2017 Dell XPS 15 9560 Details

jasonwj322a
32 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

First of all, never said XPS 13 wasn't for power users but  XPS 15 is MAINLY targeted to power users.

No, but you implied it with a distinction.

8 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Its probably because the XPS 15 are for power users.

[...]

It has a discrete GPU for the reasons I listed before, pretty much its for power users.

The Kaby Lake quad core processors aren't even out yet, of course they would have to wait.

Kaby Lake dual cores weren't out when the XPS 13 was refreshed, the XPS 13 still got them. Aside from that, sure.

These laptops aren't completely different on the outside, but their performances are.

That I agree. Fair does. Shame, really. XPS 13 with a quad core i7 would've made it perfect; this i7 dual core feels like my i5 quad core in my old 15" gaming laptop, which is Haswell-E as far as I recall -- that said, there are points I see it come out on top if the task isn't core-count related.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

16 hours ago, Crowes said:

No, but you implied it with a distinction.

Kaby Lake dual cores weren't out when the XPS 13 was refreshed, the XPS 13 still got them. Aside from that, sure.

That I agree. Fair does. Shame, really. XPS 13 with a quad core i7 would've made it perfect; this i7 dual core feels like my i5 quad core in my old 15" gaming laptop, which is Haswell-E as far as I recall -- that said, there are points I see it come out on top if the task isn't core-count related.

Im pretty sure Kaby Lake dual cores were out, or at least ready for manufacturers. The quad core ones aren't even shipping to manufacturers until between December to January. The XPS 13 and XPS 15 serves different purposes so I really do think that comparing them isn't going to work. Just like how you'll compare the 13 inch MBP with the XPS 13 and the 15 inch MBP with the XPS 15.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:11 AM, jasonwj322a said:

I actually expect it to be better than the old one. The new processor should help with it.

You aren't going to get a 56wHr battery to last longer than the old 84wHr battery.

10 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

You aren't going to get a 56wHr battery to last longer than the old 84wHr battery.

You would have to read all my comments then. You are comparing 2 different things. The 56whr batteries are for the lower end models, the 84wHr batteries are for the higher end ones. I was comparing the same capacity batteries, not different ones. 

PS : It actually is possible to get the 56whr battery to outlast the 84whr one. It all depends on how you are using it.

What is up with 4k screen on so small devices 1440p would be overkill

What matters is quality brightness and contrast

2 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

the idea is to make the display sharp so that you can't see pixels.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

the idea is to make the display sharp so that you can't see pixels.

I have 1440p 24 inch ips dell and I dont see pixels 

1 hour ago, Qwerty2323 said:

I have 1440p 24 inch ips dell and I dont see pixels 

Usually people put laptops closer to their face than a monitor.

Therefore you need higher pixel density to compensate.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 12/24/2016 at 6:59 AM, Qwerty2323 said:

It really does make a difference, you would have to see them side by side. If not, the 1080p would be fine.

Seems good but I'm afraid I'm addicted to ThinkPads :(

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

even if it looks like lenovo is slowly going away from everything that makes the amazing t420 great?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

even if it looks like lenovo is slowly going away from everything that makes the amazing t420 great?

They are still the closest thing, besides the t460 and x260 seem pretty good to me

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They are still the closest thing, besides the t460 and x260 seem pretty good to me

my gripe with the 460 so far is the keyboard. really undecided to pick that up or the new alienware

edit: also no mouse buttons bellow the trackpad

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

28 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

my gripe with the 460 so far is the keyboard. really undecided to pick that up or the new alienware

edit: also no mouse buttons bellow the trackpad

I use the trackpoint so at least one of those complaints doesn't apply to me, but yeah, I preferred the old keyboard too.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/26/2016 at 6:08 AM, Sauron said:

Whats appealing to you about them? 

2 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Whats appealing to you about them? 

Keyboard quality and design, build quality, versatility.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Keyboard quality and design, build quality, versatility.

Don't forget the Lenovo bloatware, malware and Superfish! You've gotta love that!

Please don't kill me

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Don't forget the Lenovo bloatware, malware and Superfish! You've gotta love that!

Please don't kill me

I use Linux so I don't care :P

Either way I'd do a fresh install on any prebuilt machine even if I wanted windows on it. Sure, superfish was problematic even in that situation but thankfully it's gone now.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I use Linux so I don't care :P

Either way I'd do a fresh install on any prebuilt machine even if I wanted windows on it. Sure, superfish was problematic even in that situation but thankfully it's gone now.

I tried to put Linux on my previous Lenovo U41-70 and there was no Wi-Fi driver support :(.

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I tried to put Linux on my previous Lenovo U41-70 and there was no Wi-Fi driver support :(.

Rip. It works great on my x220 though

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Canada the 9560 base model is 2399.  Add in the nVidia and it hits up over 3200 before taxes.  Taxes add another 500 so you are looking at $3700 or so in Canadian dollars.  That suggests a US price of USD$2500 all in. A very expensive machine.  I can get a nice MSI gaming machine with similar specs for CDN$2400.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone looked into if the Thunderbolt 3 is using 2 or 4 PCIe lanes? I have heard mixed reports from Dell's own website (4 lanes for 40Gb/s) and reviewers with the laptop (2 lanes for 20 Gb/s). I have done a lot of digging around but can't find much info.