Advise needed on building a NAS- Hardware/software

Blitz 98

Hey guys,

I have been looking to build a NAS for a while now and I really don't know what hardware I shall get.
I need some help/advise on getting: ( bare in mind the household has 7 people with 3-5 active members)
Motherboard (I need enough sata ports as well as PCI slots for future expansion with HDMI port)
CPU ( I would prefer Intel, also it would be great if it gives me perfect performance and doesn't consume a lot of electricity)
Rams (anything from 8 and above)
Power supply (I will need a power supply that can run all of the hardware and could stay for further expansion)

I have chosen to go with these as it will allow future expansion: (pictures attached below)

Sharkoon T9 ATX Midi Tower Case

Icy Dock FlexCage Trayless 5x 3.5-inch in 3x 5.25-inch SATA HDD Cage

WD Red 4tb hard drives x2

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB ssd

I want this NAS mainly for PLEX, Backup other computers in the house and could be accessed from outside the house.

Advises, suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you

Icy dock 2.jpg

Icy dock.jpg

Sharkoon T9.jpg

SSD.jpg

WD Red 4tb.jpg

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

2 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Those would be good for a small NAS. however i want a motherboard that will gives me enough SATA pots, PCI slots for future expansion, HDMI and for the CPU the cerelon G1840 would give me around 1 person to stream as i mentioned above i have 3-5 active family members that will be using it. 

thank you for your suggestions 

Id really suggest getting something like a basic synology nas. There plug and play and use much less power than a home made one.

How about this https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Network-Attached-DS1515/dp/B00VUYHDNC/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQWHEG1ZK24XVF9MWG7Z

For home made, Id get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

or the cheap 4 core version.

No need for a ssd, id just install centos on a usb drive. A ssd won't speed anything up over a standard gig network connection.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really suggest getting something like a basic synology nas. There plug and play and use much less power than a home made one.

How about this https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Network-Attached-DS1515/dp/B00VUYHDNC/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQWHEG1ZK24XVF9MWG7Z

For home made, Id get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

or the cheap 4 core version.

No need for a ssd, id just install centos on a usb drive. A ssd won't speed anything up over a standard gig network connection.

i have a WD my cloud ex2, its great but it is not powerful enough for most of the things thats why i am thinking of building my own.

Just now, Blitz 98 said:

i have a WD my cloud ex2, its great but it is not powerful enough for most of the things thats why i am thinking of building my own.

That synology is failry power and will run plex fine.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

That synology is failry power and will run plex fine.

what do you think of Qnap NAS's?

I highly recommend a Synology NAS. They've done some great work on making your NAS to function as a fully capable private cloud. They even have Office apps similar to Google's Office apps. Not quite as good as Microsoft's Office Suite but capable for most basic uses. 

I'm in the same situation. can't decide if buy a qnap ts-251+ or building my own nas. The only problem with pre-built nas is that their cpu is not as much powerful. Officially plex require a passmark of 2000 for one full HD transcoded stream. So any of the pre-built Home Nas wouldn't give you more then 1 transcoded stream. 

Plex allows you to pre transcode the video but that means having several version of the same content and increasing the occupied space on the HD.

A custom solution would be great but more expensive, and i'm still thinking of which parts to buy. I have come up with something like that:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r9ryHN

The case has room for 6 3.5" HD
Motherboard has 4 sata 6gb and HDMI plus gigabit Ethernet

SSD is 120gb for running something like freenas would be OK

The cpu is a bit pricier but would give 3 simultaneous transcoded stream.

If i'm saying something wrong please correct me ;D