How would one fill a loop like this?

Anotic

Heya, I'm looking at making a custom loop similar to this in the pictures below, but I can't quite figure out how he's managed to fill it. Anyone have any ideas?

Might be important to note that I've never done a loop before so this will be my first attempt at one.

95a84b0d94.jpg

Thanks!

His reservoir will have 2 ports on top and most people keep a small piece of pipe and a fitting seperate then you just undo the second (unused) port, attach your fitting and fill through that.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

His reservoir will have 2 ports on top and most people keep a small piece of pipe and a fitting seperate then you just undo the second (unused) port, attach your fitting and fill through that.

are you sure about that? i'm pretty sure this is the reservoir he's using: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33665/ek-xres-140-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-pump-reservoir-combo

there's only one port there. 

i know there's a multiport top you can purchase but it doesn't look like he's using that?

1 minute ago, Anotic said:

are you sure about that? i'm pretty sure this is the reservoir he's using: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33665/ek-xres-140-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-pump-reservoir-combo

there's only one port there. 

i know there's a multiport top you can purchase but it doesn't look like he's using that?

Doesn't have to be through the res, you can fill through any spare port in the loop.

The main thing to remember when filling, use a funnel and take it slow because rushing will mean spillages (I found that out the hard way on my first loop, killed my 970).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

If they are using this radiator, then there would be two extra ports on the top that you can use as fill ports.

only the thickest model has those fill ports by the looks of it, I need a 25mm rad unfortunately since there's not enough clearance from my ram in my case...

would you happen to know of any others with fill ports that are slim?

10 minutes ago, Anotic said:

only the thickest model has those fill ports by the looks of it, I need a 25mm rad unfortunately since there's not enough clearance from my ram in my case...

would you happen to know of any others with fill ports that are slim?

I don't know of any that are 25mm, but this one is 30mm: http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-leviathan-slim-360-4xg1-4-radiator.html

looks the builder has done a very good job of hiding the tube or port they use to fill

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

As Arthur C. Clarke said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. So this is clearly magic. BURN THE WIZARD!

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

12 hours ago, Anotic said:

Heya, I'm looking at making a custom loop similar to this in the pictures below, but I can't quite figure out how he's managed to fill it. Anyone have any ideas?

Might be important to note that I've never done a loop before so this will be my first attempt at one.

Thanks!

A simple way would be to tip the unit on it's side and fill via the extra front port on the res/pump unit using some fittings and tubing, capping off the port, turn on the pump to cycle the fluid and repeat unit the loop is full. 

2 hours ago, W-L said:

A simple way would be to tip the unit on it's side and fill via the extra front port on the res/pump unit using some fittings and tubing, capping off the port, turn on the pump to cycle the fluid and repeat unit the loop is full. 

that sounds like the easiest solution, will give it a go once my parts get here. thanks mate.

Tilt it on the side and fill it through the pump/res port.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

just thought i'd do a follow up post;

i ended up filling it from the empty port next to the outlet by putting the case on its side as suggested by a few of you, worked great!

first loop complete and i'm please with the end result :)

thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

2a647da5a4.jpg

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Are those Titans in SLI...

they're painted 980ti's in sli :P

Uc0phY0.jpg

I see you wen't Linus' way of paining GPUs except it actually looks good.

Shame you didn't liquid cool those GPUs though. They benefit from it way more than your CPU.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I see you wen't Linus' way of paining GPUs except it actually looks good.

Shame you didn't liquid cool those GPUs though. They benefit from it way more than your CPU.

hahaha, painted these using techsources terrible video before linus's was out.

i wanted to, but the cpu loop cost me $600 AUD, and i don't want to lose the look of the reference cooler which i like too much