What's the chances Ryzen beat the 7700k at gaming?

Will Ryzen be able to beat the 7700k at gaming?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ryzen be able to beat the 7700k at gaming?

• Yes, AMD will be able to beat the 7700k at gaming with Ryzen.
    • No, Ryzen will be unable to compete with the 7700k at gaming.

Ok, crystal ball time.

Gaming is still the domain of high clocks and IPC, not so much core counts. We have seen "leaked reviews" of the 7700k and just like it's predecessor the 6700k it appears to be the best money is no object option for a gaming CPU beating out even the much more expensive 6950x.

So I was wondering, how many of you think AMD with all their promises around Ryzen will be able to pull off a coup and have Ryzen (any SKU, not just the 8C 16T version that's been shown off) scale well enough to be able to take on the 7700k at gaming?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

i like jetpacks. amd does not make jetpacks

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Why ask stupid queations that NOBODY can answer when reviewer benchmarks are just around the corner?

This has already been beaten to death many times.

The answer is maybe.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I find it strange that you've only presented the two extremes as the only options for your poll. Ryzen doesn't have to beat Intel's i7 7700K to be a competitive product.

As pointed out already, speculating is pointless when the product's launch is virtually around the corner. Wait for the benchmarks and then you'll have the definitive answer to your question.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 hours ago, Litargirio said:

Why ask stupid queations that NOBODY can answer when reviewer benchmarks are just around the corner?

This has already been beaten to death many times.

The answer is maybe.

Hell no is the answer. Have you seen any benchmarks lately? Expect broadwell performance, which is good, but skylake and kabylake, which is basically the same thing, is way faster for single core speed.

4 hours ago, Kumaresh said:

Given that a Ryzen CPU was good enough to be paired with a graphics card which is probably stronger than the GTX 1080, It should handily beat or at least match the 7700k in gaming.

Prediction

Unless you pair the 7700k with the Vegas card, then it beats Ryzen with Vegas. Thus 7700k is better. 

The second option in your poll I don't really like. Just because it doesn't "beat" the 7700K doesn't mean it can't compete with it. That is to say, it may not beat it, but it may be very very close to it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

13 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

Hell no is the answer. Have you seen any benchmarks lately? Expect broadwell performance, which is good, but skylake and kabylake, which is basically the same thing, is way faster for single core speed.

A 4-core with HT vs a marginally slower 8-core with SMT? I'd take the latter any time.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Whether AMD beats the 7700k or not is only half the story.

Say the 7700k beats the new RyZen flagship CPU. Great, no one will be surprised. But what might be interesting is if AMD comes close to Intel's performance, and manages to undercut their price. AMD has done a pretty good job at targeting budget PC builders for a while now. My prediction for RyZen is we'll see last-gen i7 performance, at the price of an i5. Which is fantastic news for gamers. I think it's pretty well accepted that a current-gen i7 is NOT needed for gaming, and saving money on a decent CPU means more money spent on a GPU, which is what matters the most in a system, at least for gaming.

Video production is a whole different animal and that might be who Intel is going to target post RyZen launch.
Either way, this launch is going to shake up the market.

I personally think that the 7700K will beat Ryzen in single-core performance. But at the end of the day, the 7700K is a quad core CPU. We've been on quad core for about a decade now. With every passing year, more and more applications (games included) are demanding more and more threads. In overall performance, the 8 core Ryzen CPU will probably narrowly beat the 7700K. 

In my opinion, AMD should release a 6 core SKU with high clocks, targeting the 7700K. 

For me, I'm planning an enthusiast build next year. Skylake-E 6-8 core or Ryzen are on my radar. If Ryzen doesn't live up (has to come within 5% of the 6900K in overall, and 5-10% of the 7700K in single core), then Skylake-E I go. I need the cores for my workloads. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

23 hours ago, Litargirio said:

A 4-core with HT vs a marginally slower 8-core with SMT? I'd take the latter any time.

We're talking purely gaming here, so 7700k all the way 

Ryzen main competitor is Broadwell-E, not your 7700k.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

There's been a leak showing the gaming performance of Ryzen to be around that of a i6-6600k. So, no. Won't beat it
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/

When it comes to rendering however, it will be strong. (ofc, 8C/16T gotta do something)

So for a streamer/youtuber it could actually be interessting. The interessting part will be the price as it's main trade of is time saving vs performance with gaming/rendering.

2 hours ago, staubgame said:

There's been a leak showing the gaming performance of Ryzen to be around that of a i6-6600k. So, no. Won't beat it
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/

When it comes to rendering however, it will be strong. (ofc, 8C/16T gotta do something)

So for a streamer/youtuber it could actually be interessting. The interessting part will be the price as it's main trade of is time saving vs performance with gaming/rendering.

Woah, a 4 core running at 3.9 GHz beats an 8 core running at 3.3GHz in gaming! No way!

/s

But seriously, given how close they are, it seems to me that, clock for clock, Ryzen is better than skylake in single core performance (gaming).

However it's really not worth it to debate this until we get actual benchmarks of retail CPUs from reputable outlets.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.