Linus live stream derps

hiyayhi

watching the linus tech tips live stream and there were an abnormally large number of derps from linus.

First he showed us his email, then his cats were outside and he had to abruptly finish the live stream. He also lost an argument about how Slick's car sucks.

kinda thought this was funny, were there any more? I only tuned in about 5 mins from the end. post if there were more.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

You mean how Slick mentioned untrue things about Windows 8?

-> Review sites and me on all my systems, gaming performance where the same (+- 1-2fps on well over 60fps games), or higher than Windows 7. They are few games that showed reduce performance, but negligible, this is probably due to driver related issues and optimizations, not OS performance. Based on my observation, older GPU's show the most performance increase going to Win8 in most games.

-> While you don't have folders in the Start Screen, you have groups, and the interface is, unlike the Start Menu, fully customizable, you can put any program you want, where you want, and pin any folders you want, and aren't stuck with the limited selection of the old Start Menu.

-> Slick claims you can't search in Windows 8 Start Screen, well you can. That feature was not removed. You just type.

-> Getting to the shut down button, while I would agree with anyone it's more annoying to access, it's not impossible. The charm bar is accessible from moving your mouse to the top OR bottom, and sliding your mouse to the center to the screen (like ~1/3 of the screen height of travel it will already show. Possibly less if your resolution is higher. You also have a tutorial when you login for the first time). You can also do Win+C key. Moreover, you can simply do: Win+I to access the shutdown button, or even Alt+F4 on the desktop.

-> Screen flicker/auto-rotate is an issue he faces and not common at all.

-> USB 3.0 works fine. He probably forgot to install the drivers.

-> All software and games that run on Win7 are playable on Win8. If not, it sounds like a driver issue. People got the game running fine. Witcher 2 plays perfectly fine on my system with Win8. In fact I noticed a performance increase by 10fps over Win7. Dirt 3 plays perfectly fine on my system with Win8as well.

-> Steam require Admin under Win8? And Metro 2055 unable to get any saved games. Sounds like you broke something buddy. Steam runs perfectly fine under normal credentials.

-> Review sites and me on all my systems, gaming performance where the same (+- 1-2fps on well over 60fps games), or higher than Windows 7. They are few games that showed reduce performance, but negligible, this is probably due to driver related issues and optimizations, not OS performance. Based on my observation, older GPU's show the most performance increase going to Win8 in most games.

-> While you don't have folders in the Start Screen, you have groups, and the interface is, unlike the Start Menu, fully customizable, you can put any program you want, where you want, and pin any folders you want, and aren't stuck with the limited selection of the old Start Menu.

-> Slick claims you can't search in Windows 8 Start Screen, well you can. That feature was not removed. You just type.

-> Getting to the shut down button, while I would agree with anyone it's more annoying to access, it's not impossible. The charm bar is accessible from moving your mouse to the top OR bottom, and sliding your mouse to the center to the screen (like ~1/3 of the screen height of travel it will already show. Possibly less if your resolution is higher. You also have a tutorial when you login for the first time). You can also do Win+C key. Moreover, you can simply do: Win+I to access the shutdown button, or even Alt+F4 on the desktop.

-> All software and games that run on Win7 are playable on Win8. If not, it sounds like a driver issue. People got the game running fine. Witcher 2 plays perfectly fine on my system with Win8. In fact I noticed a performance increase by 10fps over Win7. Dirt 3 plays perfectly fine on my system with Win8as well.

-> Steam require Admin under Win8? And Metro 2055 unable to get any saved games. Sounds like you broke something buddy. Steam runs perfectly fine under normal credentials.

So true. I was thinking this when i was watching. I think he defiantly derp'd the windows 8 install :D

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

for the first point.

think he did say he thought it was some weird phenomenon and that he could not replicate it on any other system.so they acknowledged that it's not windows 8 but their system.I might be mistaken

the third point.

he didn't say you couldn't search,simply that you had to set parameters for the search,like which section to search,instead of searching everything.

the fourth point.

he said HE couldn't access the charms menu because it glitched up and wouldn't appear occasionally thus not allowing him to see the shut-down button.

though as to the short-cuts that could be a good solution.

fifth point.

pretty sure he acknowledged that it wasn't a common issue

sixth point

I don't remember him saying anything about USB 3.0,could have just missed it.

seventh point.

it could be the fact that it auto disables DX11 features due to your graphics card allowing those games to work fine,though I have no idea.

eighth point.

idk...

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I just re-listen of the live show and went point by point.

#1 he didn't say it.

#3 He said you can't search, he clearly statred what he liked about the old start menu was he can he can just type what he wants and hit enter to open it. Clearly suggesting that you can't do this in Win8.

#4, No he didnt' say it glitched up. He said he just moves his mouse, and nothing happens, clearly has no idea how to show it, despite the tutorial showing it when you first login. And it never glitches up.

#6 He did.

#7 I don't think so.

#8 While I don't have Metro 2055, Steam doesn't require admin. I know I have it. And no one else has this issue.

' date=' then his cats were outside and he had to abruptly finish the live stream. [/quote']

That's not a derp on his behalf. It's a derp on his cats behalf. One of the many annoying things about owning pets. It's not his fault he had to abruptly finish giving up 2 hours of his life voluntarily to discuss Tech and provide entertainment to go sort out something in his personal life.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

' date=' then his cats were outside and he had to abruptly finish the live stream. [/quote']

That's not a derp on his behalf. It's a derp on his cats behalf. One of the many annoying things about owning pets. It's not his fault he had to abruptly finish giving up 2 hours of his life voluntarily to discuss Tech and provide entertainment to go sort out something in his personal life.

*1 hour and 36 minutes

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Windows 8 has USB 3.0 drivers built into the OS, nothing extra to install. Possibly a hardware problem? Sounds like something went terribly wrong during his installation of Windows 8 which caused his experience to suck.

Yah.

While I am certainly not arguing that he did the right thing and went to take care of his pets as I myself would have done lets not pretend he is giving up hours of his life. The show is his job. He obviously enjoys it which is so very key in life to find something you enjoy to do for a living but in the end that is his job and some of the "fans" should prolly realize this.

Yes I agree. I just found it kind of funny.