but that's an almost dead port now.

Admittedly I'm a little confused what you really want other than something to download stuff on the other internet into your hard rive.

I want to boot from it to launch origin and start the download, I have to boot from it to start it right?

5 minutes ago, Peter Eric said:

I want to boot from it to launch origin and start the download, I have to boot from it to start it right?

No. An external enclosure will make the hard drive look like an external hard drive. You have the laptop download whatever it is into the hard drive and then when you want to take it home, you can take the external enclosure with you and put the hard drive back into your computer. You could also get a hard drive dock. It's probably more convenient that way. It does the same thing as an external enclosure.

EDIT: Otherwise no, there's nothing "cheap" to have a hard drive download something on its own short of an entire computer of some kind.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No. An external enclosure will make the hard drive look like an external hard drive. You have the laptop download whatever it is into the hard drive and then when you want to take it home, you can take the external enclosure with you and put the hard drive back into your computer.

You could also get a hard drive dock. It's probably more convenient that way. It does the same thing as an external enclosure.

Aha, Thanks for your time sir.