Does higher dBi mean slower speed?

Carlos1010

Hi all,

When shopping for usb network adapter to plug in your PC, I usually run into the term dBi. I read about it and the higher it is the farther the signal of the adapter can reach but the connection get's very narrow. But also when reading it didn't talk about the speed of the adapter. Does having more dBi mean that the signal speed will decrease? Thanks in advanced!

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

It just means the actual physical power of the signal from the antennae. You typically want higher power as it is less susceptible to noise and interference which also allows for better penetration through walls.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

dBi = decibels relative to an isotropic radiator.

The higher the number, it means the antenna is more efficient,  better signal amplification, stronger signal sent in the air by the antenna, better reception of signals.

copy paste from tp-link

Decibel (dB)
This is the unit of measure of loss or gain. This value represents the ratio between two amounts of electrical or acoustical power received. In basic terms, it’s a measurement of power.

Decibel-isotropic (dBi)

This is a hypothetical reference point where an isotropic antenna transmits a signal in a perfect sphere.  It should be noted that a perfect sphere is impossible to create so 0Dbi is a realistically impossible number.

Antenna Gain
Also simply known as ‘gain’, this is a measurement of power that represents the efficiency in which the antenna converts electricity into radio waves.  When speaking in terms of antennas:

Gain + dB = dBi of an antenna  

The gain can affect the direction in which the antenna operates. The higher the gain, the more directional the antenna is. The antennas power doubles for every 3dBi.

30 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

I read about it and the higher it is the farther the signal of the adapter can reach but the connection get's very narrow. But also when reading it didn't talk about the speed of the adapter. Does having more dBi mean that the signal speed will decrease?

here is a cool picture i googled:

02fig06.jpg

dBi is more about the effective range and physical area in which you can expect a decent rf signal. The actual speed doesnt change but the speed you will observe will change because a poor signal will cause an increase in dropped packets or incomplete packets.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

High gain antennas can also be bad, they amplify both the signal and noise equally. Higher output with a lower gain antenna is much better, it's unlikely these types of details will be listed on a USB adapter though.

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) more accurately tells you if your actual throughput is going to be good or not.