Local Server

So im looking to build a server for local storage and networks in my house, and i was curious anyone got any builds out there for one? looking to spend no more the 20k USD

5 minutes ago, skkler said:

20k USD

2k?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

7 minutes ago, skkler said:

So im looking to build a server for local storage and networks in my house, and i was curious anyone got any builds out there for one? looking to spend no more the 20k USD

something like this? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ngmMM8

Just now, tim19683 said:

prebuilt has never been my style

lower power, smaller, plug and play. Looks good to me. You aren't getting anything extra from going diy.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why so much ssd?

high speed cos why not

Why get a non stock cooler? Its a i3, it doesn't need it at all.

sometimes cpus can get dangerously close to thermal limits on stock coolers but whatevs

lower power, smaller, plug and play. Looks good to me. You aren't getting anything extra from going diy.

street cred xD but tbf that does look pretty good

fun, no dependence for updates on a single company, a learning experience, flexibility.

57 minutes ago, skkler said:

• $20,000 or $2,000?
  • How many users?
  • What did you want to use it for?
    • File server
    • DNS
    • Plex/media streaming
    • VM lab environment
  • What level of technical skill did you have?
  • Did this include backups?

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:
  • $20,000 or $2,000?
  • How many users?
  • What did you want to use it for?
    • File server
    • DNS
    • Plex/media streaming
    • VM lab environment
  • What level of technical skill did you have?
  • Did this include backups?

$20,000
10 users
HD file storage

moderate (An IT in the military)

and yes

2 hours ago, skkler said:

$20,000
10 users
HD file storage

moderate (An IT in the military)

and yes

What happens if this server fails? What is the expected resolution time?

(Your answer dicates whether I give you an option for DIY or off the shelf)

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

What happens if this server fails? What is the expected resolution time?

(Your answer dicates whether I give you an option for DIY or off the shelf)

Since we are talking an actual $20K (US?) my answer would pretty much always lean to off the shelf, but are there any proper NAS appliances from Dell in that range (with disks)? I think Netapp is easily too pricey, Lenovo's site is broken as shit atm so can't even look, HP has options.

QNAP actually has a custom ZFS appliance which is well within price, QNAP ES1640dc v2.

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=263

I wouldn't be spending 20K on anything for home, NZD or USD.

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Since we are talking an actual $20K (US?) my answer would pretty much always lean to off the shelf, but are there any proper NAS appliances from Dell in that range (with disks)? I think Netapp is easily too pricey, Lenovo's site is broken as shit atm so can't even look, HP has options.

QNAP actually has a custom ZFS appliance which is well within price, QNAP ES1640dc v2.

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=263

I wouldn't be spending 20K on anything for home, NZD or USD.

Since you are a somewhat basic user with plenty of money, I would recommend getting a synology. They're super easy to use, and have some pretty amazing performance. Not to mention possibly the best NAS software out there. Get a 12 bay with a 10g nic, then get a switch with 10g uplinks for the nas. Even that should keep you under 20k. If you need a new firewall, you can get a server like the dell r220, and put pfsense on it.

My native language is C++

12 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Since you are a somewhat basic user with plenty of money, I would recommend getting a synology. They're super easy to use, and have some pretty amazing performance. Not to mention possibly the best NAS software out there. Get a 12 bay with a 10g nic, then get a switch with 10g uplinks for the nas. Even that should keep you under 20k. If you need a new firewall, you can get a server like the dell r220, and put pfsense on it.

Not too bad an idea though I'd probably go with QNAP as they tend to be a bit better priced though they're also my go to so I might be a bit bias. Would steer away from the PFSense idea though as it completely defeats the purpose of buying an off the shelf server - you're giving them an off the shelf server but a DIY router?

It's difficult to say what would be best but things like the Cisco RV132W, Edgerouter Pro and Meraki MX84 could all be suitable. It really depends though on the WAN connection type,  WAN speed thus the firewall throughput that is then required and whether or not they need to be able to configure L2TP VPN's for remote users. (Note that PPTP while supported is both insecure and support is being phased out).

+1 though on getting a 10gig enabled NAS & switch combination. It's difficult to say which specific model of NAS to get though as @skkler hasn't listed his storage requirements.

As for backups, there are two ways to do it - an identical or equal capacity NAS to replicate to or otherwise offsite backup. We've got numerous clients replicating their data from the QNAP's to Azure.

4 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Not too bad an idea though I'd probably go with QNAP as they tend to be a bit better priced though they're also my go to so I might be a bit bias.

QNAP also has many more models with 10Gb support than Synology does. QNAP also typically uses much superior CPUs in comparable models to Synology and also has more RAM as standard, both of course allow you to expand the RAM.

QNAP designs are also better in my opinion, most of the desktop models have dedicated 2.5" slots for SSDs where as Synology doesn't so you lose valuable bays to gain performance. QNAP also has dual M.2 slots in almost every model apart from Home/SOHO, even the rackmount models which have rear 2.5" or M.2 (sometimes both).

So for me the only NAS brand I would buy from would be QNAP.

Edit:

As for a firewall just buy a FortiGate 60E, worth every dollar in my opinion. The IPSec throughput on this is simply amazing and SSL-VPN is still very good, both being much higher throughput than anything in it's price range through to stuff almost triple the price. That's my bias right there, plus for what ever reason I don't like anything Meraki but don't ask me why since I can't actually give a legitimate reason.

@Windspeed36 But for the budget, Synology wins in my book because of their software.

@leadeater Same as for Windspeed. We should not look at cost, but look at ease of use.

My native language is C++

19 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

@Windspeed36 But for the budget, Synology wins in my book because of their software.

@leadeater Same as for Windspeed. We should not look at cost, but look at ease of use.

I still really like the QNAP software, it's extremely good. So for that Synology having good software, equal or better, isn't enough to make me recommend Synology over QNAP. I'm still happy to recommend both but I would preference QNAP.

That $20,000 budget on a home NAS is just gut wrenching. Over time and years invested, I guess it's not too bad. I suppose if saving over all that time vs buying it piece by piece ends up being the same thing? Talk about self control to save and dedicate $20k to something other than a car or house.

Ok enough of that I suppose - just to clear a sneaking suspicion, this isn't for a school project or anything is it?