Internet disabled due to virus

mkessler9

Ok so aparently I installed a application that had a virus in it. The virus is not allowing me to connect to wifi or ethernet. I uninstalled the program but that problem still exists. Any ideas on how to fix it?

UPDATE: Ok so I just decided to reinstall windows 7. I'm moving all of the files over to the new install and keeping the old one for a little while just in case I come up with a solution.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Real smooth there...

So why can't you run a virus scan without internet?

Non of my virus scanners detect anything

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Fresh install

This.

Restore point.

Restore an image of the OS.

Look up the virus' name and find a fix for it.

All valid options.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

...how did you even get this "virus" to much private time 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

You should tell us the name of this application.

This.

Restore point.

All valid options.

Ok. So one I don't have a restore point. 2. I really don't want to reset my pc. 3. Idk the name of the virus as it was embedded in the software

Non of my virus scanners detect anything

Hold on, before you try ANYTHING else in this thread, are you sure it's a virus? Didn't just fuck up a setting somewhere?

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

This.Restore point.Restore an image of the OS.Look up the virus' name and find a fix for it.All valid options.

Yeah

Do

This

Vitalius

Is

Usually

Right

Hold on, before you try ANYTHING else in this thread, are you sure it's a virus? Didn't just fuck up a setting somewhere?

I'm pretty freaking sure. Because I've re installed the drivers for my Ethernet and wifi multiple times and both of them are enabled. I try to diagnose it using windows and it says that the drivers for both of them aren't working correctly. SOoo yea

I'm pretty freaking sure. Because I've re installed the drivers for my Ethernet and wifi multiple times and both of them are enabled. I try to diagnose it using windows and it says that the drivers for both of them aren't working correctly. SOoo yea

That, my friend, is a registry problem, I am 90% sure. 

Your only options are:

1. Reinstall OS

or

2. Restore Point/Image Backup restore

Since you have neither of 2, you are screwed. Sorry, but a re-install is all you've got.

They didn't disable your USB ports did they? Just copy the files to an external HDD that you don't want to lose, and move the old to the new.

Or partition your HDD into 2 sections, and reinstall your OS on the 2nd partition and copy/paste from one partition to the other, then format the old partition once you have everything you need off of it. This of course requires having your boot drive half empty at least.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This.

Restore point.

All valid options.

How would you find out the virus' name if it's not being detected?  :P

If the OP ever does find out though, that's great advice.

If you boot in safemode does the internet work?

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

I honestly don't think it is a virus, there was most likely some form of network driver that came with the application.

You should try and go back to a restore point or re-install your OS!

I hope I helped! :)

How would you find out the virus' name if it's not being detected?  :P

If the OP ever does find out though, that's great advice.

... No. He said "I uninstalled the program but that problem still exists" which implies to me that the virus is gone.

If you boot in safemode does the internet work?

This is a good idea. I always forget to try safemode.

† Christian Member †

Did you try running Malwarebytes in safe mode like I said in your other thread? Which antivirus scanners did you try?

La`~

... No. He said "I uninstalled the program but that problem still exists" which implies to me that the virus is gone.

This is a good idea. I always forget to try safemode.

If the problem still exists, doesn't that imply that the virus is still there?

If the problem still exists, doesn't that imply that the virus is still there?

Virus' can make changes, then be removed. The changes will not go with them. 

If I edit a text file then delete the user who edited it, is the text file still edited? Same principle.

† Christian Member †

Virus' can make changes, then be removed. The changes will not go with them. 

If I edit a text file then delete the user who edited it, is the text file still edited? Same principle.

But at the same time, a virus could still be there and causing the problem. For all we know, we may be dealing with more than one virus here.

Uninstalling it doesn't do anything. The infection spreads around the computer and tangles itself up in things.

An infection can still get you from a temp file, trash bin, anywhere.

Run MALWARE scans on it like Combofix, Rkill, etc. It's not a virus. All these tools can be found on Bleepingcomputer

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Uninstalling it doesn't do anything. The infection spreads around the computer and tangles itself up in things.

An infection can still get you from a temp file, trash bin, anywhere.

Run MALWARE scans on it like Combofix, Rkill, etc. It's not a virus. All these tools can be found on Bleepingcomputer

This + Spybot 2: Search and Destroy.

† Christian Member †

Woah, spybot is still here?

Spybot 2 released in the last few months I think. Definitely within the last year. So yeah. It's still here. And new.

† Christian Member †