Consumer report: "New MacBook Pros Fail to Earn Consumer Reports Recommendation"

suicidalfranco

Macbook-Pro-Battery-Level.jpg

This just in people: Consumer Report is now an official Apple hater spewing poison at the only courageous, future leading tech company in the world in the same way this Forum does!

/s

Jokes aside, Consumer report as decided not to give their seal of approval to the 2016 model due to their abysmal battery life, and no, if you still didn't get the sarcasm from "/s" above (which many probably won't) CR is not an Apple hater, heck previous iteration were always recommended. So what happened to this years models?

They tested in their labs all 3 MBP released this year: the 13" no-touch-bar, 13" touch bar and 15"; did their usual battery life tests, yes tests as in multiple time to draw draw a battery life average, and here are their results:

13": 16 hours first run, 12.75 hours second run, 3.75 hours third

13" non: 19 hours first run, 4.5 hours second

15": from 18.5 hours down to 8.

All three models were retail units, so what they had is what you would get if you went up to an apple store right now. Also here's details on consumer reports battery test methodology used on all laptop they review 

Consumer Reports tests hundreds of laptops each year, using identical procedures in highly controlled conditions.

For the battery test, we download a series of 10 web pages sequentially, starting with the battery fully charged, and ending when the laptop shuts down. The web pages are stored on a server in our lab, and transmitted over a WiFi network set up specifically for this purpose. We conduct our battery tests using the computer’s default browser—Safari, in the case of the MacBook Pro laptops.

During the tests, we set each laptop screen to remain on. We use an external meter to set the display brightness to 100 nits—a typical level you might use indoors or out. And, we turn off any automatic brightness adjustment in the laptop’s settings.

We also update every computer's operating system before we begin any testing. We began our tests several weeks ago, but repeated the battery tests using macOS Sierra 10.12.2 after it was released. We saw no difference in the results.

Increasingly, we see that the performance of all kinds of products—not just computers and smartphones—can be influenced by software updates. If Apple updates its software in a way that the company claims will substantively change battery performance, we will conduct fresh tests.

Once our official testing was done, we experimented by conducting the same battery tests using a Chrome browser, rather than Safari. For this exercise, we ran two trials on each of the laptops, and found battery life to be consistently high on all six runs. That’s not enough data for us to draw a conclusion, and in any case a test using Chrome wouldn’t affect our ratings, since we only use the default browser to calculate our scores for all laptops. But it’s something that a MacBook Pro owner might choose to try.

Also notice the word i put on bold in the quote, the test was repeated after the release of the update that removes the battery life estimate, and no changes were noticed.

source: http://www.consumerreports.org/laptops/macbook-pros-fail-to-earn-consumer-reports-recommendation/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Is the picture at the head of the post loading for you guys? i see it when i try to edit the post but doesn't show up after i save it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Is the picture at the head of the post loading for you guys? i see it when i try to edit the post but doesn't show up after i save it

shows up broken for me

Picture at head did not load.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, tlink said:

shows up broken for me

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Picture at head did not load.

mmmhhhh... how do you ask for mods to help?

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

mmmhhhh... how do you ask for mods to help?

@Ryan_Vickers @Windspeed36

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Meanwhile they're selling like hot cakes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

thank you :)

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Meanwhile they're selling like hot cakes.

every apple product ever... or since the iPod, depends on the point of view

1 minute ago, Sampsy said:

Do you have a link to the article?

yes, forgot to add it, give me a sec

O'really, I thought it was so professional and versatile...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This really sounds like a software issue. If you get almost 20 hours of battery life one day, and less than 5 on another day doing exactly the same workload then something is broken. Doesn't sound like an hardware issue if the battery tests kept jumping back and fourth.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This really sounds like a software issue. If you get almost 20 hours of battery life one day, and less than 5 on another day doing exactly the same workload then something is broken. Doesn't sound like an hardware issue if the battery tests kept jumping back and fourth.

from how i interpreted the article it seems like only the first run stays in the high mark, after that stays consistent on the low marks, which is why CR decided to only use the low value to set their battery life average 

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

from how i interpreted the article it seems like only the first run stays in the high mark, after that stays consistent on the low marks, which is why CR decided to only use the low value to set their battery life average 

That makes sense. If that's the case then it seems like it's a hardware issue.