What's VRel in terms of Perfcap Reason? And where's my bottleneck

Geeku

I've been playing Guild Wars 2 again lately after having gotten a new PC. Even though I have a 1060, my fps can dip down into the 30s. Thinking it was my CPU (I7 4790k), I monitored all of my core usages with HWiNfO. None of them go above 80%. My GPU load is rarely over 50%, my memory controller is the same and everything is basically low.

But yet, I see PerfCap Reason as 'VRel' in GPU-Z, and like I said above - my FPS can get down into the 30s (or 20s in raids). Is there something wrong with my card? What exactly does VRel performance cap mean in this situation? The game is on my SSD (850 EVO), my ram is reasonably fast (DDR3 1800mhz), I'm using the latest drivers (And used DDU to make sure everything was wiped beforehand) and everything else seems fine. Hell, it's not even just GW2, a few other games are getting lower FPS than I'd expect without using anywhere near all of my CPU or GPU.

ufd.png

With how Nvidia drivers have been lately, you should try an older version of the driver to fix your performance issues.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

According to my best friend, "right click - search Google for...", Vrel means that the GPU core is at its maximum clock speed at the current voltage level, and can't boost clock speed any further without losing stability. In simpler terms, the GPU can't boost any further unless you give it more voltage.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

2 hours ago, Weird Face said:

According to my best friend, "right click - search Google for...", Vrel means that the GPU core is at its maximum clock speed at the current voltage level, and can't boost clock speed any further without losing stability. In simpler terms, the GPU can't boost any further unless you give it more voltage.

Noooo, really?

I get that - but no one seemed to know if that was a problem or not. Some people say it is, some don't. Is it returning Vrel because there's a problem with the voltage that's preventing me from reaching my actual desired clock speed, or is it just telling me... What, exactly - that I need to raise my voltage if I want to overclock even more?

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

With how Nvidia drivers have been lately, you should try an older version of the driver to fix your performance issues.

Yeah, I was afraid of that... Especially since they just released a security patch.

2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

It's related to voltage, I believe. It's not in itself necessarily indicative of a problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting from my searching. No one seems to know for sure what it means exactly.

In simpler terms, the GPU can't boost any further unless you give it more voltage.

8 minutes ago, Geeku said:

What, exactly - that I need to raise my voltage if I want to overclock even more?

Well, I don't know how to simplify it even further. You basically get the idea it seems. You essentially have a "voltage bottleneck", not a CPU bottleneck. If it was a CPU bottleneck the message would be something like "Util", which could indicate low GPU utilization due to CPU bottleneck but more often just indicates low processing load.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W